Old 09-14-2018, 02:48 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
Charlotte , Vermont
Sport 16 Water System

I am just now realizing that I don't completely understand my water system and the owner's manual is not helpful at all. There are two drain valves under the dinette seat and there are two petcock valves under the exterior tank pan. There is a plastic water container undertake dinette seat. 1) Where is fresh water held/stored? (Not all of it can be in the plastic container.) 2) What is the purpose of the two different drain valves and the two different petcock valves? 3) I have from time to time gotten a whiff of formaldehyde--sometimes when using hot water and the water heater and another time when releasing water suing the exterior petcock valves. Does anyone know why this happens? 4) Is water pumped directly to water heater or is some stored in the heater as well?

Airstream, Inc. if you are reading this: Why is there no exterior diagram of the various "things" that are out there? (At one point in the OM there is mention of a range exhaust but after a thorough search, I don't even have one!) Why is there no plumbing diagram?

Kim
Charlotte, VT
2010 F-150, 5.4l, V8, 3.55; Bramble: 2018 Bambi Sport 16
farafield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 05:21 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by farafield View Post
I am just now realizing that I don't completely understand my water system and the owner's manual is not helpful at all. There are two drain valves under the dinette seat and there are two petcock valves under the exterior tank pan. There is a plastic water container undertake dinette seat. 1) Where is fresh water held/stored? (Not all of it can be in the plastic container.) 2) What is the purpose of the two different drain valves and the two different petcock valves? 3) I have from time to time gotten a whiff of formaldehyde--sometimes when using hot water and the water heater and another time when releasing water suing the exterior petcock valves. Does anyone know why this happens? 4) Is water pumped directly to water heater or is some stored in the heater as well?
The plastic container under the dinette seat is your one and only fresh water tank. Use it wisely.
The two drains in that location are the fresh water tank drain, and a cold water low point drain.
There should also be a drain for the hot water system, with red PEX, probably near the water heater.
Water fills the water heater either through city water (hose) or running the water pump from the fresh water tank. It does not drain back out until you physically remove the drain plug from the water heater.
Old 09-15-2018, 05:02 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
Charlotte , Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
The plastic container under the dinette seat is your one and only fresh water tank. Use it wisely.
The two drains in that location are the fresh water tank drain, and a cold water low point drain.
There should also be a drain for the hot water system, with red PEX, probably near the water heater.
Water fills the water heater either through city water (hose) or running the water pump from the fresh water tank. It does not drain back out until you physically remove the drain plug from the water heater.
Thanks for the reply! But that plastic water container sure doesn't look like 23 gallons! I'm seeing on my "window tag" "Insulated and Heated Tanks" in the Exterior section--do those have to do with water? And are they what the petcocks underneath are attached to?

Kim
Charlotte, VT
Old 09-15-2018, 05:39 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Those heated tanks would be your black and grey water waste tanks. Are you sure your ownerís manual doesnít cover some of this? Many details are buried here and there in a random fashion. Will look online when I get home later.

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 05:53 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Your combined black/grey tank is insulated, and heated by the furnace.The fresh tank is under the dinette seat, and is heated by the furnace.

And to repeat what is probably one of my most infamous directions, "RTFM".
Old 09-15-2018, 06:48 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
I believe this is your manual:

https://www.airstream.com/wp-content...ers-Manual.pdf

On p. 5-5 [PDF 33/86] and p. 8-11 [PDF 71/86] there is info about your tanks and drain valves.

Does your manual have similar sections?

Tanks!

Peter
Old 09-15-2018, 09:34 AM   #7
Selby

2014 16' Sport
Bexley , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to Burfield
Should not have a formaldehyde smell in water. Some city water has a lot of chlorine so you may smell that. I remove hot water tank plug to drain. Valves are located in closet under shelf.
No range vent. No oven.
Vents on side are hot water and refrigerator
Burfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 03:35 PM   #8
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
While standing overtime the water heater will build up a smell of hydrogen gas. Just run some water through it and you will be good to go.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 04:55 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
Charlotte , Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
Your combined black/grey tank is insulated, and heated by the furnace.The fresh tank is under the dinette seat, and is heated by the furnace.

And to repeat what is probably one of my most infamous directions, "RTFM".
Thank you but as I stated in my OP, I have RTFM, about a dozen times, and it is still not clear to me. Sorry.

Kim
Charlotte, VT
Old 09-15-2018, 05:03 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Is the manual linked in Post #6 the same one you have?
Old 09-15-2018, 05:07 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
Charlotte , Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
I believe this is your manual:

https://www.airstream.com/wp-content...ers-Manual.pdf

On p. 5-5 [PDF 33/86] and p. 8-11 [PDF 71/86] there is info about your tanks and drain valves.

Does your manual have similar sections?

Tanks!

Peter
Yes I have the OM and have read it about a dozen times. It briefly mentions gal. steel boxes that are insulated exterior tank pans that support the fresh water and holding tanks. Mentions the petcocks . But says no more about this. (Section 8-11) And, to my mind, it doesn't adequately explain the whole water system. This stuff is all new to me. But I am slowly filling in the blanks with some answers here. Thanks to those here who have been helpful.

Kim
Charlotte, VT
Old 09-15-2018, 05:42 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Yup typical AS OM! Sorry, but it will all come together.

Peter
Old 09-15-2018, 06:31 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Yes I have the OM and have read it about a dozen times. It briefly mentions gal. steel boxes that are insulated exterior tank pans that support the fresh water and holding tanks. Mentions the petcocks . But says no more about this. (Section 8-11) And, to my mind, it doesn't adequately explain the whole water system. This stuff is all new to me. But I am slowly filling in the blanks with some answers here. Thanks to those here who have been helpful.
Your trailer does not have a grey tank, nor holding pan for it. It also does not have a holding pan for you fresh tank, because it is located inside the trailer.
Old 09-16-2018, 04:29 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Kim and Charlotte,

You might want to post a new thread in the sub-forum which includes your AS:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f295/

. . . as only a fellow Sport 16 owner is going to be of much help IMO, given the mediocrity of your owner's manual.

Also, these "Sport 16 water system" search results might help:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Spor...=airforums.com

On a quick glance, it looks like other folks have shared your frustration.

Good luck,

Peter

PS -- It might be helpful, if you can, to hook up to city water and grey water sewer, then open and close all the valves in question, then see what happens! You will get your answers soon enough.

Like the adventures we all enjoy taking with our Airstreams, the answers are not always in the book.
Old 09-16-2018, 05:16 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
Charlotte , Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Kim and Charlotte,

You might want to post a new thread in the sub-forum which includes your AS:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f295/

. . . as only a fellow Sport 16 owner is going to be of much help IMO, given the mediocrity of your owner's manual.

Also, these "Sport 16 water system" search results might help:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Spor...=airforums.com

On a quick glance, it looks like other folks have shared your frustration.

Good luck,

Peter

PS -- It might be helpful, if you can, to hook up to city water and grey water sewer, then open and close all the valves in question, then see what happens! You will get your answers soon enough.

Like the adventures we all enjoy taking with our Airstreams, the answers are not always in the book.
Hey Peter, That is a good idea to go to the forums for my model. I have looked all over the place (or thought I had) but at some point you wonder about the time it's taking when there are (yes there are haha) other things to do. My main questions is about the belly structure and the petcocks attached to it. Will go to the Sport 16 folks. Tanks a lot!

Kim
Charlotte, VT
Old 09-16-2018, 05:28 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
. . .
Tanks a lot!
Welcome . . .

PS -- Edit -- If you start a new thread in that forum, suggest you put "Sport 16 . . . " in the title/heading, as your model has some unique configurations, which you are learning!
Old 09-17-2018, 02:57 PM   #17
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:

Airstream, Inc. if you are reading this: Why is there no exterior diagram of the various "things" that are out there? (At one point in the OM there is mention of a range exhaust but after a thorough search, I don't even have one!) Why is there no plumbing diagram?
Hi farafield,*

If you need assistance, please send us a direct message with your contact information and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team. We look forward to helping you get this resolved.

You can also reach Airstream Customer Service and Technical Support at*customer_support@airstream.com*

Thank you.*