Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-09-2020, 04:09 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2019 30' Flying Cloud
Grass Lake , Michigan
Solved: Water backfill into tank and pump noise

We recently suffered the 'freshwater tank filling up while on city water' issue that there are so many threads about. When we returned from our latest trip, I decided to solve the problem. Taking the expert advice from others here, I installed a check valve between the tank & pump. Also installed an accumulator tank I've been meaning to do for the past several months.

The pump has been extremely noisy since purchasing the trailer. While working on the H2O system, decided to try and solve that problem as well. Added some flex tubing on inlet & outlet sides of pump. I was planning to put the pump on resilient mounts in addition, but when I got into it, I found it already has some sort of flexible mounting system, so I left that alone. Just completed the job today and am amazed at the results wrt noise. The pump is almost silent. Water splashing in the sink is noisier than the pump now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2152.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	375355   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2149.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	375356  

oldenavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 06:22 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thumbs up

Nice clean installation, thanks for the photos!
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 07:08 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Would you possibly be able to mark up the images and explain your steps to those of us who need it explained S-L-O-W-L-Y?

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 08:27 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2020 30’ Globetrotter
Ramara , Ontario
Not sure how to “follow” this in the app so easiest route for me is to respond.

Our New 30 foot GT has a horrible hammer to the pump. Despite the manual for the pump being very clear that it is not to be connected directly to PEX, it is of course, directly connected. The pipes seem to just amplify things. Your solution is perfect.

Will see first though if it will be fixed under warranty.

Thanks
Kevin
KSA63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 04:37 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2019 30' Flying Cloud
Grass Lake , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Nice clean installation, thanks for the photos!
Thanks Peter! I just wish I could have cleaned up the factory wiring better. It's a rat's nest.
Old 08-10-2020, 05:08 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2019 30' Flying Cloud
Grass Lake , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggy Bank View Post
Would you possibly be able to mark up the images and explain your steps to those of us who need it explained S-L-O-W-L-Y?
Piggy Bank,
OK, here's an attempt. Sorry, I didn't take any 'before' photos. I marked up the photo to show what is what.

Step by step:
1) Pump off, bled off pressure from water system.
2) disconnected inlet & outlet from pump (these fittings unscrew). There's a little water tha drains out, so I used a small bowl to catch it.
3) cut PEX pipe coming from tank and to fixtures. Also cut off the removed pieces and saved the part with the attachment to the pump. Those pump fittings have to be bought from an RV or marine store, so I re-used them.
For all cuts, I made sure there was enough of a 'stub' to get a sharkbite fitting onto the end.
Did all the cutting with a tubing cutter as the sharkbite (or Watts) slip-on fittings are sensitive to having a clean cut end of the pipe.
4) There are no 'PEX to vinyl tubing' adapters out there (that I could find), so I made my own. Each fitting is a PEX - 1/2"NPT mated to a '1/2" NPT to 1/2" barb fitting.
5) found room for & made a mount for the accumulator tank using some scrap wood laying around.
6) Used short 1/2" screw-on connector that came with accumulator to mount factory strainer on pump inlet.
7) cut new PEX pipe to fit between accumulator & fixtures
8) installed check valve on tank supply pipe.
9) laid out hose lenghts & connected them up.
10) tightened hose clamps
11) turned on system & checked for leaks.

My parts list: All from local home center except last item

- 5' length of 1/2" PEX pipe
- 10' roll of 1/2" reinforced vinyl tubing
- Package of 1/2" Sharkbite elbows (used 3 of 5 that came in pkg)
- 1 1/2" Sharkbite coupling
- 4 - 1/2" NPT to 1/2" barb fittings
- 4 - 12/" NPT to 1/2" PEX Sharkbite fittings
- 1 roll of teflon tape for NPT fittings
- 4 stainless steel hose clamps
- 1 - 1/2" Sharkbite check valve
- 1 - Shurflo Accumulator tank: https://www.amazon.com/SHURFLO-182-2.../dp/B000N9VF6Q
Hope this helps,
Tim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2152_markup.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	375385  
Old 08-10-2020, 05:12 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2019 30' Flying Cloud
Grass Lake , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSA63 View Post
Not sure how to “follow” this in the app so easiest route for me is to respond.

Our New 30 foot GT has a horrible hammer to the pump. Despite the manual for the pump being very clear that it is not to be connected directly to PEX, it is of course, directly connected. The pipes seem to just amplify things. Your solution is perfect.

Will see first though if it will be fixed under warranty.

Thanks
Kevin
Ours was terrible as well. That's why I added the accumulator. Now we have no water hammer from pump or flushing the toilet which was also pretty bad.
Good luck with the warranty! I hope they do something for you.
Old 08-10-2020, 06:35 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Clayton , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldenavy View Post
Ours was terrible as well. That's why I added the accumulator. Now we have no water hammer from pump or flushing the toilet which was also pretty bad.

Thanks for the description and photos. Wonder if I have room for an accumulator. As I recall when I added the plumbing to suck antifreeze from a jug directly into the pump there isn't much room in my trailer.
TV: 2017 Ford F250 Lariat w/ Blue Ox Sway Pro
AIRForums #126944 WBCCI #1297
Baby Zeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 01:03 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1973 21' Globetrotter
1975 26' Argosy 26
Vista , California
The trick to quiet pump is installing the accumulator, it is amazing what the difference is!
bibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 02:03 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Sarasota , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldenavy View Post
We recently suffered the 'freshwater tank filling up while on city water' issue that there are so many threads about. When we returned from our latest trip, I decided to solve the problem. Taking the expert advice from others here, I installed a check valve between the tank & pump. Also installed an accumulator tank I've been meaning to do for the past several months.

The pump has been extremely noisy since purchasing the trailer. While working on the H2O system, decided to try and solve that problem as well. Added some flex tubing on inlet & outlet sides of pump. I was planning to put the pump on resilient mounts in addition, but when I got into it, I found it already has some sort of flexible mounting system, so I left that alone. Just completed the job today and am amazed at the results wrt noise. The pump is almost silent. Water splashing in the sink is noisier than the pump now.

I did the same installation/retrofit my 2000 Excella with the same noise reduction
The accumulator tank made all the difference silencing the water hammer
GatorDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 02:18 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
@Oldenavy - Thanks for this. I have an antifreeze injector fitting (which I plan to use mostly to inject air into the pump output line). I knew that people were putting in isolating section of hose but I had forgotten about it. It is now on my to-do list. My classic already has the accumulator.
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 10:33 PM   #12
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
The best noise reducer I have found is the Shurflo Anti-noise kit which is two 30" hoses with fittings. Just connect them to the pump then make loops around to the tank inlet connect and the outputt to the water system. I think you will find that negates the need for an accumulator.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 01:41 PM   #13
Link’s Travels

2002 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
1999 35' XL 350 w/slide
LINCOLN , Nebraska
Noises water pump

I like to be able to hear the pump. Don’t make it so soft you can’t hear it. The sound reveals a lot of info!
MissingLink5 is offline   Reply With Quote