Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-16-2018, 03:37 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Cherryville , North Carolina
See Level install

I have a 2013 FC 25 FB that I am planing an install of a see-level monitor. I plan to install the black and grey tank strips by the discharge pipes . I know I have to drop the pan and cut an access hole . My question is where is the best place to access the fresh water tank. I have looked by the pump area but I just don’t see any way there. Looking at the manual and parts book really don’t give any insight. So if any one has any hints I would be interested in hearing about them.
Captnkirk54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 03:52 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Fredericksburg , Texas
You might look directly below the fresh water fill location. The tank is generally over the axles.
Old 11-16-2018, 05:56 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Thanks do you know where the sensor wires are. I plan on reusing the existing wire to avoid having to pull new wire.
Old 11-16-2018, 06:51 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captnkirk54 View Post
Thanks do you know where the sensor wires are. I plan on reusing the existing wire to avoid having to pull new wire.
If your trailer presently has the MicroPulse system, the wires from the tanks to the monitor are essentially telephone wires. The wire gauge in those is less than what is probably appropriate for the positive and ground (negative) wires required for each tank in the See Level system. I just installed a See Level system in our Airstream and, following the instructions, used 18 gauge wire for the connections.

It may be possible to use the existing wires to pull new positive and ground wires.

Tim
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 08:50 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Monument , Colorado
I installed a SeeLevel system last summer using the existing wires. I don't know if it was necessary, but there are four conductors in the MicroPulse system. I used two for plus and two for negative. It works fine and made the install very easy.

As to the fresh water tank, my system had an access hole cut in the belly pan just below the fresh water drain valve. I enlarged the hole a little bit and was able to install the sensor on the side of the tank. Depends on your AS year and model, but I think many are the same.

Great system! Very accurate and very useful when boondocking.
DaveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 06:55 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
I also have a 2013 25FB. In my trailer, there is access to the top and side of the fresh tank from the inside. But it may be too tight to accomplish the See Level sensor install.

In my trailer, when I need to winterize the pump and strainer, I access them by removing the panel at the back of the storage compartment under the fridge (two screws). Left of the pump, there is a square hole in the plywood floor. The fresh tank fill tube goes down through there, and the suction line to the pump come up out of it. The top of the tank is exposed. And the hole is big enough that the side of the tank (on the street side) is right there. I can touch that side of the tank, and I have taken a picture with my phone of what is down there.

I think there is enough space to fit the sensor in there. But I don't know what kind of attachment is needed. There may be no way to mount it once it is in position.

Here are a couple pictures looking down the side of my fresh tank.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FreshTankBottom.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	328080   Click image for larger version

Name:	FWTankInlet.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	172.7 KB
ID:	328081  

SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 08:01 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Monument , Colorado
The sensors have a sticky backing. Once I confirmed where I wanted mine (by masking taping it in place to make sure I got a good reading), my wife (with more slender arms) attacked it from the top and I worked it from the bottom. Only results in a few inter-marital squabbles...
DaveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 08:30 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Ssquared I saw that hole also during my winterization routine but it doesn’t look like you can get the sensor in place. I may go back in and look around some more . I did spend a good bit of time rereading all the posts about the See Level installs and feel that dropping the pan maybe the best bet. The existing wire should be fine for hooking up as they aren’t carrying a big load . The pump switch is the only one I worry about but there are several installs using the new switch with no reported problems. I am going to try and tackle this in the next week as I have some time off from work . I am still wondering if I can do this with out jacking up the trailer for a little more room. I have plenty of jack stands and a couple of jacks but the Airstream really doesn’t have a lot of good lift points.i read one post where they used a bunch of 2x lumber but I don’t like not having some stands in place also.
Old 11-18-2018, 12:07 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captnkirk54 View Post
The pump switch is the only one I worry about but there are several installs using the new switch with no reported problems.
According to the information which came with our See Level kit, "A relay is required if more than 7.5 amps is needed for the pump." Maximum draw for our pump is more than 7.5 amps and we installed a relay.

Tim

Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote