Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2008, 07:43 AM   #21
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by unionplumber
Some new Flo-Jet water pump's don't need an accumulator tank
Most of the newer generation of RV (and marine) water pumps don't need accumulator tanks. The ShurFlo Extreme Series are my particular favorites. They come in 4.0 GPM an 5.7 GPM models, have variable speed motors and are very smooth and quiet. I replaced the stock pump on my CCD with a 4.0 model last year. ........EXCELENT!!!!!!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 08:01 AM   #22
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
If you have an old Grover air pump, I would replace it now, or carry a spare.

I don't trust any compressor that old not to fail, seize, or burn out right at the start of a two week vacation.

I'll fax the instruction manual if anyone needs one.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 04:48 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
The old Grover is out, the Viair compressor is in. It fit into the space without any problem. We reused the old Grover pressure switch and it continues to cut the compressor off around 50-55 psi and on again around 30 psi. The Viair makes a little more noise and does seem to get a bit hotter during a run than the Grover, but run time to achieve pressure is way less. So far, so good. This week I'll see how it performs in real life, i.e. the Cherry Blossom Rally.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:24 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevman View Post
. . . . . Next I called the tech line at Square-D. They make every kind of pump control you could want. I ordered the model that they recommended (9013fsg2j21) with the right cut-in/cut-out pressures. I had to drill out the rivets that held the old pressure control to the bracket on top of the Grover, to get it off. Next, I put a machine screw through one of the holes into the plate of the new Square-D. I hooked up the supply wires and the motor wires to the contacts, and the copper fitting to the diaphragm port, and I was off to the races. Just a little adjusting with the pressure settings, and now I could button up the goucho for a while.
Bevman, are you still happy with the Square-D switch set-up? Since I'm replacing my TW aluminum water tank with stainless I thought I'd go ahead and replace the old Grover switch too while I have more room to work.
Old 02-06-2010, 01:16 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1960 26' Overlander
Everett , Washington
Realize it's been a while on this thread, but can any of you who have mentioned adding pressure switches to a replacement compressor provide a source for the switch? I'm also wondering if the Square-D switch worked since all the configurations of theirs that I can find are designed for 120/240 volt AC only. Any ideas for where I can find a 12 volt pressure switch that will operate in the 20-60psi range?
glang58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 11:23 AM   #26
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
The Square D pressure switches use a snap-action contact design that works fine for 12VDC. I believe that most of them carry a 24 volt DC rating as well as the various AC ratings, but even if they don't, they'll last a long time running a compressor of modest amperage.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 06:06 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

1960 26' Overlander
Everett , Washington
Thanks Jammer. Any idea how the wiring would differ? Square D only has diagrams for wiring ac and their switches have four contact posts.
glang58 is offline   Reply With Quote