Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2011, 03:14 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Col. Station , Ohio
Pump replacement

I am in the process of a complete water system replacement, less tank.

Comming out of the tank to the pump I have a shutoff, bleeder plug, and a filter. When I replace the pump is it required that I use the bleeder plug? Looks to me like it was added to the system later on for some reason. Maybe the Par pumps are not self priming?

Also the black flex hose has a coil spring inside it, I would guess to keep it from closing in the tight bends? Is that type of hose still used or something else?

Finally, what brand of new pump and filter would be best for me? The Par I'm replaceing is 3.7 gpm?

Thanks for the help.
Paul.
Flynavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 05:08 PM   #2
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
The shutoff and bleeder plug coombination is typically used to introduce antifreeze.

The coil spring helps prevent the hose from collapsing due to suction from the pump. They're not unusual. I'm not sure if my trailer has that kind of setup. It depends on the wall strength and thermal stability of the flex hose.

I believe that the Jabsco pumps have been highly regarded in conversations here. I still have the stock pump in mine which has been replaced once already (warranty) and still doesn't work as well as I would like.

Many pumps come with a strainer or have a matching strainer the manufacturer recommends. That's all you want on the inlet. If you use a filter it should be on the outlet side of the pump or should be set up just to serve the drinking water faucet.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 05:25 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Shurflo

We have no problems with a Shurflo Whisper King in over 100 nights of camping. It has a built in strainer and we chose to use the accumulator. We originally installed the top of the line Shurflo Smart Sensor and it was nothing but trouble. A good friend, who was a manager at West Marine at the time, admitted that they had a lot of returns.

We bought the Shurflo from Vintage Trailer Supply. Looks like they have switched to a new model with a 3.0 gpm flow rate: Shurflo Revolution Pump
65CV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 05:27 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Pump replacement

Greetings Paul!

Unless your current PAR pump has been deemed unrebuildable, I can't think of a reason to replace it. A rebuild kit is only about 1/4 the price of a new pump and will give you like-new performance. Unfortunately previous owners of both of my coaches installed modern RV pumps in both of my coaches prior to my purchase . . . . neither lasted more than seven total seasons before they were worn out . . . and there was no rebuild path . . . replacement only. I took a deep breath and splurged on new PAR/JABSCO pumps for both of my coaches knowing that the long-term cost of ownership would be far less than the new RV pumps with throw-away-technology.

Good luck with your research and investigation!

Kevin

P.S.: I do carry a spare PAR/JABSCO rebuild kit in each of my coaches so an emergency on-the-road rebuild won't become an issue . . . . even as a non-do-it-yourselfer, I find the rebuild process to be straight-forward and something that I may accomplish with compartive ease.
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 05:43 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Col. Station , Ohio
Thanks for the imput. The Par pump I have now seems to function well during my limited testing. Only reason I'm thinking of replaceing it is I have everything opened up now, so it will be easy to get at. If I go with a rebuild, do I just replace the filter(the existing has gobs of silicone on it) and reuse the bleeder? Not sure I understand how the bleeder is used to introduce antifreeze.

Could a nearly 40 year old Par pump be considered reliable?
Old 09-29-2011, 10:58 AM   #6
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
I wouldn't replace it if it works, unless the noise is a problem.

You could rebuild it, as Kevin describes. The kits include all the rubber components that tend to deteriorate over time.

I believe, for new installations, the smaller and quieter modern designs are probably a better choice. Quality varies, and better makers like Jabsco do offer parts and rebuild kits for these pumps. See the 31755 for example:

http://www.pumpagents.com/pdf/Jabsco...31755-0000.pdf
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 03:35 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Col. Station , Ohio
After doing a little research I've decided to keep the Par/Jabsco. It seems to work well right now so it may have been rebuilt at some point. Can't tell
by looking at it. The belt does look good. I'll run it as much as I can between now and cold weather to make sure it does not need a rebuild.

Thanks to all for the help.

Paul.