Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2015, 08:14 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
sequim , Washington
pump issues

The pump fails to pressurize the system. When i connect to water source everything works fine. Pump by itself just spits and sputters. Since a direct connect works and i can not spot any leaks, would a correct assumption be a faulty pump?
reelfastgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 08:42 PM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpt View Post
The pump fails to pressurize the system. When i connect to water source everything works fine. Pump by itself just spits and sputters. Since a direct connect works and i can not spot any leaks, would a correct assumption be a faulty pump?
Not necessarily. The pump may be failing to prime because of a leak in the inlet hose. You would not see a leak because it's above the level of the tank and doesn't have water in it until the pump sucks water up into it. The pump's check valve prevents water from back-flowing into it, so it wouldn't leak under municipal water pressure, either.
Old 06-18-2015, 08:57 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
Above comment makes sense, pump is sucking air above tank level.
TAC FL-47
2018 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 09:31 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
The original poster has a trailer, while Protagonist has an Interstate Class B motor home.

I believe that the Interstate does in fact have the freshwater tank below the level of the pump in which case a leaky suction line would behave as Protag suggests.

But all the Airstream trailers that I have seen have the freshwater tank and pump both at floor level, meaning that the pump has a positive suction head, and a leaky inlet line to the pump would result in a water leak. If that is the case in the original poster's trailer, I would have to agree that the pump is probably defective.

Might try disconnecting the hose to the inlet of the pump and see if water runs out. Could be a clogged tank outlet, hose, or pump inlet screen.
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 09:40 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvite-F View Post
But all the Airstream trailers that I have seen have the freshwater tank and pump both at floor level, meaning that the pump has a positive suction head, and a leaky inlet line to the pump would result in a water leak. If that is the case in the original poster's trailer, I would have to agree that the pump is probably defective.
Not trying to be contrary but my 2014 FC 20 and most Airstreams I have owned have had the fresh water tank below the floor with the pump at floor level. My Argosy does have the water tank above the floor but my '70's and 80's Airstreams also were below the floor.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 09:41 PM   #6
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvite-F View Post
If that is the configuration, a leak on the inlet side of the pump would be noticeable whether municipal water was connected or not, as long as the fresh tank is full.

Which brings up dumb question of the week*— Is the freshwater tank full? The OP's description of the symptoms would be the same if the fresh tank was actually empty.

(*There is no such thing as a dumb question, only dumb people like me asking them!)
Old 06-19-2015, 08:26 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
sequim , Washington
Yes, fresh water tank is full.
Old 06-19-2015, 08:44 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
First thing I would check is a clogged inlet strainer on the pump. Then make sure the inlet strainer is installed and the cap properly sealed. Then look for other leaks on the pump inlet.

Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 06:35 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2000 25' Excella
Northern , California
Failure to prime may mean a bad diaphragm, although your pump is fairly new. If that's the problem, and if it's a Shurflow pump, it's it's a 5-minute easy and inexpensive fix. You can order them on Amazon. Cheap.
Kamiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 03:29 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
sequim , Washington
just off the road so i will take some time to peer inside the cabinet that houses the pump. now, this is a 25fb queen, the floor to the rear of the trailer right by the bed has seemingly become 'loose' enough to start squeaking. you don't support this is all related to a water leak someplace do you?? any notion if this is a warranty item?
Old 06-24-2015, 07:19 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
sequim , Washington
well, lying on the floor flashlight in my mouth, i was able to move a bunch of wiring around and got a clear view of the various pipes involved. i was actually able to reach in and get my fingers on the clear plastic filter housing and i instantly knew i had found my problem. about an 1/8" turn to tighten the filter housing and presto, the pump works just great. obviously the source of air into the system. would have been very nice if AS had placed this pump in a location that would actually enable you to service this filter housing in the future. hey, AS, are you listening?????
Old 06-24-2015, 08:12 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Bingo! I win the prize!
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 10:12 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud