Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-03-2019, 08:15 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Tucson , Arizona
Pump And/Or City Water?

Howdy,

My current locations has very low water pressure making a shower less than fun. Freezing temps had me un coupling city water and using pump and I liked the higher pressure of a pump much better.

Now that past a freeze I'm back on city water but prefer the pump pressure shower!

Two questions:

Can I run pump while attached to city water or will this do something weird to the system?

And...

35 year RV'er is parked next to me and he said he NEVER uses city water and only turns on pump when he wants water. He sites numerous occasions where he's seen flooded RV's from city or even on demand pump water. He fills FW tank as needed.

Is it wise to follow this plan and use only fresh water tank water with pump with pump off till needed?

Thanks,

Warren
Rounder44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 08:39 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Hi. My user manual (2012 27FB Flying Cloud) suggests the pump can be used to supplement low pressure city water (provided the FW tank has water) - here’s the snippet:

“As a general rule the water pump should be turned off while using a city water hook up, however the water pressure at some campgrounds may be low. The water pump can be turned on to assist the city water hookup pressure. Be sure there is some water in the fresh water tank. The pump will only use the water that is needed out of the tank to bring the pressure up to the usual standard of 35 psi. NOTICE: The water pump should be turned off whenever the trailer is left unattended.”

I’ve used my trailer for more than 5 years now mostly on city water. No floods. In fact, I’ve only had unwanted water flow when I once accidentally forgot to shut the pump off and hit the road - kitchen sink somehow opened the faucet. We caught it before emptying the whole tank.

However - I purchased a hose connector with a shut off valve for my city connection (could just as easily shut off city water at the post) when leaving the campsite. Never been a problem, but belts and suspenders can’t hurt.

Good luck!!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 08:43 PM   #3
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
I am not aware of any problems that will be caused by using the pump in conjunction with city water. If your system is connected in such a manner that the pump increases the city water pressure then go ahead a do that if you prefer. I'm not a plumbing expert... maybe a more knowledgeable person will chime in here.

Regarding the idea of only using water from your tank... we do that almost exclusively in both our trailer and our van. It just seems simpler to me since we move often and it's one less thing to connect and disconnect when we arrive and depart. When we use city water we always turn off the city water when we're gone from the campground. We have seen, and have heard from other RVers, flooded RV's.
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 09:09 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
A simple reason to turn your pump off when not in the trailer is that it's most unpleasant to come home to a bunch of water on your kitchen floor, your fresh water tank empty and a pipe connection behind the silverware drawer popped off. Did that.

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 05:15 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2018 28' International
Fayetteville , Georgia
I always turn the water off when I leave the trailer unattended. I do the same at home when we go on a trip.
brick
brick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 05:17 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
As SSM suggested, what does your owner's manual have to say?
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 05:54 AM   #7
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
We be weird...we have never been 'hooked-up',waterwise 😘

Plus5 on turning the pump off...learned the hard way at 5am.🥴😠

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_109f.jpeg
Views:	118
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	331024  
Old 01-04-2019, 06:37 AM   #8
Stay Calm and Stream On

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Palm Springs , California
I have found a pattern where the fresh water tank back fills when using the water pump while hooked up to city water. I then have to reset the water check valve by disconnecting from electrical.

Now I use either the City water or the pump, my check valve does it’s job and no backfilling. Go figure.
Old 01-04-2019, 07:58 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by HHPJ View Post
I have found a pattern where the fresh water tank back fills when using the water pump while hooked up to city water. I then have to reset the water check valve by disconnecting from electrical.

Now I use either the City water or the pump, my check valve does it’s job and no backfilling. Go figure.

Please explain this. I have always believed that the water check valve is mechanical. Are you saying that it is electrical? Having a "pattern" of incidental filling means to me that it has happened often.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 08:20 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
The check valve is a mechanical device.
It is held closed by the back pressure applied as well as a small spring. In this case the city water pressure.
The typical water pump has a system of valves which open and close as the diaphragm cycles back and forth to move the water.
If there is debris in the check valve it will leak.
IMHO if you have low city water pressure it is possible there is not enough pressure to seal the check valve tight. Thus you get back flow into the tank.
We never leave the pump on even when in the coach. We turn it on when we need water and turn it off when we are in no need for water.
We are getting better a shutting off the city water when we leave the coach.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 10:09 AM   #11
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
Short Answer: Ok to use Pump AND City water for higher pressure shower.

Good practice: Always turn OFF water pump when leaving the trailer to do activities. Always turn OFF and relieve pressure from City water when leaving the trailer to do activities.
*Virtual campfire at https://www.facebook.com/groups/Airs...dictsforAdults
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 05:18 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
FREDERICK , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by cazual6 View Post
Good practice: Always turn OFF water pump when leaving the trailer to do activities. Always turn OFF and relieve pressure from City water when leaving the trailer to do activities.
That is what I always do, turn either OFF when leaving the trailer. I have never experienced low water pressure at a campground, just lucky I guess.
Doc Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 05:23 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1999 28' Excella
Lake Mary , Florida
Pressure water

I NEVER use city pressure water. I simply fill my tank, then let my pump supply the pressure. Here are the reasons:

1. Have never replaced a 12V pump because of overuse. I have helped friends replace their 12V pump because of rust and corrosion by lack of use.
2. When I hear the pump run, and both of us are in bed, I know something is wrong. If you are on city water and get a leak, you never hear it. I never awake to find the floor flooded from a leak caused by pressure surge.
3. When I leave the RV or while towing, I always turn off the pump.
4. Living off the pump helps train your crew on how to conserve water, so when you dry camp you dont run out of water on day Two!
suncoasteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 05:55 PM   #14
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by suncoasteng View Post
I NEVER use city pressure water. I simply fill my tank, then let my pump supply the pressure. Here are the reasons:

1. Have never replaced a 12V pump because of overuse. I have helped friends replace their 12V pump because of rust and corrosion by lack of use.
2. When I hear the pump run, and both of us are in bed, I know something is wrong. If you are on city water and get a leak, you never hear it. I never awake to find the floor flooded from a leak caused by pressure surge.
3. When I leave the RV or while towing, I always turn off the pump.
4. Living off the pump helps train your crew on how to conserve water, so when you dry camp you dont run out of water on day Two!
Kool...guess we not so weird afterall. 🥴
Our failure occurred at 5am on our 5th outing. 👎
Fitting overtightened/crossthreaded, bathroom floor soaked, lesson learned, pump is only on when necessary.
Water heater on for 2hr every AM, again if needed after dinner. BSTS

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 01-04-2019, 07:34 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB Classic
Scottsdale , Arizona
The on board water pump will not supply water if the city pressure is above I think 40 psi. So having the on board water pump on will not give more water pressure than I think around 55 psi. Always turn water off in house and trailer when not home. Water lines fail
Old 01-09-2019, 09:45 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Mesa , Arizona
What he said.
Moodywelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 11:07 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I never leave the pump turned on unless I'm using it.
I guess I got in the habit from boating days.

As an option, if you're unhappy with the shower, try the Oxygenics shower head. It gets great reviews while being stingy on water.
https://www.amazon.com/ETL-26181-Pla...GZ33JRCH22P6PD
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 08:28 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Page , Arizona
I have had both an RV and a houseboat for over 35 years. Our policy has always been to use the pump only on both, and keep the water tank full. A running pump gets your attention and faucets not completely turned off or a leak can be found at once. No problem with water pressure this way either.
SlvrBllt is offline   Reply With Quote