Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2019, 06:07 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Columbus , Ohio
Plumbing under subfloor at fresh tank connection

Hello all,

I am looking to replace the old copper plumbing in my 1972 Overlander with PEX. I’ve finished everything except under the kitchen sink. I’m wondering if anyone can explain what is going on with all the pipes underneath the subfloor in this picture, and why I can’t just put the hot water line straight to the faucet and put the cold water line into a T fitting with one line to the pump and one line to the faucet. Any info helps. Thanks! Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2035.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	306.6 KB
ID:	353000
action95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 10:04 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
If you have a service manual for your trailer, the plumbing will be diagrammed in detail, and will give you a better understanding of how it has been set up.

In general, the only fresh water plumbing that is under the subfloor is where the lines attach to the FW tank. At a glance, what you are mostly seeing in your picture is the low point drains, which will facilitate getting the water out of the lines prior to storage/winterizing.

In the simplest configuration, you should have a line coming out of your FW tank, going to your water pump, from there, it should T off to the hot water heater. The cold water line would then also have a T connection to the shore water supply, but can then go straight to the faucets. Hot water coming from the water heater could go straight to the faucets.

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 11:30 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Columbus , Ohio
Thank you for your response! That answered my question about being a low water point for winterizing, so the whole point is just to give the water a place to drain back into the fresh water tank?

To clarify about your description, the line Ting off to the hot water heater would also be the same line that is supplying your cold water to the faucets correct? Otherwise it sounds like there would be 3 lines going into the kitchen area.
Old 09-26-2019, 01:14 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Actually, those low point drains let the water pour out of the lines and onto the ground, water doesn't go back into the tank.

"To clarify about your description, the line Ting off to the hot water heater would also be the same line that is supplying your cold water to the faucets correct? Otherwise it sounds like there would be 3 lines going into the kitchenarea."

Yes, think of your cold water line as being something of a spine with ribs sticking out of it. At either end of the spine there is an input, either the water pump pumping water out of the FW tank, or water coming in from the shore water supply. The ribs coming off of the cold water line are the outputs. One output will be to the water heater, and the others will be to the faucets, shower, toilet, etc..

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 03:06 PM   #5
Mucky

1973 25' Tradewind
MALVERN , PA
I just replaced the plumbing in my 73 with PEX and it looked just like that (except mine was split in several locations!!!)

I skipped replacing the floor drain at that location but kept/replaced the one behind the bathroom sink. Not sure if that is going to work to winterize...I may need to drain while parked on the hill that is my driveway.

I have a question for the group - my FW tank has (2) air vent tubes coming out of it. They go to a T and then exit just above the water inlet. One of the vent outlets broke off and I am unable to get the rubber hose back on. I discovered this after 'topping off my tank' before a recent trip and found it flowing nicely out of the air vent. Can I simply seal this up as I have a second one a few inches away? Why are there two? Am I missing something?

Thanks!

Brian
muck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 06:41 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Columbus , Ohio
Thank you for clarifying! And I have the same question about why there are two air vents where it Ts off.
Old 09-29-2019, 08:19 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Marysville , Ohio
Just happens that I have that exact tank out of my '71 right now. The tank has two vents because of the way the tank is formed to fit under a frame member. If you didn't utilize both vents, you would just be giving up some water capacity on the side you are not venting (since the air would not be able to escape). The water would only be able to fill up to the bottom of the depression for the frame.Click image for larger version

Name:	20190927_115532.jpeg
Views:	106
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	353223
Boom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 06:49 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Columbus , Ohio
Thank you for clarifying!
Old 10-04-2019, 09:44 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
redondo beach , California
How much water can that tank hold?
Randy and Beth 15 F250, 16 30' International, ProPride, Dexter 3" lift, Michelin 16, Dill TPMS, Centramatics, Battleborn x4, Victron BMV and 1.2KW inverter, Orion DC/DC, BlueSolar MPPT, 300W solar, Alpine iLX, Polk MM1, Samsung smart 42"
mythbuster88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 03:11 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
High River , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by mythbuster88 View Post
How much water can that tank hold?

Should be 45 US gallons.
AlbertF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 10:45 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
troup , Texas
hello: same setup as in my unit72 sahara 23' but the water inlet line(from filler hose) has broken off at the tank.while looking into the inlet i saw about 1" left inside the 1"-+ pipe. no cracks in the tank or the protuding pipe. any ideas how I can pull out the broken soft plastic . Ive removed the drain lines etal and not sure if its glued into the pipe or is just barbed into the inlet? will the tank take pvc cement or a special solvent thinner to loosen up the broken piece . any help would be appreciated. I could seal up this inlet and use the other inlet as the picture above shows.
72sahara is offline   Reply With Quote