Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2013, 09:22 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Plumbing knowledge required. 2011 28' Intl.

I found a bit of water on the floor under the storage closet between the shower and fridge. I took the access panel off under the closet and the one under fridge but could see no obvious leak, even with the pump running.

There is, though, a short section of clear plastic pipe, maybe 1/4" diameter and 18' long, that branches off one of the pump lines, not sure if it's the inlet or the outlet. The plastic pipe is only connected at one end and is isolated with a valve, or petcock (?). The other end is left free, not connected to anything, and tonight this pipe had water droplets in it. What function does this pipe have (bearing in mind that I have the dealer winterize it so I don't necessarily know how that's done)? I did quickly secure the valve, as I think it may have been slightly open, making sure it was fully closed and will see if there's any water there tomorrow.

I'm ever so slightly paranoid as the temperature has been well below freezing every night since we had the thing de-winterized (bloody typical, last year it was as warm as you like at this time of year) and I've had the furnace going for three weeks (at great cost I have to say) in an attempt to prevent any icing.

Some soothing words would be nice!

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:42 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Two possibilities come to mind. One is that the tube is used as a way to suck anti freeze from the jug into the pump in order to winterize the unit. In that case it would be on the suction (input) side of the pump.

The other possibility I thought of is it could be some kind of a drain added after the unit was built. The factory drains as far as I know all run through the floor, so if you just have a pipe with one end loose, it probably is an add on. The fact that it is clear plastic also sound like an after built item as factory stuff is usually the braided reinforced pipe.

If that little valve was slightly turned it could be leaking I would think, and may be the source of your problem.

That is my best shot and speculation in any event.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:28 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
Two possibilities come to mind. One is that the tube is used as a way to suck anti freeze from the jug into the pump in order to winterize the unit. In that case it would be on the suction (input) side of the pump.

The other possibility I thought of is it could be some kind of a drain added after the unit was built. The factory drains as far as I know all run through the floor, so if you just have a pipe with one end loose, it probably is an add on. The fact that it is clear plastic also sound like an after built item as factory stuff is usually the braided reinforced pipe.

If that little valve was slightly turned it could be leaking I would think, and may be the source of your problem.

That is my best shot and speculation in any event.
Thanks Idroba, your first option sounds good to me as there was definitely signs of anti-freeze in the tube.

It was late when I wrote that last night and didn't mention that I'd not used the shower, nor was the city water attached. The stray water was clean and hadn't spread far. It's early now but I'll go in and check later this morning; I don't expect to find any water but will keep my fingers crossed anyway!

Old 03-29-2013, 06:17 PM   #4
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
I have the same trailer (though mine's a 2012). Definitely, you were looking at the valve that was installed for winterization. (You put that clear plastic tube that you found that wasn't connected to anything into a jug of RV antifreeze, turn the little valve toward the center position, turn on your water pump, open a faucet and it will suck the antifreeze fluid into the water lines....you do this for each faucet, one at a time.) When you "dewinterize" you put the valve into the "open" (straight0 position), fill your water tank, turn on the water pump and open each faucet one at a time until you purge the RV antifreeze. If you have found more than a few drops of water, something isn't tightened properly. This particular trailer gives you terrific access to the water pump, and if you have to do it, you can unscrew the panel in your wardrobe closet to get access to the shower and drain pain inner workings. I haven't done this, but that's how it works. I just flushed out my waterlines today as I'm heading out for my first trip next week. AND we have freeze possibilities early next week. FTLOG! It's APRIL in NC, shouldn't be doing this!
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:14 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUKToad View Post

I'm ever so slightly paranoid as the temperature has been well below freezing every night since we had the thing de-winterized (bloody typical, last year it was as warm as you like at this time of year) and I've had the furnace going for three weeks (at great cost I have to say) in an attempt to prevent any icing.

Some soothing words would be nice!
You are indeed a hardy renovator MrUKToad. That's as soothing as I get. We de-winterized the Prairie Schooner today, hoping to go to a local Conservation Area but found that the place was still loaded with ice and snow so we put her back at the storage facility. I am looking forward to reading your up coming blog which I am hoping will include lots of hints on winter survival techniques in an Airstream. I have two. Turn on the furnace set to run at 68, and put the auxiliary heater on high. And don't tell the family financier. Jim
Old 03-29-2013, 08:34 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Thanks people, all your replies have made me smile. The good news is that there have been no more water leaks. I suspect that valve wasn't shut properly on the anti-freeze line (thanks to those that have enlightened me - ignorance is bliss when you have the dealer winterize and de-winterize).

The weather is getting warmer now, although it's set to go below freezing tonight. I've supplemented the propane powered furnace with an electric space heater that I'd forgotten about and that was lurking in the basement. The propane usage has eased but I think the electricity bill will rise an bit

The home renovations move on apace and I've spent a fair few hours in the Airstream, both hiding the dog and I from the noise in the house, and preparing family meals. This coming week we face the prospect of sleeping and showering in there, for a night or two at least. Well, if you can't go away camping, you can at least stay home camping.