Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-17-2017, 07:27 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Mountain Home , Arkansas
Plumbing issues on 76 Sovereign

I've been working on getting my AS able to travel safely before I dive into other systems, but getting close, so decided to connect a hose to it the check out the water. I can't find the city water connection? Anyone know where this is? I've been looking at diagrams and looking around the trailer as well. I found a hose in the back storage going to what looks like a pump with a pressure regulator inline. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0964.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	417.9 KB
ID:	289723
But it just goes out the other hose connected to it. I could last a while and troubleshoot a lot with it connected to my garden hose, but no connection in site. If someone can show me a pic that would be great. I'm not sure what's going on.
Scotty033x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 09:47 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
Check on the outside edge of the street side frame that extends out from the back of the trailer. If you see a garden hose connection, that's it. About 3 feet to the left and 1 foot down from your picture.
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 10:28 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 31' Excella 500
West Sacramento , California
Agree with HiJoeSilver. Should be a copper pipe on the roadside rear. That water pump shouldn't be in the back hatch so the PO may have relocated all the plumbing
4RXLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 05:07 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Mountain Home , Arkansas
Thanks for the help. In the picture on the right isn't that pex pipe and fittings? Or is that original? I've had the AS a month, so this is PO stuff I have to figure out. The pump is not fixed and is fastened to a small piece of plywood. With the 2 open ended hoses and alligator clips, its like the PO set it outside and ran it off a battery.
Old 07-19-2017, 06:38 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Pex was not used in 1976 only copper. Imo prev. owner did lots of mods to plumbing as seen in pic. plus what is round ? on left side below door is it sewer black and gray drain as orig. came out left side of frame just behind fresh water hookup. PO may have jury rigged to use pump show to drain tank instead of pump that is inside under counter by entrance door. 76 AS did not have tank drains as only way to drain was by water pump that was brilliant engineering by AS designers ????? Also as other stated water hook up out side left side of frame just ahead of bumper
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 06:58 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1973 21' Globetrotter
1975 26' Argosy 26
Vista , California
That is definitely pex pipe and fittings, PO most have done some "improvements " hard to say where there might be a city water hook up. I guess I would put water to that hose and see what happens?
bibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 07:08 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1991 25' Excella
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Ynez , California
I would start by removing all the hillbilly pump stuff and try to get back to a more original layout, I understand you may not know what that looks like so some research is in order. A city water hook up should be on the curbside exterior and a fresh water tank fill near the tank, mine is on the street side.
More pictures and info might help here.

Alan
AlinCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 08:02 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
Definitely no pex in 76.
That white pipe looks like new PEX install.
If you have any grey plastic pipes it should get replaced, its polybutylene and becomes brittle with age. My 79 had it.
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 09:53 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
The pump looks like it is set up for transferring water from a portable tank. Used when you are in a place with no city water. You go to the closest water source, fill up the tank or water container. Return to the camp sight. Connect the suction hose of the pump into your portable tank. Stick the other hose in the fresh water fill on the coach. Start the pump by connecting it to a 12 volt power source. ie battery.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 07:03 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlinCal View Post
I would start by removing all the hillbilly pump stuff and try to get back to a more original layout, I understand you may not know what that looks like so some research is in order. A city water hook up should be on the curbside exterior and a fresh water tank fill near the tank, mine is on the street side.
More pictures and info might help here.
Owner posted as 1976 AS. you have details backwards as city water hookup is on street side just ahead of sewer connection on side of frame just ahead of bumper, this is drivers side, and fresh water fill door is on cub side between entry door and wheels just ahead of out side electric usage cover, this is passenger side. I pur 1976 new in 77 and still have so I no about config. Pex was not used in 1976 for any thing and black abs used for waste lines. as you stated looks like hillbilly set up, every thing in pic. looks like a mess done by some one that shouldn't modify original, even check valve wrong place who no's what else, unless some one that has 76 31 ft. AS could look at it. There are also 2 water drain valves inside of rear door between black tank dump valve and frame but they do not dump water heater or fresh water tank as fresh tank does not have way to dump, only way is by water pump as I stated before. Also where pex is shown orig. water lines were not at places shown
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 06:36 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Mountain Home , Arkansas
Well, I found the connection. It was over to the side in the back storage compartment just above where it should be. In doing so, I've found that the camper has been replumbed at least partially with pex already. Just not sure how it was done. Bath shower and sink work, but kitchen sink doesn't

Tags
sovereign