Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2008, 05:54 PM   #1

1970 27' Overlander
Sargent , Texas
Smile Plumbing Diagrams for 27' 1970 Overlander

We were in E. Texas and had to use our fresh water holding tank. When we went to fill the tank there was a very loud noise and then water draining from all areas under the trailer. We have a 1972 service manual, but the diagrams do not match.
Does anyone know of a plumbing diagram for the 27', 1970 Overlander? Any suggestions on the repair process will be welcomed as we are new at this.
Patsyj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 12:10 PM   #2

1971 27' Overlander
Washington , Iowa
71 Overlander

I am new to this as well so I don' t have any advice, just getting ready to go through my plumbing as well. I do have the service manual for my 71 Overlander I could scan some pages and e-mail if you are still looking for them as they could be different then what you have. Let me know.
cadamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 12:28 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

I do not have a service manual for mine either. However since I have recently completely gutted mine I have a good idea of the set up. First thing is that all the water plumbing is above the floor except for the fresh water tank. If it is leaking above the floor you should be able to locate that by inspecting in the cabinets and under the beds and from the back compartment door. Could be that the neck on your inlet broke as that is very common. If the majority of the water was coming from the fresh water holding tank area (4'x5' square area hanging down about an inch below the belly pan between the door and sink area) then I would say you have a leak in the tank or the pipes going to or from there. Was your drain valve closed?

The freshwater tank is pretty easy to remove. First you disconnect the pipes and sensor wires going to it. Then you remove the 1x1 angle from the front end of that square area that I mentioned. Then you can slide the aluuminum sheet and 1" plywood out to let the tank fall (but catch it!). There is a propane line attached to the bottom of this area that you will have to deal with. If you need anything else let me know. I will be out of town until Monday p.m.
vhord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 01:38 PM   #4
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Hey Guys, do a search here for a company called Secretarial Services in Ohio. They have manuals going back to the late '60's (not sure of that date). I purchased one for my '73 from them. Also, Aristream is carrying them again, or so I've heard. Check on Airstream.com.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 02:31 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
San Antonio , Texas
Unfortunately, the service manual for your model isn't available. The following link is from the Vintage Airstream Club website.

Frequently Asked Questions

The first owners manuals were published in 1964. Prior to that, the owner received a brown envelope containing parts lists and other helpful information on the accessories in his trailer. The VAC has started making these available in the Members Archive section. A service manual with instructions for performing service operations did not exist until 1972.
You can get photocopies of owners manual (1964+) and service manuals (1972-1986) from:

Helen Davis Secretarial Services
PO Box 484 Sidney, OH 45365
(937)492-8885

Prices are about $33 and $70 respectively. After 1986 the Owners Manuals included available service information.

Also here's the link to the Airstream book store who sells owner's and service manuals. Unfortunately no service manuals there either prior to 1972.

https://store.airstream.com/index.php?cPath=32

“Complications arose, ensued, were overcome...savvy?”
- Captain Jack Sparrow
monocoque is offline   Reply With Quote