Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2024, 09:42 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Newnan , Georgia
Pex routing

Hello all,
I have a 2012 25' Eddie Bauer. Only my second post. I usually find answers on this forum without needing to post questions but no luck on this issue. I'm working to quite my water pump. I spend 40 years in Aviation where there are very specific rules as to wire and plumbing routing requirements. The rats nest under my refrigerator drives me crazy so I'm working to clean it up while I'm under there. My primary question is the pressure line coming out of the pump. On mine it is over 3 feet long, with a big loop, making a mess that l seriously doubt is necessary. Does anyone know if there's a practical reason for all this excess pex line? My guess would be Airstream had a surplus of this particular line and just made it work to save money. I would love to cut to proper length. Same for the pump supply line, it doesn't have nearly as much excess but at least a few inches longer than needed. Is there any known reason these lines can't be cut to fit properly?
Pretty much the same for the tank sensor wires. They appear to be regular phone line but 3 or more feet more than needed.
Thanks for any info you experts might provide.
Fly727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2024, 11:17 AM   #2
1 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Newnan , Georgia
Edit, 3 foot pressure line is flex, not pex.
Old 05-25-2024, 12:25 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1970 23' Safari
Marion , New York
The reason for the loop of flex pipe coming off the pump is to minimize vibration and noise in the ridged pex lines. It does seem a three foot loop is a bit excessive and could probably be shortened.

I suspect the sensor wires are a "one size fits all" harness that the factory doesn't take time to trim down.
DremStremer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2024, 06:43 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Newnan , Georgia
Thanks for the reply DremStremer. If the loop is there to help quite the vibrations I understand. At least there's a reason behind the excess. If I can find a shorter replacement line I'll see if the loop truly does make a difference.
Old 05-25-2024, 08:51 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by DremStremer View Post
The reason for the loop of flex pipe coming off the pump is to minimize vibration and noise in the ridged pex lines. It does seem a three foot loop is a bit excessive and could probably be shortened.

I suspect the sensor wires are a "one size fits all" harness that the factory doesn't take time to trim down.
Agree with the flex line, just never heard of Airstream following the pump manufacturers requirement of not attaching hard line like PEX directly to the pump.

For the sensor wires I suspect that could actually be to attach the wires to the tanks, then install the tanks.
Wazbro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2024, 10:59 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Newnan , Georgia
"Agree with the flex line, just never heard of Airstream following the pump manufacturers requirement of not attaching hard line like PEX directly to the pump."

Interesting point. I just assumed the plumbing was as installed but very well could have been a previous owner installed mod.
Just another reason for me to find a correct length line and see if there's any adverse effects.
Old 05-26-2024, 07:44 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
use barbed connector with flex pipes
us std pex connector with pex
the metal brass connectors are far better than the cheap plastic ones

i have a '23 fc 25fb. and found out there is a 1/2 used raceway under the floor . it goes from under the uwave to under the fridge.
i used the raceway to run a return water system that solves the shower hw issue
if you are handy and know how to use pex, it is not hard the make
WBCCI# 21212
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2024, 03:19 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by waninae39 View Post
use barbed connector with flex pipes
us std pex connector with pex
the metal brass connectors are far better than the cheap plastic ones

i have a '23 fc 25fb. and found out there is a 1/2 used raceway under the floor . it goes from under the uwave to under the fridge.
i used the raceway to run a return water system that solves the shower hw issue
if you are handy and know how to use pex, it is not hard the make
True but his 2012 came with a tanked water heater so shouldn't have that problem.
Wazbro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2024, 07:04 PM   #9
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
The loop might have been a previous owners method of dealing with pump vibration being transmitted to the trailer, which can be a serious problem in some trailers depending the Pex routing.

You can shorten it, but if there isn't enough flex left in the flex line you'll be back at the same point again with vibration/noise throughout the trailer when the pump runs. Most noticeable when someone flushes at night while others are sleeping.

A possible solution is to substitute a shorter piece of flex tubing, but use silicone water line instead of vinyl. Be sure to get one that is pressure rated and reinforced. The silicone tubing is much more flexible and supple than the vinyl and a shorter piece might still provide enough vibration resistance.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8 'Bert'
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser 'The Bus' (Sold)
richard5933 is online now   Reply With Quote