Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2016, 05:35 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 26
chambersburg , Pennsylvania
Noisy water pump I've decided even though it isn't broken I'm gonna fix it

Ordered a shurflo revolution pump they say it's quieter , so that should make the wife happier I'll keep the original as a back up

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Jimin pa
jimin pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 07:39 PM   #2
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
We replaced our old ShurFlo with a new model and the new one is definitely more quiet. I don't think our new one is Revolution but I've heard (or not heard) it's one of the best?
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 07:56 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
I use my old one to pump water into the fresh water tank.
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 09:15 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1998 30' Excella 1000
Livingston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimin pa View Post
Ordered a shurflo revolution pump they say it's quieter , so that should make the wife happier I'll keep the original as a back up

Jimin pa
If you don't already have it, a loop of braided flex hose on both sides, is good to have.
Siegmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 11:14 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
In these cases of a loud pump sound is it normally the pump or the hose vibrating against something? Mine is also loud, but I've often though I could make it a lot better by moving a couple of the hoses. The issue seems to be that the hose moves back into its old place once you let go of it and the sound starts all over again.
Thanks in advance for any input

Cheers
Doug

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 03-26-2016, 05:54 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Put some foam pipe insulation on those pipes and hoses where they contact something.
Old 03-26-2016, 09:10 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Great idea. I will try that - Thanks
Old 03-26-2016, 09:36 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Recently my pump has gotten noticably louder. Suppose I will get around to changing it one of these days but right now it is working fine so no reason to junk it just yet.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 09:52 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
I also found that the board the pump was mounted to was loose and vibrating when the pump ran. I screwed the board in a couple of extra places and that made a huge difference.
Old 03-26-2016, 10:04 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 26
chambersburg , Pennsylvania
I like the idea of using the old one to pump into fresh water tank , I'm not replacing a shurflo with a newer model I'm replacing the original 1975 pump ( loud enough I don't flush at night)

Jimin pa
jimin pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 11:11 AM   #11

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Falls Church , Virginia
waterpump

If i had only one complaint about these trailers, it would be the noise the water pump makes..., especially at night. I mounted my pump on a 1/4 inch piece of plywood, and glued a 1" thick piece of neoprene below that, and then glued it to the floor, and the pump did get quieter, but the shock distributed to the plumbing is still causing noise. I like the suggestion of braided segments on both sides, and pipe insulation around the individual lines.. That might work. There has GOT to be a solution.
bigreddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 11:40 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Scottsdale , Arizona
I unbolted the from the floor cut and shaped a rubber foam pad about 1/2 " for the base between the floor and motor and then re-bolted it back to the floor using a shot of silicon in the screw holes with rubber grommets to deaden any vibration noise . Then made & placed a Styrofoam shroud over it to reduce the motor noise. It is virtually silent now just under the birthing of my 64 Globetrotter. Try it! Cost $13. in materials or if you have similar lying around use it.
BFSSBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 12:02 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigreddog View Post
If i had only one complaint about these trailers, it would be the noise the water pump makes..., especially at night. I mounted my pump on a 1/4 inch piece of plywood, and glued a 1" thick piece of neoprene below that, and then glued it to the floor, and the pump did get quieter, but the shock distributed to the plumbing is still causing noise. I like the suggestion of braided segments on both sides, and pipe insulation around the individual lines.. That might work. There has GOT to be a solution.
Yours should already have flexible hoses on both sides. Most likely one or more hoses are in contact with something else causing the noise. Try to isolate the hoses and add the insulation.
Old 03-26-2016, 12:19 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
I purchased the shur-flo silencer kit and it made a big difference. I would agree that it is vibration making the sound. The kit adds curved hoses that absorb quite a bit of the vibration. You can still hear the pump but it does not sound like the side of the trailer is rattling. Previously the pump was directly connected in-line to the plumbing lines and made them vibrate. (the pic is not of my AS but from Internet).
Attached Images

Old 03-26-2016, 02:33 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
I simply removed the hold down crews on our '89. But it had lots of clearance for hoses etc. New one came with gobs of foam packing to keep the hoses away from the adjacent plywood.
JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 09:21 AM   #16
Okstreamer

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Yukon , Oklahoma
Pump silencer

Being retired from the plumbing trade for 45 years, I found that the pump on my 2007 airstream Safari was very noisy. I relocated the pump so that it was easier to work on and mounted it on 1/2 inch foam and firmly attached it to the floor. Then I installed stainless steel braided hoses on the inlet and outlet sides of the pump. I also installed a water hammer arrester on the outlet side of the pump. You can purchase these from any plumbing supply house. Use 1/2 inch size. Anywhere the pex piping touched adjacent pipes or cabinet interiors I installed foam pipe insulation around the pipes. Now I am not sure that my pump is even running when I turn it on. This is what worked for me. PS I hate noisy plumbing, can you tell?
okstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 09:28 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by okstreamer View Post
Being retired from the plumbing trade for 45 years, I found that the pump on my 2007 airstream Safari was very noisy. I relocated the pump so that it was easier to work on and mounted it on 1/2 inch foam and firmly attached it to the floor. Then I installed stainless steel braided hoses on the inlet and outlet sides of the pump. I also installed a water hammer arrester on the outlet side of the pump. You can purchase these from any plumbing supply house. Use 1/2 inch size. Anywhere the pex piping touched adjacent pipes or cabinet interiors I installed foam pipe insulation around the pipes. Now I am not sure that my pump is even running when I turn it on. This is what worked for me. PS I hate noisy plumbing, can you tell?
Thanks for this.
When you say "stainless steel braided hoses" are you talking about the stuff one would normally see under a sink. That connects the tap set to the water line? Also what is a hammer arrestor?
Sorry for the questions as it will let you know how much I know about plumbing.....lol
Thanks

Doug

Edit - just did a Google search on Hammer Arrestor and it looks like something I've never seen before, but should not be hard to install as long as I can find one. Thanks
Old 03-27-2016, 10:22 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by okstreamer View Post
I'd like to relocate mine. The literature says the fittings are 1/2"-14 NPSM. I've read these are different from NPT. Will I be able to find longer hoses?
Old 03-27-2016, 04:19 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1998 30' Excella 1000
Livingston , Texas
I think two loops of the braided vinyl hoses do a better job of isolating the vibration. But, they do require a barb fitting, that some might object to. However, mine have not leaked in 16 years.
Siegmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 06:40 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Noisy water pump I've decided even though it isn't broken I'm gonna fix it

Spent $100 on a Shur Flo Revolution took 10 mins to install.No more cheap noisy knocking pump.Been 3 years and still enjoy the quiet and more water pressure.One of the better upgrades that you can do.

Now I use cheap noisy pump when boon docking to refill fresh water tank,attached a hose to inlet and outlet then installed some alligator clips on wiring.I carry a jump box that powers it when needed.

Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote