Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-21-2013, 03:16 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Kentucky
I don't think I have a water regulator . I had burst pipes replaced and I don't see a regulator.
Lexgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:50 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
The water pressure regulator/check valve that several of us are referring to will look something like this - presuming yours is still in place it is likely located not far from the city inlet against a wall. Ours is located (and visible) in the storage compartment under the bed - but accessing it was a bit of a chore - it meant removing the plywood under our bed mattress.

Good luck - hope you find you troubles.

Jay
Attached Images

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:08 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Kentucky
Thanks for the picture Jay. I will continue to hunt!
Old 04-22-2013, 08:37 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
If it is still with your trailer something else that might help you find where it is the Owners Manual - inside the manual is likely a schematic of the water system - it should let you know if one exists with the original trailer and also its general location.

The schematic will look something like this one from our manual - in ours you can see that the regulator/check valve is on the other side of the trailer from city water supply and just before the point where the line branches to the hot water heater.

Jay
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	02 Bambi Fresh Water System.JPG
Views:	198
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	183968  

(Oscar Wilde)
Old 04-22-2013, 08:58 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Kentucky
RJ,

Well, today, after I wean my lambs, I guess I wil be under the bed! LOl
Old 04-28-2013, 12:16 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Kentucky
R. Jay,

I have looked under the bed. Water does not enter there. It enters under the "night table". There is no water pressure regulator there. Where would I order one?

On the other side of the water pump(under the closet floor, I have this. I don't know what it is.

Name:	image-3006478618.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	440.4 KB
ID:	184410

Name:	image-3216938275.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	551.3 KB
ID:	184411

To the left of this pump, are the pipes that lead to where the city water enters the AS.

Lexgirl Diane
Old 04-28-2013, 12:23 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Kentucky
Also, this is my water system diagram. Where it says the regulator is-2D-nothing. Not even close.
Diane the Lexgirl
That needs a shower.
Old 04-28-2013, 12:24 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexgirl View Post
also, this is my water system diagram. Where it says the regulator is-2d-nothing. Not even close.
Diane the lexgirl
that needs a shower.

Name:	image-1272922710.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	480.1 KB
ID:	184412
Old 04-28-2013, 01:19 PM   #29
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
2D or not 2D: was that the answer?

Sorry, couldn't resist, plus didn't understand your '2D' comment. Can you 'splain it a bit more?
Old 04-28-2013, 01:33 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Kentucky
2d was the item on the diagram where the water regulator was supposed to be. Someone, somewhere, sometime took it off. This was before I bought it or when I had the pipes replaced in 2009, 4 years ago.
Lexgirl
Old 04-28-2013, 01:39 PM   #31
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Ah! Well, thanks for explaining. So now, you can put one back on, right? Maybe it was taken off because the old one was defective?

It's a Good Thing to have: you could do damage to plumbing if you travelled to an area with really high pressure.

ps: the cylindrical thing in the top picture in post 26 looks like a simple filter, from what I can see of it.

Mebbe it's plugged up with stuff..?
Old 04-28-2013, 01:49 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Kentucky
Do you know where to buy one?
Old 04-28-2013, 02:09 PM   #33
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
When I first got my trailer the water would just run out on the ground at the regulator. The regulator valve was stuck open. I closed it and then there was no water at all. The inlet backflow preventer was acting as a dam for all sorts of debris. I removed the backflow preventer and cleaned the line back to the inlet hose connection and that solved the water supply issue.

My trailer has two separate but connected water systems. One city supply and one 12 volt pump storage tank supply. Both rely on backflow preventers to work. I have separated those two systems with two valves. I posted pictures of how I did that on my blog. The link to the blog is on the left side of this page.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:04 PM   #34
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexgirl View Post
Do you know where to buy one?
Any Airstream dealer will have one.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:03 AM   #35
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
First Question.

Are you trying to use the pump?
Or City water?
The device in the photo is an inline strainer. You should see water in it if your FW tank is full. The clear plastic part can be unscrewed to clean it.
The strainer is only in play when you are on House Water (using the FW tank and pump).
So lets start with which system you are trying to use. City or Pump.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:01 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Ouch! - this is getting to be cruel and unusual punishment for you .....

Going back over some of the earlier suggestion can you confirm that:
- all the faucet screens were removed, cleaned and there was no change?
- the onboard water system (i.e. fresh water into the on-board tank and on-board pump turned on) was used and no change?
- there is no leaking under the trailer

A couple of additional questions:
- when did this problem begin? - was it sudden? gradual over time? after doing work on the water system?
- were the fixtures replaced at the same time that the waterlines were replaced?
- although I'm a little confused by the schematic - if I'm reading it right - it does seem to show that there should be a check valve near but separate from the missing regulator - would this be the picture you showed early on?

Thanks,

Jay

(Oscar Wilde)
Old 06-29-2013, 12:54 PM   #37
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Kentucky
Dear Jay, I am so sorry I have not responded earlier, but there has been a lot of farm work and I am getting ready for my 2nd knee replacement. Plus after working with it for so long, I had to take a break. This has been going on ever since I moved the Airstream to my farm last August. It was parked at my daughter's in Lexington where the last thing I did any thing to the water system was put in antifreeze liquid for the winter which went fine. When it was parked and leveled at the farm, the water came out normal, then it went down to a drizzle in both bathroom and kitchen. Like I said, I found no water pressure gauge or a water back flow stopper. So I purchased these, along with more connections and pipe to make sure I would be able to put everything together. After getting all the leaks at connections stopped, we could see the water flow in through the new pieces, , but now there was NO WATER coming out of ANY faucets!! Went underneath the AS and there was no water coming out from any pipes at all!! Where is my water going??!! I. Have. No. Idea!! It has absolutely made me sick. So I walked away from that system and put in a new converter. Which was a successful project.!i have a week and a half before my surgery, and I am ready to tackle the water system again. I just don't know where to start. Do I go under the AS and take the pipes apart one by one, or start at the kitchen sink and take those pipes apart and snake it to see if it is stopped up somewhere? Any help would be appreciated. New ideas? My brain is stumped! I am a retired school teacher so plumbing is not my forte'.

Thanks for all your help and support. I don't feel alone with help from this site,
Diane
Old 06-29-2013, 01:02 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
First Question.

Are you trying to use the pump?
Or City water?
The device in the photo is an inline strainer. You should see water in it if your FW tank is full. The clear plastic part can be unscrewed to clean it.
The strainer is only in play when you are on House Water (using the FW tank and pump).
So lets start with which system you are trying to use. City or Pump.
I am using city water, not the FW tank. There is a valve past the pump that when you open it the water flows out onto the ground. So I know water is getting to at least this place in the line. Where it goes after this is anyone's guess, but it is not coming out of the faucets. Any ideas?

Lexgirl
Diane
Old 06-29-2013, 01:04 PM   #39
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Kentucky
I have that filter out and cleaned it. No change.

Lexgirl
Diane
Old 06-29-2013, 01:09 PM   #40
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
I wonder if there could be something that somehow got into the water lines and is blocking them?

If you have one of those little adapters with a Schrader valve on one end and a garden hose fitting on the other (they sell for about two bucks), why not try blowing the lines out and see if any of the taps let air out?

If you have a compressor, that is. But what farm doesn't?

Sorry to hear about your knee replacements.

I know I need them but I fear the trials and tribulations of going through the surgery.