Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-07-2008, 03:40 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Gualala , California
No water in hot water line

Hi, looking for some help here:

I have a 72 Tradewinds with an Atwood water heater. I get cold water in the wetbath wand, the toilet spray and bathroom sink, from the cold side, but no water at all out of the hot water line.
I haven' run the hot water heater yet because I wasn't getting any water at all out of the kitchen. I took that apart yesterday and found about an inch of compressed gunk in the galley faucet behind the screen. I am not in a place where I can hook up to water right now so can't test the kitchen, but it sure seems that I'm going to get water there, now that the obstruction is cleared.
But, should the hot water line be running cold water if the water heater is not on? Would the water still go through, or would there be no water at all in that line until I light the water heater?

Thanks for answers

AIR #25767
timkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 04:03 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
If the water heater is not on you should still be getting water thru the hot side.Check to see if you have a shut off valve at the WH.If the heater has been drained you should at least be getting air. Dave
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 04:04 PM   #3
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
This is the time for caution. Do not light the water heater until you can get water flow to the hot water taps.

It's possible that the water heater was drained and there is a valve that needs tobe opened to restore water flow. If you light the water heater while it is empty you could damage it.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 04:18 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Gualala , California
Thumbs up

Thanks, Dave & Markdoane,
I will check for valves on the water heater and see if I can get water going in the galley and the bathroom. I figured that I shouldn't be lighting that heater without a sure flow of water in the hot water line, and I certainly won't do it until I get a flow going; especially now that I know I should be getting water from the hot side regardless.
Thanks Again, for the help!

AIR #25767
Old 12-07-2008, 04:31 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Could be that the entire WH is "gunked up"

Quote:
Originally Posted by timkim View Post
Hi, looking for some help here:
...the kitchen. I took that apart yesterday and found about an inch of compressed gunk in the galley faucet behind the screen. ...
I think I would go with the "gunk" clue - On the '78 I found the WH to be chock-a-block full of precipitate...I ALMOST went the rebuild route on the WH - I sure am glad I did not....with an unknown history the WH should be high on the list of "replaceables" during your renovation...at the very least pull the drain plug and the thermostat access to inspect the interior.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 01:38 PM   #6
just jd.

2007 20' Safari SE
San Diego , California
operate all valves

So our trailer is only two years used, and filled (almost) exclusively with soft water. We typically drain the tanks & heater by the low-point drains after each trip.

Despite this, we recently -- and suddenly -- had nearly zero hot water output from the shower one morning. Pretty odd.

From the coach interior, I turned the hot water exit value on/off several times: blammo! massive hot water again.

Maybe something similar is going on with yours?

Now added to my home-departure checklist: operate all the valves I can find a few times.

Cheers,
-jd.
Old 12-13-2008, 05:26 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Gualala , California
Thumbs up Water is flowing

We got water in all faucets, both hot and cold! Thank you all for the very comprehensive advice. Earlier this week I opened the hot water output on the HW heater, opened the faucets one at a time and blew..... I got water spray out of all of them. I then replaced the hose at the water pump.

This morning we took it to our nearest water source (we have it in storage and work on it without electricity or water) hooked up and got water everywhere we should get it.
So this was the last unknown for Grace, all of the systems work and we are at the end of our major work Just trim, touchup and minor details left.

We took her camping over Thanksgiving and we're set.

Thanks all who have ever input on this great forum. I, for one, have found great, detailed, funny, helpful, information and answers to my questions and dilemas. I have saved much money and time and surely frustration and heartache because of all that is available here.
Once more THANKS!!!

AIR #25767