Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-06-2011, 09:40 PM   #1
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Celina , Ohio
No water from pump

I started to de-winterize our 2010 22'sport today. I had no problems when hooked up to city water,but I am unable to get any water when using the pump. I know the pump works, I put the inlet hose from the pump into some water and it pumped ok. When I try to use it from the fresh water tank no water comes out of the faucets or toilet all I hear are bubbles comming from them.

Any suggestions?

Gary
Castaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 09:43 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
You have water in the tank, right?

Could have a hole in the line from the tank to the pump and all you are drawing is air.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castaway View Post
I started to de-winterize our 2010 22'sport today. I had no problems when hooked up to city water,but I am unable to get any water when using the pump. I know the pump works, I put the inlet hose from the pump into some water and it pumped ok. When I try to use it from the fresh water tank no water comes out of the faucets or toilet all I hear are bubbles comming from them.

Any suggestions?

Gary
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 07:39 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Is the in-line strainer in the line between the tank and pump tight? If it's loose it will draw air.
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 09:10 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Consider if you left water in the Fresh Water tank that it may be frozen yet. Its enclosed under the belly pan and does not get any sun and possibley with take a while to thaw. I dont have a drain but I do pump my tank dry in the winterizing process.
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 11:40 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Disconnect the hose on the intake of the pump and see if water comes out. If you have a valve on the discharge of the tank, make sure it is open. The inline filter may be plugged as well.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 11:44 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Denton , North Carolina
You may also look for a small crack in the clear plastic filter on the in-take side of the water pump. Adding to what Bill Kerfoot and dznf0g said in post #2 and#3.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:45 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikethefixit View Post
Consider if you left water in the Fresh Water tank that it may be frozen yet. Its enclosed under the belly pan and does not get any sun and possibley with take a while to thaw. I dont have a drain but I do pump my tank dry in the winterizing process.
If this is the problem, you can add some water to the tank which should melt the ice enough for it to float so that the pump should pick up the water.

I think that I would add some water anyway just to be sure that what was there didn't somehow escape during the winter.
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp3nuNtlZcA&t=331s
https://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 02:20 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Celina , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkerfoot View Post
You have water in the tank, right?

Could have a hole in the line from the tank to the pump and all you are drawing is air.

Bill
After blowing air back through the line I now have water in the glass screen thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Is the in-line strainer in the line between the tank and pump tight? If it's loose it will draw air.
See above

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikethefixit View Post
the tank was empty over the winter, I filled it before starting and today it is 47 degrees, so it is not frozen

Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
Disconnect the hose on the intake of the pump and see if water comes out. If you have a valve on the discharge of the tank, make sure it is open. The inline filter may be plugged as well.
The filter is clean

After talking to Woodland Travel it looks like it may be a bad pump, I will try a few more things tommorrow to check this out.

Thanks for the ideas and suggestions

Gary
Old 04-07-2011, 07:23 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
I had a similar experience. Could not get the pump to draw with the tank 2/3 full. Talked to a buddy. He said these little pumps can't pull air too well, and that I should fill the tank to overflowing and try again. He also said I had to open the taps to allow the built up air to escape. She ran dry for about ten minutes and then filled very nicely. Like you, I was on the verge of buying a new pump. Whew, dodged that bullet this Spring. The redbud is out and the dogwoods are just showing white. We're going camping!
TAC VA-18 | Life Mbr ACI 1927 - Spirit of Virginia Club | AIR 53869
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 07:48 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Northeastern , Kentucky
I had a similar problem this past winter and was about to give up. Before quitting, however, I decided to open a drain valve on the outlet side of the pump. I opened the valve while the pump was running, and the pump started working right away. I have no idea why this worked...perhaps air in the line was interefering and allowed out?
KYAirstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 08:59 PM   #11
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Celina , Ohio
I found the problem today. Last fall I attached a 20 inch line between the pump and the filter that I used to suck up anti-freeze into the pump. This 20 inches is apparently enough length to diminish the vacum enough that it cannot suction from the water tank. I removed that and everything works as it should. It should be noted that Woodland Travel was a big help trouble shooting over the phone,they even sent a replacement pump to try.

Thanks for all of the ideas and suggestions

Gary