Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-27-2007, 06:29 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2007 28' International CCD
Currently Looking...
Vail , Arizona
Question No Prime, or no pump?

My 98 Safari 23 recently returned from a trip during which the fresh water drain petcock was knocked off by road debris or a rock. The remaining part of the valve was plugged temporarily, and, according to my brother who was using the trailer, all was well the rest of the trip. The tank eventually drained, and has now been refilled and the valve replaced, but the pump will not pick up a prime. It is a Shur Flo and is supposed to be self priming. We did let it run for several minutes with the taps open, as directed by the pump instructions, but no dice. We don't think that the pump was left on to run dry at any time. Any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong. The pump failing at the same time the tank is dry just can't be a coincidence.
blaisew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 08:58 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
sounds like the pump was on while driving, valve damaged and water drained , pump ran until it cooked !!! ,dollars to donuts thats what happened
doubt you got the whole story from user---pieman

ps---another example of why NOT to loan your AS
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 09:10 AM   #3
Rivet Master

This may be caused by an air leak on the intake side. Perhaps a connection was disturbed when the petcock was removed and installed? When this happened on my trailer, I found a split in the inlet pipe. You can establish that the pump is OK by detaching the inlet line from the tank at the pump, attaching a short length of hose to the pump inlet, and placing the other end of the hose in a bucket of water. Opening a faucet should then pump water out of the bucket. Strictly, you would want the level of the water in the bucket to be equal or lower than the water in the tank, but I didn't bother. Assuming the pump is proved OK, look for loose inlet hose clips or a split hose. If there is no apparent problem, and the tank is indeed full , then check that the breather pipe is not blocked. On my trailer, inside the water flap is a small opening, the open end of the breather pipe. Using a suitably sized straw you can blow down this to ensure the breather pipe is clear. On my trailer there is a small plastic plug on a short plastic strap which is used to block the breather during storage, to prevent insect ingress. One year I forgot to remove the plug, and the symptoms were as you describe. My best guess is that you have a loose clip at one end of that inlet pipe. Good luck.
Nick.
Old 11-27-2007, 12:23 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Vail , Arizona
Thumbs up Good info

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll do some more serious troubleshooting on the pump and narrow down the problem!
Old 11-27-2007, 05:16 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Another possibility -
The pump can be taken apart for service by twisting the housing - My pump vibrated apart once, causing it to suck air/lose prime. I twisted it back into place with no further problems.
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 12:38 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Vail , Arizona
Thumbs up Pump failed!

The problem was the pump. It wouldn't even pump water out of my temporary suction line (routed to a bottle of water) if I held the line in the air. The diaphrams looked good when I disassembled the pump head, but then you can't really see them as they are semi concealed. I have a new head and will install this weekend. Hopefully that will do the trick.