Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-23-2003, 10:07 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Question Newbiw water system questions-HELP!!

Okay-here we go, I filled my water tank ,turned the inlet water line valve on(Under the front seat) & turned the pump switch on....& ....we have running water in all the faucets(GOOD!)-now there is a little clear hose just sticking out of the underbelly of the trailer by the water tank & pump..this also has a inline shut off valve-what is this for? Is it some type of breather? Do I leave it on or off? in the on postion it just keeps draining water from my fresh water tank.... Now a second question -On my trailer I only have a BLACK tank, I thought waste & drain water goes into this tank-but when I ran all the faucets water came out of a PVC drain pipe just to the right of my black tank! Is this how water is dumped? I didn't think campgrounds let you drain water right into the soil?!? Your help would be greatly appreciated-since our first trip is this weekend..Thanks the ChiTowners
Chitown AirStreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 10:17 AM   #2
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
The first thing you're describing is probably the drain for the fresh water tank.

second question: grey water (from the sinks and shower) doesn't go into the black tank; it is supposed to just flow out the pipe and onto the ground. Most campgrounds don't want you to dump grey water onto the ground...but in 1967, they didn't care. So now, you need to buy one of those blue portable tanks with wheels. roll that under the trailer, connect it to the sewer pipe, and use that to collect the grey water. when it fills, you drag it over to the dump station. (you could also use it to shuttle your black water over there, too, without having to break camp and drive the trailer to the dump station).

I'm not sure about your description of the grey water output, though. on mine, the pipe that carries the grey water enters the big pipe to which you attach the sewer hose...but it attaches below the black-water gate valve. so the grey water and black water "appear" to come out the same place...well, I guess they actually DO come out the same place, but the black water won't actually exit the trailer until you pull the valve.
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 10:56 AM   #3
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
The clear little tube with a cut off the exits the belly of the trailer is a drain valve for the fresh water system. It allows you to drain your tank and the piping to the pump in preparation for winterizing. They did not have non-toxic antifreeze in the 60's

You should have two more valves like it in the rear that drains the hot and cold water systems past the pump. These should be on either side of the dump valve.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 02:35 PM   #4
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Joel,

I think the tube in question is the fresh water purge. You want that closed unless you are emtpying the tank.

Most campgrounds don't let you dump your grey water on the campsite and some buy external tanks to capture the grey water and dispose of it as some campgrounds prefer.

We we hook up, I'm sure we will be able to figure it out.

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 02:41 PM   #5

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
This seems like as good a time as any to ask this: when we get where we're going and go to hook up the blue tank, there's always some water that spills out when we take off the cap under the trailer. Is this normal? Or could it mean our black tank valve is leaking? I was hoping it was just some water left in the traps or something. It's not much water, so we just put a little bucket under there when we open it and dump it in the blue tank. It's mostly just annoying.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 02:48 PM   #6
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Mine does it too and it is still a young lass.....

Eric
Old 07-23-2003, 03:08 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Nice responses guys..

Chitown...ain't it great that you could put out a question and get an almost immediate response from so many knowledgable people. You've gotta love it.

You don't really need any more info except that I have a 63 Safari and have TWO drains at the rear of the trailer. When I replaced the entire water system I kept that original design. One is for draining the entire fresh water system or for hooking up to the water supply in camp and the other is for draining the hot water heater. I live where winters are particularly cold and the original owner didn't winterize one year therefore all the copper was split. I like the idea of emptying the water heater too. I replaced all the copper with re-enforced braided clear tubing like on a boat. Works great and it made the retro fitting sooo much easier.

Niki
Rubyacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 03:09 PM   #8
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Eric and Steph,

It all depends on the plumbing. Doh!

Steph, your grey system is not sealed so trap water or water run while underway, handwashing etc is going to collect. Bouncing down the road will cause water to move downstream so to speak. If is does not smell like black water, dont worry. Just keep the bucket handy.

Eric, on a 03 model I would think the tube would be dry when you get to the point where it is time to hook up. In my 70's era coaches as long as the valves are in good condition I have a dry tube or only a drop or two when I pull the cap. On my 76 I had a bad Black valve. It was always a bit of a chore to hook up. I would normally wait until after diner so to protect my tummy, and to hide the fact I had a bad valve. It is now fixed and I have a dry tube experience every time. If your Grey tank is far from the outlet I can see how you might have a bit or water left after dumping. I do not know the newer models and tank layouts like I do the 60-70's models.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 03:20 PM   #9
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
The other option of course is to only use full hookup sites with a sewer connection.

That is what we do. I don't own a blue tote tank yet.

With a sewer connection at the campsite, all your grey water goes directly out the drain into the sewer hose and campground sewer. Then every few days as needed, pull the black tank valve and dump the black tank.

I have to do it daily since I have a family of four who exclusivly use the trailers facitlites and my black tank is only 12 gallons.

We also shower daily in the trailer so a blue tank for us is not very practical.

Yes, after driving when you pull the sewer cap off the trailer you will get some water. It is water from the traps in the sinks getting sloshed around while driving.
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 03:31 PM   #10

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally posted by Silvertwinkie
Mine does it too and it is still a young lass.....

Eric
Eric,

You will note that there it takes a little time for the water to completely stop once you close the gray water valve. If you are like me when you shut the valve off and pull off the drain hose there will be still a very small stream of water flowing. We then cap the line and next time we go out and open the cap, a small amount of water comes out which was collecting from the gray water drain downstream from the valve. Nothing to get concerned about. This is normal.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 04:08 PM   #11
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Well, when I tested the trailer out much more throughly when I had it before the maiden voyage (when it finally warmed up). I placed some water in the black and grey tanks. I noticed without ever once opening the valves that water had come out when I opened the cap.

So I places a bit of food coloring in the water and let it sit for a few days (valves closed for about 1 day). Opened the cap and the water with the black tank color had water in the cap when I took the cap off. Let it empty and replaced the cap. Let it sit for about 24 hours and it had the same color water, almost the same amount in the cap area.

So... I either have a very slow leaking valve or, the black tank fairy has struck again!

Eric