Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-26-2011, 07:40 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1971 31' Sovereign
1967 22' Safari
1958 22' World Traveler
Pardeeville , Wisconsin
New plumbing...install filters?

Ive removed all the old copper (with all its problems)..starting the pex replacement...do ya'll think that water filters are necessary? talking to the local RV guy, he said that the newer trailer dont have any when new... Would also be an easy add-on later if i decide to... Thoughts..??
WBCCI #10917
AIR #32349
TAC #WI-2
aircooled4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 07:52 PM   #2
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
In my opinion, they are not necessary. But, I grew up drinking from the hydrant next to the barn. I have one in my trailer. It was there when I bought the trailer. I replaced all the copper plumbing this week. Pex and the crimp fittings are such a great help to a noob plumber like me.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 09:27 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1963 16' Bambi
Stevens Point , Wisconsin
Aircooled4,
Love the Pex, get the crimping tool.
Forget the filter. drink beer!
Tim
Beaker63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 09:53 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Port Hadlock , Washington
I pressurized my new PEX system today for the first time and it had no leaks. You'll really like it.

If you find you want a filter, you can always use an inline external filter when you hook up to city water or fill your tanks.

-steve

Blog: My 57 Caravanner
pbearsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 05:23 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1971 31' Sovereign
1967 22' Safari
1958 22' World Traveler
Pardeeville , Wisconsin
Thanks guys...already have the crimping tool...redid the plumbing in my house so i had to buy it! I thihnk then I will forego the filter...will be easy enough to add later...
WBCCI #10917
AIR #32349
TAC #WI-2
Old 05-27-2011, 05:37 AM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I hate to tell you, but your local RV guy is mistaken. Most new RV's most certainly come with water filters. Usually they are in a cabinet near the water pump. The filter cartridge must be removed prior to Winterizing. New Airstreams also have water filters, usually under the galley sink, and operated by a separate control.
For you, you can get an inline water filter that connects to the water spigot at the RV park. It is cheap, about $25, and will filter the entire trailer. That gives you the advantage of having all the water filtered, instead of just the drinking water. You replace it every year.
Old 05-27-2011, 05:42 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Kimmell , Indiana
I would recommend a small filter between your holding tank and your water pump to protect the water pump.
Hoosierdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 05:45 AM   #8
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosierdaddy View Post
I would recommend a small filter between your holding tank and your water pump to protect the water pump.
Most water pumps have a strainer to keep the big stuff that will damage the pump out. The only time I've seen anything in one has been in pop-ups that aren't maintained, and the stuff has been green (shudder). The strainer should be more than enough for onboard water, plus, a filter could cause enough of a restriction the pump flow can be reduced significantly.
Old 05-27-2011, 05:55 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1970 25' Tradewind
Cleveland , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by aircooled4 View Post
Ive removed all the old copper (with all its problems)..starting the pex replacement...do ya'll think that water filters are necessary? talking to the local RV guy, he said that the newer trailer dont have any when new... Would also be an easy add-on later if i decide to... Thoughts..??
I use something similar to this filter. It has a water hose female inlet and I put a faucet valve on the outlet. I hook it up when I make my connections. Spin on housing and washable element and also able to see what kind of water I am getting prior to filter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	filter.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	130788  
Eliminator46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 08:35 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic S/O
Parkdale , Oregon
Sorry for the lack of an inserted photo, but I have them shown in our Images, within the kitchen photos.

I installed the same style of filter as Eliminator46, but I placed it under the sink. This style of filter case is a standard size, and replacement filters are available at nearly any hardware store, and the filters are available in varying levels of filtration.

We use the standard water hose torpedo inline filter for the primary filter, and the canister filter under the sink for the instant hot water and drinking water faucets.

We have been full timing in our Airstream for two years, and we have found that not all communities have nice tasting or odorless water. Even the garden hose filter alone was not good enough to filter coffee water, and we had to use the drinking water faucet to fill the coffee maker.

I would recommend both inside and outside filters, because last summer at a RV park in South Dakota, I had the outside filter plug up, and when I investigated, and disassembled the hoses from the filter, I found the front end of the filter was packed full of earwig parts. I hacked and gagged, and threw the filter away. The earwigs had found a happy home inside of the faucet, and I attached the hose and trapped them inside, then flushing the whole bunch down to the filter.

On the down side, the more filters that you add, to the system, the slower the water flows through them.

Steve
darlingbooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 09:28 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Love the inline filter directly off the city water supply, before your trailer. Easiest solution in the world.
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 01:15 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1971 31' Sovereign
1967 22' Safari
1958 22' World Traveler
Pardeeville , Wisconsin
I was thinking that Overlander...i wouldve guessed that the newer trailers would hve to have something to filter the water...I am placing a strainer before the pump...may just have to get a new filter to install before the drinking water!
WBCCI #10917
AIR #32349
TAC #WI-2
Old 05-28-2011, 05:19 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1971 31' Sovereign
1967 22' Safari
1958 22' World Traveler
Pardeeville , Wisconsin
Old vs New. These are the drain valves under the sink, by the fresh water tank...refabbed with pex...
WBCCI #10917
AIR #32349
TAC #WI-2
Old 05-28-2011, 05:43 AM   #14
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by aircooled4 View Post
..may just have to get a new filter to install before the drinking water!
No need to. Just get a Brita pitcher with the built-in pitcher. You can even use it when hooked to city water, or at home when not camping. They're small and relatively cheap. We have one for Bertha.
Old 05-28-2011, 06:16 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Kimmell , Indiana
Most water pumps have a strainer to keep the big stuff that will damage the pump out. The only time I've seen anything in one has been in pop-ups that aren't maintained, and the stuff has been green (shudder). The strainer should be more than enough for onboard water, plus, a filter could cause enough of a restriction the pump flow can be reduced significantly.

Yep, Terry I should have said Strainer instead of Filter. Something to keep small chunks of rust or sand out of the pump. On my Newell it is seperate from the pump.
Thanks for clarifying.
Hoosierdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote