Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-25-2006, 05:01 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Groveport , Ohio
New member can't find water tank answer

Hello everyone,
What I believe to be my fresh water tank is green.It seems that all I read is about black or gray.(71 Safari)sorry.It is placed under the sub floor in the front and to the left of sink.I can see part of it from in the cabinet.Am I really missing the boat and these are waste only tanks that are being discussed.I hope someone didn't hack some after market thing in there.
Thanks Robert
bertro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 05:41 PM   #2
Rivet Master

You are correct!

Robert,

That would be your fresh tank. I have the same trailer just a 1970. If you open the door below the sink, you should see the fill pipe coming in from the side of the trailer down to the tank.

Paul Waddell
WDCU Prez (In the words of Richard Nixon "I'm not a crook")
rideair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 08:34 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
hello bertro and welcome to the forums.The reference to grey or black tank
is about the contents of the tanks not the color of them .The black is the waste/toilet/sewer ,the grey is the waste water tank from the shower ,sinks etc.your green under the sink is your grey tank /or grey water tank as in dirty
waste water.

Scott of scottanlily
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 09:18 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
I don't believe a '71 has a grey water tank , just black water and fresh water .
ticki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 06:45 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Danielsville , Georgia
Robert,

When you locate your black tank, you'll discover that it's actually white!
PizzaChop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 06:52 AM   #6
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Robert,
The "fresh" water tank is probably green because of what is growing in it. 1971 models do not normally have gray water tanks, it was not even a factory option until 1973-74. The black tank is near the bath room, like directly under the commode.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 08:05 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2001 16' Bambi
2013 23' International
Piedmont Region , North Carolina
Fresh water tank

[quote=bertro]Hello everyone,
What I believe to be my fresh water tank is green.

Berto,

I have a '72 and the fresh water tank is green. What Wahoonc says is probably right, no telling what is growing inside it, but my original tank is actually colored green. No grey water tank.

TB
tinbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 07:33 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
bertro ,the tank you mentioned is the fresh water tank ,I had made a mistake in my comments there.I thought you were talking about what the differences were between the tanks ,as in colors versus contents etc.

Ok then

scott
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 10:04 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2013 31' Classic
Crossville , Tennessee
Robert,
To clean your fresh water tank and render it usable; open the tank drain undrneath, and make sure it is empty. Then pour 2 or 3 cups of household bleach into it, and then fill with water. Let it sit fir a day. Drain, and refill with fresh water, letting that sit a couple of hours, and then drain and refill, then drain again. Then fill with fresh water, and use. That should be good enough tho clean the tank well.
steelbird312 WBCCI #6673 jerry Hodge
2013 31" Classic limited
Have no intention of arriving at the grave safely, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, throttle in the other, totally worn out and screaming
"WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE!"
steelbird312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 10:37 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
We all live and learn

I bought new, so I missed all of the thrills of stuff growing in the fresh water tank, the "black mountain" (petrified pooh) that can grow in a black tank, and mouse poop, mold, etc... that can happen in vintage. I use my fresh water tank if I'm planning to boondock, and have learned to carry 5 gallons in it even if I'm not for an emergency shower after changing a tire, etc.

However, even with a new unit I've chosen not use the fresh tank for cooking or drinking. I carry bottled water for that. My dentist informs me that so many people drink bottled water now that he is seeing an upswing in business due to lack of florine intake. I drink tap water when I'm home and I will put a gallon in my refrigerator before traveling, but Mexico taught me to be wary strange tap water.

Even though most tap water in the USA is fine I prefer to enjoy travel without being accompanied by diarrhea. Over-cautious? Well, is there a downside of not getting Tiajuana tummy?

Use the "search" function here as you're learning about your new toy. It is amazing how much knowledge there is here and you wouldn't believe how many mistakes you'll avoid thanks to the generous people here. My semi-permanent campground has several older women who've found themselves without a mate and without a clue. They now have to learn if they want to keep on camping. It is solely through what I've garnered here that I can really contribute to their sense of safety and freedom.

Now before you proceed further, look up "blue tank"..... which is actually your portable GRAY tank. Back in the 70's it used to be fine to drain your gray water on the ground, but between environmental rules and much more heavily used campgrounds this is no longer acceptable. To camp, you'll need to get a "blue boy" and position it under the gray water drain and tow it to the dump station every few days. (Of course if you're really in the wild and it's a dark night, "thirsty raccoons" can happen.) If you're doing a major restoration of course you can add a permanent gray tank.

The fun never stops... nor the learning.

Happy trails... Paula Ford
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote