Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2012, 08:41 PM   #1
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Need fresh water leak test help!

As most of you know I am a solo streamer. I am finally recovered enough from dropping my motorcycle to try to finish getting her ready to sell. At the rate I am going it will be for next season.

I went to sanatize the water systems today. bad idea.

I decided I would start by filling the main water tank to sanitize it. I poured bleach down the spout then tried to add water. it came squirting out all over me. I think I now have a pair of spotted jeans and shoes. Water started running out from underneath as well. Not a good sign. I quickly turned off the water and expected to have water running out the door. Good luck. The side and rear tilt of the trailer made the water go into the belly quickly. I need a water leaker checker.

The only thing I can find was the suction screen housing had cracked. This should have had nothing to do with it. I was not pressurizing the water lines just trying to fill the tank from the curb side fill and vent. I am not even sure it the pump works.

Any one in the Missoula area want to help?

Guarenteed pay $0. Benefits: knowing you did a good deed. I have ice tea and water. not even any sugar.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 08:54 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Michelle, it's possible the fresh water tank shifted and pinched, tore the fill line on the tank when you had your minor run-under a couple of months ago.
Missoula is a little too far for me, I hope somebody can give you a hand locally.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:52 PM   #3

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
Michelle, it's possible the fresh water tank shifted and pinched, tore the fill line on the tank when you had your minor run-under a couple of months ago.
Missoula is a little too far for me, I hope somebody can give you a hand locally.
Terry,
I ran my hand along the entire length of the hose. I was checking for cracks.
the fill line is in tact and not kinked as far I can tell. I just need to see where the water is coming from on the inside.
I suspect everything since the water system has not been used for two years.

Old 07-07-2012, 05:38 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
The driest way to check for water leaks is to pressurize the system with air. I made a quick disconnect for the water inlet so I could hook the hose from my air compressor to blow the water out of the system at the end of the season. You can buy the adaptors as most RV stores. CAUTION, make sure you turn the pressure regulator on the air compressor to no more that 45 lbs of pressure before you hook it up or you could blow lines. With the system pressurized it is really easy to hear leaks so they can be located and repaired. With air in the lines the hissing sound is easy to hear. As for your leak when just filling the fresh tank, this might not help.
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 10:03 PM   #5

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Update I
Well this may be a little embarising(sp?). the tank is already full. Now I wonder why the vent did not start "leaking". I checked the screen. it was mostly clogged. I disconnect the tube at the tank. Water started running out. The vent tube is not clogged.
I was able get my hand up to the back of the fill port. It was wet. The insulation was wet. I removed all the wet insulation and the clamp on the fill pipe is loose. This has to be from the factory. The water tank has never been removed to my knowledge.

I replaced the cap on the cracked suction screen. Turned on the pump. water came spraying out. The pump housing is cracked.
I threw down a rag and locked the trailer.
end of story for the day.

Old 07-07-2012, 10:51 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
'hope this all clears up for you.
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote