Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-11-2021, 05:30 PM   #1
Calamity Jane

2019 28' Flying Cloud
Marquette , Michigan
Question Low pressure Hot Water

We left the cold and snow of the Upper Peninsula 😊 and had terrific winds last night and during today’s travel in S Illinois. But that’s not the issue!! Finally able to de-winterize this afternoon at a campsite in SW Missouri. All is good— EXCEPT the hot water has very low pressure. A dribble. Cold water is fine. My dear hubby tapped on the mixing valve…. No change. This is a 2019 FC and her name is Ginger. What should we try next? (we = Ed). Thanks!! JC
CalamityJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 06:40 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
Conifer , Colorado
Make sure your water heater bypass valves are set correctly, fully open on the hot and cold lines, and fully closed on the bypass line.

You may have developed some ice in one of the hot water lines during your cold trip on the highway. Open cabinet doors so heated furnace air can get to the pipes.

Others will chime in with more ideas.

David
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 06:33 AM   #3
Calamity Jane

2019 28' Flying Cloud
Marquette , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbj216 View Post
Make sure your water heater bypass valves are set correctly, fully open on the hot and cold lines, and fully closed on the bypass line.

You may have developed some ice in one of the hot water lines during your cold trip on the highway. Open cabinet doors so heated furnace air can get to the pipes.

Others will chime in with more ideas.

David
Thanks! We have kept doors open/cracked the past several nights. My hubby guy thinks there is only 1 bypass valve and he says he opened it completely yesterday when he started to de--winterize. Fresh water fill done; hot water works on both electric & propane; only issue that remains of low hot water pressure— with pump and also with city water. We certainly appreciate your help— headed to Oklahoma today.
Old 12-12-2021, 06:40 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2020 23' International
Evergreen , Colorado
The mixing valve may need more than a few taps; it may need a removal and reinstallation with a proper cleaning. If the filter is packed with sediment, then tapping it won’t help.

2020 International Serenity 23 FB "Sparkle Plenty"
2018 GMC Sierra Denali 1500
Airstream Club International #2805
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 07:11 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
We had this happen after de-winterizing last year. I am convinced it was the screen being clogged on the inlet to the mixing valve, but I couldn't get the mixing valve to budge with the tools I had at the campground. It gradually got better with use over a few days on its own so that by the time we got home, it was fine.

My theory is that winterizing with compressed air and the water heater valve open stirs up the debris in the water heater tank and then, with the first use after de-winterizing, the screen is clogged. This year I am going to close the valve to the water heater prior to using compressed air.

Hopefully, your screen will clear on its own too, but you could try a flushing wand like a Camco 11691 to try to clear it. If that fails, removing and cleaning the mixing valve is probably the answer.
DCPAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 07:19 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2020 23' International
Evergreen , Colorado
I was also in a campground when mine stopped working last spring. I had to go to Home Depot and buy a 10” pipe wrench to remove the mixing valve. They can be really tight!

Old 12-12-2021, 10:14 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCPAS View Post
We had this happen after de-winterizing last year. I am convinced it was the screen being clogged on the inlet to the mixing valve, but I couldn't get the mixing valve to budge with the tools I had at the campground. It gradually got better with use over a few days on its own so that by the time we got home, it was fine.

My theory is that winterizing with compressed air and the water heater valve open stirs up the debris in the water heater tank and then, with the first use after de-winterizing, the screen is clogged. This year I am going to close the valve to the water heater prior to using compressed air.

Hopefully, your screen will clear on its own too, but you could try a flushing wand like a Camco 11691 to try to clear it. If that fails, removing and cleaning the mixing valve is probably the answer.
My theory is that winterizing with compressed air isn't the problem, the problem is that minerals in the water buildup inside the water heater and after the water heater is drained the buildup dries out and flakes off.

This would mean that a flushing wand like a Camco 11691 would be better to use when de-winterizing then when winterizing.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 11:09 AM   #8
OnTheRoad

2015 30' International
Strasburg , Colorado
Water heater slow flow

I have the same problem every year when getting the coach ready to use for the season. I was giving information from one of the service techs that the hot water heater has a back flow valve built in to prevent hot water from flowing in the wrong direction. Ours always flows slow for a while but eventually frees up and the hot water flows normal. It seems to free up best when on city water. I just make sure the hot water tank is full, turn on hot water system and let the hot water flow until I am satisfied with the water flow.
Old 12-12-2021, 12:17 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazbro View Post
My theory is that winterizing with compressed air isn't the problem, the problem is that minerals in the water buildup inside the water heater and after the water heater is drained the buildup dries out and flakes off.

This would mean that a flushing wand like a Camco 11691 would be better to use when de-winterizing then when winterizing.
Thanks. I'll add that to my de-winterizing tasks.
Old 12-12-2021, 01:32 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
most likely the white calcium that accumulates in the tank. When you drain the tank be sure to flush with the WH flush tool you can buy at walmart. I find by sliding it in and out the hole while water is running help to keep the sedemate floating around and going on the hole..

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Rinser-...23020441&psc=1

do this a couple times a year and you will be good.
WBCCI#1691, Piedmont Airstream Club, Unit #161, Region #3
carl2591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 05:30 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
A 'mixing' valve? Thought H & C handles took care of it?

Bob
🇺🇸
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 05:45 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
A 'mixing' valve? Thought H & C handles took care of it?

Bob
����
Not with the new water heaters, they heat the water to 160-175 degrees and to not get sued the water heater manufacturer adds a valve to mix in cold water to keep the max temp at faucets under 130. Suppose to give you the equivalent of 9-10 gallon water heater.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 11:10 AM   #13
Calamity Jane

2019 28' Flying Cloud
Marquette , Michigan
Thanks!

I’m happy to let you all know that I’m in hot water, happily! Just letting it flow & flow did the trick. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and for helping us with your ideas. We appreciate the feedback!
Old 12-13-2021, 07:24 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
Conifer , Colorado
Do you think you melted ice in the lines? Or maybe flushed out water heater debris?

Nevertheless, you now have the luxury of running hot water.

David
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 08:55 AM   #15
Calamity Jane

2019 28' Flying Cloud
Marquette , Michigan
wH debris

Our bet is water heater debris. We will flush the WH a couple times, use the brush, and flush again the next time we winterize.
Old 12-14-2021, 09:21 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalamityJane View Post
We will flush the WH a couple times, use the brush, and flush again the next time we winterize.
It's not a brush; it's a wand through which water flows at a pretty good rate. Be prepared to get wet! I now plan to use the wand when winterizing and again when de-winterizing. I still plan not to run compressed air through the water heater, because, that could be the source of the debris moving up toward the outlet, but I really don't know.
Old 12-14-2021, 10:15 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2020 23' International
Evergreen , Colorado
Glad you got it working!

Old 05-26-2022, 10:48 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

2019 25' International
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Our first trip after de winterizing and discovered the low hot water pressure problem yesterday near the Canada border our trip headed to Alaska. We left Wisconsin this trip after 34,000 miles last year, making the wrong assumption that everything would work. I will learn some day. Luckily, whacking the mixing valve worked for us and it has gotten better over the last day. I won't trust the problem fixed itself and will order a spare mixing valve for delivery in Alaska after reading how common this problem is. Thank you to those who have posted on this issue before.

Dan
Travelingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 08:16 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
Can you not just remove the mixing valve??

on our 2005 classic i do not have that devil and don't have a problem with it sticking, messing up etc EVER.

our WH temp is set at like 150 when i measure it at the sink tap which is hot for sure but you learn to make sure you dont turn on full hot and walk away.. never had a problem with kids and water at home either.. you teach them how to modulate the water valve and take a shower.

sounds like the mixing valve is like the law in florida that is more of a solution to non existence problem.

When you have to "wack" something to get it to work sounds like time to remove and move on.. but that is me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelingman View Post
Our first trip after de winterizing and discovered the low hot water pressure problem yesterday near the Canada border our trip headed to Alaska. We left Wisconsin this trip after 34,000 miles last year, making the wrong assumption that everything would work. I will learn some day. Luckily, whacking the mixing valve worked for us and it has gotten better over the last day. I won't trust the problem fixed itself and will order a spare mixing valve for delivery in Alaska after reading how common this problem is. Thank you to those who have posted on this issue before.

Dan
WBCCI#1691, Piedmont Airstream Club, Unit #161, Region #3
carl2591 is offline   Reply With Quote