Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2014, 09:41 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB International
Simi Valley , California
Unhappy Losing Fresh Water while driving

Hi folks,

I searched the forums and didn't see this addressed anywhere so here is the situation:

I can fill my fresh water tank and have the trailer sit for a couple of months and not lose a drop of water.
When I fill it and drive for an hour or so I will lose approx. 3/8 of a tank (15 gal). Yes I'm sure it's full and yes the cap is on tight.
I did notice the other day that the fitting (through which you fill the tank) was loose. I popped it back in and gave it an 1/8 to 1/4 turn (which is all you can do. I don't know if that has anything at all to do with the water loss because I have no idea what's behind the fitting.
Has anyone else experienced this and what was the solution? Thanks in advance.
Shelly M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 09:45 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
When you say you're losing water, are you seeing it drip out or are you judging by the Micropulse meter? I thought I was losing 1/2 tank from FW but it was actually the Micropulse.
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 10:04 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Simi Valley , California
I'm going by the meter.
It's accurate when it is full and when I'm at a site with a full tank it decrements as it should. Also, when I lose the water while driving, and get to my destination, and it shows 5/8, it decrements from there accurately. So...it appears to work as it should and has always seemed consistent in its operation.
Old 04-29-2014, 10:15 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Don't count on it Shelly. Mine behaves oddly after driving as well. Sometimes after arriving at my destination, it will correct itself after several hours and sometimes not. It is not a very good metering system. Search the forum for "micropulse" and you will see all kinds of inaccuracy scenarios.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 10:19 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Perhaps fill it at one location, check the meter reads full, drive to another location, check the meter and physically refill the FW tank (best if you can with one of those 10 gallon spouted bags so you can see if its actually using 2 of those to refill or not.

I had a maddening time with the Micropulse all last year. Had it recalibrated at the factory last week - it's working well (for now) but I don't expect that to last.

I swore I had a leak midway up the tank because I could fill at a campsite and drive 2 miles and it would be at half on the meter....

Good luck!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 11:32 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
If 15 gallon leaked out in an hour there should be a leak showing. If it did not leak out them maybe the pump is running and it went into the gray water? If neither of those I would bet it is still in the tank. A check of where the fill line meets the tank might be in order if the water is really gone. A common place for a failure.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 12:02 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Simi Valley , California
Connection inspection

Where would a leak show? If I'm driving down the road I would not necessarily see a leak. And once it gets to 5/8 tank it stops....I could be driving another 8 hours and it would still read 5/8 so, if I actually have a leak, it only seems to "slosh" out 15 gal.
The pump is off guaranteed. And the gray water tank is empty (as I have verified by opening it).
So it could be the gauge, but if not, like I said in the original post, the adaptor was loose. Can I loosen the adaptor and pull out the (extra) hose and see if and how it's attached to the adaptor?
Old 04-29-2014, 02:22 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Palomar Mountain , California
Go back and read 'SteveSueMac' to see if you are really losing water or it's the meter.
Top off tank before leaving - drive - top of tank when you arrive. See if you actually have to add any water upon arrival - if not it's the meter system which I suspect as these are never accurate over time. Best to pull sensors in tank and clean them. This works for me for awhile - than . . . .
Silver Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 02:59 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
Vintage Kin Owner
Bad Axe , Michigan
I would bet the meter is inaccurate. also. The only time I believe ours is when the fresh water tank is blinking red. Then I believe we are probably in need of adding water.
1977 31' International Sovereign - sold
2012 Ford F250 Superduty Crewcab

WBCCI# 1007 Air#2158
dkrug is offline   Reply With Quote