Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2007, 06:13 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Hamilton , Montana
Leaking fresh water tank

• Am a new owner of an 82 AS motorhome. It was purchased in Texas and I have a feeling it was never winterized. The manual says the valve to drain the fresh water tank is under the sofa bed, ( which I might add is a bummer to get at) and which three of us could not find. When adding water we get leaks.I'm afraid it's a cracked tank. Any suggestions on replacing, or repairing,and removing would be greatly appreciated. Frank--turbo8
Yorkrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 12:48 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Frank, I've often assumed the worst when carrying out a repair, done the extensive repair, and then found it was not the problem after all. Back in 1965 the clutch failed on my first car (1956 Austin A30 van). I spent a dreadful week in January, learning how to remove a gearbox while lying in a layer of melting ice. I installed a replacement clutch, (which, as a student, I couldn't afford without giving up lunch for a couple of weeks), and then reinstalled the gearbox. As I did so, I noticed that the clutch pedal pivot rod had dropped out of the frame when a split pin had corroded away. A whole week wasted.
So, for your fix, I would look for all possible simple solutions. One possibility is that the hose from the external filler to the tank has split. Another is that the hose clip where that pipe meets the tank requires tightening. Another is that frost has split a couple of pipes. Another is that a drain valve has been left open. I have had all four of these issues at various times over the past 8 years. Only if all these other causes have been eliminated would I look at the tank. Good luck with the hunt.
Nick.
Old 08-05-2007, 08:34 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Kenton , Ohio
I am working on this very same problem. Mine is either a leaking elbow fitting at the bottom of the tank that feeds the PEX tubing to the water pump or the clamp on the PEX tubing that is fitted over the elbow fitting. I found my leak by exposing the hole in the floor that is the access hole to the tank. Don't assume the worse quite yet. Keep digging around. (By the way, I had to remove a bed and storage bins to get access to the hole.)
Tom
1978 Ambassador
tlavergne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 10:35 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Turbo...Here's a recent thread that may be helpful...you can also use the search function to find other threads/discussions related to fresh water tank leaks, I'm sure... Or look through the sub-forums for related topics...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f443...ank-34795.html

Aren't water leaks a bummer?

Good luck...

TB
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 04:35 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Hamilton , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcrowhurst
Frank, I've often assumed the worst when carrying out a repair, done the extensive repair, and then found it was not the problem after all. Back in 1965 the clutch failed on my first car (1956 Austin A30 van). I spent a dreadful week in January, learning how to remove a gearbox while lying in a layer of melting ice. I installed a replacement clutch, (which, as a student, I couldn't afford without giving up lunch for a couple of weeks), and then reinstalled the gearbox. As I did so, I noticed that the clutch pedal pivot rod had dropped out of the frame when a split pin had corroded away. A whole week wasted.
So, for your fix, I would look for all possible simple solutions. One possibility is that the hose from the external filler to the tank has split. Another is that the hose clip where that pipe meets the tank requires tightening. Another is that frost has split a couple of pipes. Another is that a drain valve has been left open. I have had all four of these issues at various times over the past 8 years. Only if all these other causes have been eliminated would I look at the tank. Good luck with the hunt.
Nick.
Thanks for the suggestions. Like they say, don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. Further checks indicated it must have been in filling the tank. At least it was not the clutch on an Austin. Thanks again------Frank
Yorkrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 12:44 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Frank, that's good news. We like good news, and it's always useful to others to report the final result in a thread. Without that, we all lose the opportunity to learn.
Nick.