Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-29-2010, 06:18 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Texarkana , Texas
Question Is My Water Pump Working?

The fresh water in my 31' '76 Sovereign works when I hook up to city water, but not from the onboard water supply. The pump supposedly was recently replaced.

How do I know if my pump is working or if it is getting water supply to it? I've filled the tank, which appears to leak, but I will address that later. I've disconnected the hoses from the pump and have turned the pump on. It sounds like it's running, but I don't feel anything from the pump. Shouldn't I be able to feel some suction or air blowing if the pump is functioning?
pdwhitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 06:22 AM   #2
x

XXXX , XXXX
Reconnect the hoses and try again. It takes alittle while for the pump to prime itself. Make sure the hoses from the tank to pump are connected tight and not drawing in air becuase the pump will not prime and then cannot supply water.
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 06:26 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Since you have the hoses off already, another option would be to connect two lose hoses to the pump, and stick the inlet hose in a bucket of water, and then turn the pump on. That will basically bench test the pump before you hook it back up.
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 06:33 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdwhitt View Post
Shouldn't I be able to feel some suction or air blowing if the pump is functioning?
Not necessarily
Old 10-29-2010, 08:01 AM   #5
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Your water pump may be running but not pumping water because it lossed its prime. Unscrew the inlet side from the tank and attach a hose with a screw fitting to the inlet side of the pump. I use the set-up from a winterizing kit available from any RV supply. Take a big mouthful of water, turn the pump on and blow the water into the pump. Then stick the hose into a jug of water to make sure it is drawing water. Turn off pump, reconnect to tank, and you should be fine.
mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 02:27 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Texarkana , Texas
Question pump always runs

Here is another thing, my pump is running constantly when I turn the Water Pump switch on. I thought it was supposed to be on demand, and the pump should only cycle on if the faucet is opened. ???
Old 11-02-2010, 03:00 PM   #7
x

XXXX , XXXX
pdwitt did you fill the fresh water tank. If the pump has no supply of water it will run constantly until it can pressurize the system with water.
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 06:43 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Try This

The pump will also run constantly if it can't build up pressure. Connect the inlet hose to the pump and leave the outlet hose disconnected and run the pump. If you get water to come out the outlet with the hose disconnected, when you connect the outlet hose it should work. Open a valve at the sink, the pump will run until you get water at the sink and stop when you close the sink valve once the pressure is built up enough to satisfy the pressure switch. I'm assuming you don't have any leaks since you run on city water. You should have a check valve or a manual shut off valve to close off the city water supply when on house water. Are you sure that the house water isn't running out the city water inlet? Just to clarify when the pump should run. It will start when the pressure drops below the predetermined pressure switch rating for the low (Start) pressure. It will stop when the pressure reaches the predetermined High (Stop) pressure. If you have pressure built up and the pump is off. The pump may not start immediately when you open a faucet. The pressure switch determines when the pump starts and stops, not the position of the faucet valve.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 08:58 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Texarkana , Texas
Thanks everyone! I'm making some progress. I forced water into the inlet side, put the inlet hose into a bucket of water, turned on the pump, and got water out of the faucet, so I know the pump and plumbing work! But when I try to pull water up from the tank (I've filled the tank) I can hear water gurgling but only get air. I must have a bad connection or hose at the tank?
Old 11-03-2010, 01:03 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Texarkana , Texas
What is the best way to get to my fresh water tank, where the hose connects to draw water out of the tank? From the inside the furnace sits square over the tank and looks like would require removal. Or, will I need to remove the tank from the outside, the bottom?

'76 31' Sovereign
Old 11-03-2010, 01:30 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
If your fresh water tank has water in it, then it sounds like you have a bad connection between the pump and your tank. The easiest way to get to this connection is from above. If you have to remove the furnace, then do it. It's much more difficult to access the tank from underneath. Believe me, I know.

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
https://mellomikesairstreams.blogspot.com/
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote