Old 04-14-2020, 04:28 PM   #1
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I seem to have a leak SOMEWHERE

Well. Since we got kicked out of Key West a few weeks ago and had to come home early an issue has developed. I have not yet had the opportunity to dig into it but hope to soon. We keep our trailer parked at our sons house when we're home and when I parked it, upon returning home from Fla, I noticed water dripping from somewhere near the fresh water tank drain but NOT from the drain. We had just spent 3 months mostly dry camping in Key West so we have recently spent extended time using our fresh water supply without any problems.

So, when my son manages to get his truck back together so I can move my trailer off the road and into its usual parking spot I think I need to drop the tank cover and get a good look see. My question is : What should I anticipate in the job of dropping the pan ????? My trailer is a 2001 Excella 30' Classic.

Stay healthy all,

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 05:30 PM   #2
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Expect more replies, but so far Id leave a sleeping pan alone.

I just looked at my 2007 FW drain valve etc. minor drip.

Mine has a roughly 6x6 access panel under the valve no proof about yours. My closet floor is a removable access above pump etc. and FW drain valve I removed it and spotted the drip.

Could your valve/hose be dripping and the pan is just guttering the drip to somewhere else?

And this drip occurs with water in tank but not under pumping pressure?

Gary

S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 08:27 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Charlotte , North Carolina
Agree with Gary. Last weekend we camped in the driveway to get out of the house. Hooked up city water for our "stay".

I happened to notice a water puddle on the port/street/driver side near the dump valves. Small drop at a time.

Crap!!! Correlated it was below the foot of the bed. No water there. Next checked toilet, closest water source. Nothing. OK, what's behind that cabinet? Took some screws out of the access panel, stuck my phone in and snapped a picture.

Water on the floor!!! Took another look and saw a small drip from the hot water connection to outside shower. Reached in got my hand on it and tightened it a bit. End of problem.

Sometimes you can get lucky...was leaking about 2 or 3 feet in front of where it found a way to drip out. Just happened to be sitting a tad nose high so it ran to the back.

P.S. 2017 International 30
Al U. Minium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 11:39 AM   #4
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I guess that until I know, I just don't know. I hadn't looked while the pump was running but in this scenario it was parked, pump off and tank 3/4 full. Now it's empty after sitting awhile. It wasn't a DRIP it was RUNNING at a pretty fast dribble. I've never looked around for a removable floor access panel but I will. On our old Airstream ('85) I did replace the fresh water tank drain valve and that will be the first place I look when I get down below. I even have a spare drain valve should the culprit be there.

So, just sittin tight waiting for the chance to dig in.

ThanX all, Behave and stay healthy

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 02:23 PM   #5
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Roger,

Good luck finding, hope it's an easy fix.

Today I took a look at mine. We had that storm come thru and prep was to fill tank and after filling the tank, drip drip etc.

I did a quick valve R&R and replaced that short piece of hose from tank fitting to valve. Mine uses a 1/2" ID hose it's a vinyl looking with reinforcement weaving (?) but it fits a bit loose on tank barb fitting. Or is it a PEX fitting they used for a barbed fitting? TDB maybe tomorrow. And when I replaced my valve I drilled a screwdriver access hole thru the front edge of pan for the valve clamp. Phillips screwdriver in this case fits clamp nicely and easier access thru hole.

But new hose, freshly tightened clamps and SFSG.

Don't forget using your phone to snap pics in tight places is a good tool.

Gary
S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 03:24 PM   #6

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
In addition to the side mounted twist drain, my 91 has a plug in the bottom behind a small panel. My leak was fixed with some Teflon pipe thread tape around that ( loose) plug.

Good luck!
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 05:50 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Sherwood , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarlyse View Post
Well. Since we got kicked out of Key West a few weeks ago and had to come home early an issue has developed. I have not yet had the opportunity to dig into it but hope to soon. We keep our trailer parked at our sons house when we're home and when I parked it, upon returning home from Fla, I noticed water dripping from somewhere near the fresh water tank drain but NOT from the drain. We had just spent 3 months mostly dry camping in Key West so we have recently spent extended time using our fresh water supply without any problems.

So, when my son manages to get his truck back together so I can move my trailer off the road and into its usual parking spot I think I need to drop the tank cover and get a good look see. My question is : What should I anticipate in the job of dropping the pan ????? My trailer is a 2001 Excella 30' Classic.

Stay healthy all,
Last year we started losing water from the fresh tank where it would get down to 20% after a week. Since we always have full hookups I wasnt in a hurry to find the source, but now is a good time as I am running out of things to do. I pulled the inspection cover under the drain fittings and after pulling the styrofoam I found the piece of aluminum trim (see photo) wedged between the tank pan side and tank directly under the pump pickup connection. The point of aluminum finally wore through the tank and created a 1/8 hole.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but does anyone have a suggestion for the best glue or epoxy to use for a fix? What about using a pan head stainless steel sheet metal screw with a rubber washer?
Thanks,
Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	587BDAC0-3FEB-4184-B2B8-6514C00B5CD4.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	412.3 KB
ID:	368506  
Old 05-23-2020, 07:29 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Sheet metal screw with rubber washer is a good idea because if it doesn't work you can remove easily and try something else.

I think it should work, but no experience trying it.

JB weld (epoxy) would probably work if it is clean and dry. I have used that on an aluminum intake on my track car without any problems and you have much higher heat and probably more vibration going on.

But I would try the screw with washer first as it quick and easy. Assuming the hole is where you can get to.

Nice job RV industry cleaning up your construction debris...
Old 05-23-2020, 07:47 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Sherwood , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al U. Minium View Post
Sheet metal screw with rubber washer is a good idea because if it doesn't work you can remove easily and try something else.

I think it should work, but no experience trying it.

JB weld (epoxy) would probably work if it is clean and dry. I have used that on an aluminum intake on my track car without any problems and you have much higher heat and probably more vibration going on.

But I would try the screw with washer first as it quick and easy. Assuming the hole is where you can get to.

Nice job RV industry cleaning up your construction debris...

Thanks for the reply and confirmation of the SS screw approach. The only concern is that there is not enough material for good thread purchase, but you have a good point, if the SS screw doesn't work I'm no worse off. The hole is directly under the pump pickup tubing boss and the tank appears to be thicker there. Yes, as luck would have it, it is easily accessed.
Old 05-23-2020, 07:07 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Won't need much material for a sheet metal screw. That's why we call them sheet metal screws and not Thick Metal screws.

Good luck.
Old 05-25-2020, 05:42 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
Logansport , Indiana
I found I had several small screw FW tank from where someone (a PO) had put conduit attached to the shield and drilled into the tank. The solution I used (after removing the tank) was to heat up the end of a small Flat blade screwdriver and melt the tank where the each hole was sealing the holes shut. Have not had a leak at any one of the 6 or 7 holes I did that to. And that was 2 years ago. The biggest pain was getting the 45 gal tank out then back in by myself.
SlvrTwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 06:44 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Amazing Goop. It's amazing.
https://www.amazon.com/Amazing-GOOP-150011-Plumbing-Adhesive/dp/B0016L0NTU/ref=sr_1_14?dchild=1&keywords=amazing+goop&qid=159 0455501&sr=8-14

It's never failed me in a wide variety of applications (except for styrofoam which it melts). It is thick enough to usually stay in place, but will run on the vertical when the tube is fresh or you apply too much at a time. On the horizontal it will self-level a bit while curing. You can wet your finger to "move" into place without sticking to you skin.

What I like best about it is, if you apply it between two items you press together and some excess squezes out, you can just wait a few minutes for it so begin to set and can roll the excess off. Usually with very little trace.

rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote