Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2018, 07:06 AM   #21
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by majorairhead View Post
Our freshwater tank fill accepts the hose right in to it, no problem. It doesn't go in far, but far enough. I just stick the hose in there, turn on the water, and fill her up. I monitor the situation and when it gets close to full I can hear it, then pull the hose.

There is an overflow vent on our unit too, but I usually pull the hose first before water comes out there.
Hi

Yup, that's the way ours works as well. The advantage of leaving the hose "whole" is that you can screw one end to the other when it's in storage. That does nothing to keep the outside clean. It does keep critters from making a home inside the hose.

There's also a basic advantage to having things a bit loose. If the tank fills fast it will blow the hose out of the fitting. You get water all over the ground. You don't get it spurting out of various openings in the trailer. I have data on this

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 07:58 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Missouri Valley , Iowa
I use an 8" piece of clear vinyl hose (or garden hose) with the appropriate hose repair end from Home Depot, Tractor Supply, etc. This allows you to put it in the fill hole easily. This short hose is also easy to disinfect. I also have brass shut-offs at the male end of each potable water hose. This allows you to flush them easily and also to shut off the water quickly when the FW tank is full.

Dan
Farmer Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 09:09 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I'm not exactly germ adverse, I don't believe in hand sanitizer, and have eaten many a sandwich while working outdoors.
But I've never drank* (drunk? drunken?) water from the tank!
A case of bottled water is easy to keep in the closet, and I use it for coffee and cooking and the dog bowl.

*Google says it's drunk. Past participle.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 03:41 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2017 19' International
Tallahassee , Florida
Wally’s didn’t have a filler thing, so I ordered one from A-zon.

Arrives tomorrow, amazingly.

Thanks for all the disinfectant info.

Tank looks fine, but I’ll be running some chlorine through there before we use it, just to be safe.
WhereStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 02:25 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lebanon , Tennessee
Just a final thought: I put a port hole in my water tank large enough to accommodate my hand and arm so I can physically clean the inside of my fresh water tank.

FRESH water tank only. I am not quite THAT compulsive...

We drink bottled water mostly...but I just read that a study detected more contaminates in bottle water than in tap water...”natural spring water” that is.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 05:45 AM   #26
1 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Annapolis , Maryland
How do I add water without a hose? (total novice)

Sorry... I may have missed this in the thread. But, if I carry water with me for boon docking, how do I add the water to the fresh water tank without a hose? It doesn't seem like you can open the valve completely and just funnel water in.... I see a filter there. Am I missing something? I also ran into this problem for sanitizing the system, as I couldn't figure out how to pour the chlorine solution in!
ChappysGoing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 09:56 PM   #27
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
We carry water in jerry cans. Or, if they're empty, we fill them when staying in a "primitive" campground that has water taps here and there for the CG, just not individual hook-ups. These get pretty heavy when full, so multiple smaller containers are better than one big one. Pour the water from the jerry can into the opening for your fresh water tank. If the jerry can has a long spout attachment, you don't need a big funnel, but if it doesn't, a funnel comes in very handy.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 07:25 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
When I am going to boondock, I use a drill pump and portable drill to transfer water from 6 gallon jugs to the water tank...works well.
Old 07-23-2018, 10:44 AM   #29
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lebanon , Tennessee
Canoe/kayak hand held bildge pump works well also.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote