Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-30-2021, 08:00 PM   #1

2000 23' Safari
Virgin , Utah
How do I access these leaky water lines?

Hi ya'll - I'm currently living in a 2000 23ft Safari. A new leak has sprung up affecting my flooring. I've identified the water lines most likely causing the leak, but I'm not sure how to best access them. Pics attached. Since I'm living in the unit, I don't want to rip up the floor if I don't have to. Can I access from below? The water is ultimately draining out of this bin on the belly.

What's the least destructive way to get in there? Thx in advance for your help!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20211130_212834825.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	354.7 KB
ID:	408632   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20211130_212801499.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	239.8 KB
ID:	408633  

Name:	PXL_20211130_212053057.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	276.2 KB
ID:	408634  
shanrhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 05:06 AM   #2
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
If there is any way that you can pin down, yup it's this pipe that's in your favor.

Without hands on examination this is only a couple of ideas. If the culprit is confirmed look and see if you can find the other end of that exact pipe. Maybe it goes to galley of lav but if you can find both ends that's interesting. Next does the pipe move like yup it's not anchored to something.

I'd open any access areas up that offers elbow room. Pick a good spot and cut the pipe at both ends. Figure out which way or how to pull that section out. Before removing the old pipe attach a chaser line to the opposite end you're pulling out. Like a length of paracord or such. As the old line is pulled out the cord will take the route of the pipe. Use the cord to pull the new section of PEX back in place. Possibly the easiest way to connect the pipes back together is using the Sharkbite fittings, a bit pricey but installs w/o tools.

Just take this as a long distance armchair comment that really needs more hands on examination and seeing the plumbing layout.

Your cell phone camera and video may be your new tool to see what is not easily seen right now.

I'd do a lot of Plan B and C inspecting before I'd throw my hands up and say yup, lets drop the pan. And leaks can be really sneaky so finding the X marks the spot here is the leak must be job #1.

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 03:32 PM   #3

2000 23' Safari
Virgin , Utah
@GCinSC2,

Thank you SO much for your reply! I wouldn't have thought of replacing the line the way you described.

I found the other end of the lines and I think there's enough space to pull out on that end.

I'm pretty positive its the fresh water line since the leaking stops when I turn off the city water connection and starts up again when it's back on. Plus, according to the diagrams I have, those are the only lines that run under the floor in this location. (Pic attached) There are 2 fresh water lines running across the floor though for cold and hot. Haven't used any hot water today (and water heater is turned off) and the leak is very evident, so I'll try replacing just the cold water line first and see if that resolves it. That one also feels more loose than the hot one.

If you know of any threads that go into detail on a fix like this or on using the Sharkbite fittings, pls pass them my way. This is the first time I'll be doing piping, so I can use all the help I can get.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PXL_20211202_020132418.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	237.5 KB
ID:	408705  
Old 12-02-2021, 04:03 PM   #4
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Shanrhall

Any chance this unit was not or incorrectly winterized at one time?

Sharkbite fittings are common home center and hardware store items and fairly DIY friendly even if you’ve never used one. Tomorrow am I’ll look but your job 1 and 2 is your best efforts at yup it’s this pipe for sure.

You tackle and fix it that’s a major gold star for your yup I did that list.

Gary
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
Old 12-02-2021, 05:26 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
One additional thought: The hot and cold water lines are pressurized equally, even when you are not running hot water and have the water heater off.

Good luck with the repair.
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 07:17 AM   #6
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Shanrhall,

There are several ways to make connections on PEX pipe. If you look at your original fittings they likely have a crimped ring or clamped ring. These are really good if yiu are building something and have good access but for repairs a fitting that does not need the access of a crimping or clamping tool can really help. So making a recommendation without seeing the rest of the story regarding access etc. is only a suggestion.

If you select Sharkbite fittings one of the big requirments is a clean cut on the pipe that the fitting will slide on. Possibly a pipe cutter that looks like a pliers (sorta) might be best choice. Next the pipe must be fully inserted into the fitting, see mfgr specs.

This is a basic how to use Sharkbite fittings from the mfgr.

Gary

Old 12-04-2021, 08:53 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
Previous post mentioned gaining access.

To add to that, you can remove the microwave or oven, for example, to gain access. Also remove cabinet backings such as under a fridge.

A boroscope might help. Mine uses the iPhone as its display. Can’t tell you how many times it’s been handy in home or AS repairs.

Get yourself a PEX crimp or clamp tool and an assortment of connectors. Not expensive on Amazon. I used one a few days ago to simplify the plumbing around a new pump while also quietening it with flex hose.
Fungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 06:45 PM   #8

2000 23' Safari
Virgin , Utah
@SSquared - Thank you for this info! My inaccurate assumption would have cost me lots of time and money.

@Fungus - Thanks for suggesting a boroscope. I got one and it has been immensely helpful in inspecting the lines.

@GCinSC2 - Thank you for hammering the point home around identifying the leak with as much certainty as possible.

I was prodding around with the boroscope everywhere I suspected the leak to be with no luck. Then when I wasn't even looking, I heard a dripping from under the bathroom sink. There was a leak just under the faucet where the PEX pipe begins. I tightened the adapter and (at least for now) the leak is gone and my floor has dried up. I still don't really understand how the leak manifested where it did in the floor, but I'm glad I was able to fix it without tearing up my floor or lowering the belly pan.

Thank you all for your experience and knowledge!