Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-29-2012, 04:58 PM   #1
RAG
3 Rivet Member

2004 30' Land Yacht Gas 30
Canadensis , Pennsylvania
Help with a Fresh Water Plumbing Problem…

2004 Land Yacht 30 MoHo

When dry camping, if I turn on the water pump, water from the fresh water tank is forcefully blown out the exterior city water hose input connection, therefore, the system never pressurizes and the pump continues to run; strange, but true. I’d estimate, 25% of the water pressure from the pump is available to the faucets and 75% exits the motorhome through the city water connection. This is great if your purpose is to water the campground , but undesirable if a shower is the intention.

When hooked-up to city water, all is well; no problems.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated…….
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0383.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	186.5 KB
ID:	157056   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0382.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	204.7 KB
ID:	157057  

Name:	DSCN0386.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	157060  
RAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 05:14 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
You either have a bad check valve or you have the city water valve open. Follow the city water line from where it enters the MH. The may be a valve that has a handle on it much like the one you connect the garden hose at home. It should not be far from where it comes into the MH. In a pinch, just cap the city water connection off.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:28 PM   #3
RAG
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
You either have a bad check valve or you have the city water valve open. Follow the city water line from where it enters the MH. The may be a valve that has a handle on it much like the one you connect the garden hose at home. It should not be far from where it comes into the MH. In a pinch, just cap the city water connection off.
Don't think there's a City Water Shut Off Valve anywhere and I don't see a check valve. Here's a close-up photo with some labels. Does this help?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CloseUp.JPG
Views:	119
Size:	298.2 KB
ID:	157084  
Old 04-29-2012, 06:54 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Looks like something was missed in the plumbing. I don't see a check valve or manual shut off. It may be built into the regulator. It looks like a manual shut off could be installed relatively easy.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:20 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
1961 22' Spaceliner
Springville , Utah
I agree with TG, there is no check valve seen in this pic. I wonder if the only check valve in your system is right where you connect to city water. I just bought a new city water female connector, and it has a little steel ball inside of it that act as a check valve. If that is the only check valve in your system, is it possible that yours has seized itself in the open position? Have you been connected to a water source that was dirty, or even just hard water? Maybe see if you can dislodge that little steel ball ( if you have one), or like TG says it would be easy to install a check valve (or manual).
Ben
Utah
Globestream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:32 PM   #6
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
Even if you add a check valve, your city water pressure valve isn't working properly. I'd replace it.
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:34 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Another thought is if the city water pressure is high. It could jam the check valve open.
Also if the pump is not creating enough pressure/ flow to free the jammed check.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:46 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I'm not sure the pressure regulator is bad. I think I read that all is well on city water.
But I'm not sure pressure regulators are designed for water to flow in the reverse direction.
I would install a manual valve down stream from the pressure regulator. No guessing, when it's closed it's closed.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:47 PM   #9
RAG
3 Rivet Member

Do pressure regulators work both ways or only coming in from city water connections?
Attached Images

Old 04-29-2012, 09:51 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
One way, for city water. The pump has a pressure switch, usually around 40 psi which prevents excess pressure from the pump. A pressure regulator on the pump side is not necessary.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:55 PM   #11
RAG
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
One way, for city water. The pump has a pressure switch, usually around 40 psi which prevents excess pressure from the pump. A pressure regulator on the pump side is not necessary.
The factory set on the pump is supposedly 65psi, but can the pressure from the pump back feed water through the in-line regulator?
Old 04-29-2012, 09:55 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Try this, connect the hose to the MH. Disconnect it from the source. Fold it over like you would to prevent the water from coming out. Then start the pump to see what happens.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:00 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
If there is not a check valve or manual valve between the pump and the regulator, the water will flow to the regulator when the pump is on. That's why it's running out the connection for the city water. If there is one at the hose connection, it is not working if water is coming out where you hook the hose up.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:05 PM   #14
RAG
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
If there is not a check valve or manual valve between the pump and the regulator, the water will flow to the regulator when the pump is on. That's why it's running out the connection for the city water. If there is one at the hose connection, it is not working if water is coming out where you hook the hose up.
Makes sense. Well, tomorrow morning will tell.....

Thanks TG!
Old 04-29-2012, 10:26 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
Fresno , Texas
I had that problem and finally found the check valve in one end of the pressure regulator. It was just a spring loaded circular disk on a stem inserted in the pressure regulator adapter for the tubing. Mine looked a lot like yours in construction and it was actually seated inside the regulator valve body.
I was able to clean it and with a little time was able to get it back into place.

Wes
Wsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:28 AM   #16
RAG
3 Rivet Member

This is a GREAT morning!

As it turned out, there was a very small piece of what was most likely a screen washer that was caught back inside the check valve at the City Water connection. After removing it, all worked as it should; system pressurized, pump shut off, no water being shot out the hose input and NO LEAKS.

You folks are great, Thank You!