Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-07-2003, 02:18 PM   #1
Ready to go campin?

1992 33' Land Yacht
Evans , West Virginia
Unhappy HELP fresh water tank leaking

help! i have a 31 ' 79 landyacht middle bath. My fresh water tank has a hole somewhere ,how hard is it to change or repair the tank , and if i can repair it what is the best stuff to use thanks Kenny
Old 04-08-2003, 10:56 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Currently Looking...
huntsville , Alabama
the tank is probably repairable depending on where the hole is . i repaired the tank on my 78 excella and it didnt hold for very long it was leaking out a seam on top of the tank. it was a plastic weld process. what happened is the weld held but a new spot opened up further down the seam. it is a bear getting the tank out but it can be accomplished with a little work.
i could get to the hoses and senser plugs from inside my closet . the tank sit in a pan above the axels. and had a zillion self taping bolts holdin the pan up. i let the tounge jack all the way down and took all but a couple of the bolts out of the rear of the pan and then raised the jack up as far as i could and took the bolts out of the front and then the two bolts in the rear edge of the pan . the pan will drop down on top of the axels.
i think i had to put a 8 inch concrete block under the jack to get the unit high enough to get the tank out from onder the unit.
some of the other guys have repaired these tanks so hang on they will relate their efforts and what they did to repair. lol
al
wb13798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 11:10 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Currently Looking...
huntsville , Alabama
note.. make sure you empty the tank as water is heavy and the tank and the pan are a bit flimsy. the plastis is not that thick and the pan is sheet metal . also be sure to put the styro foam back in the pan lol
al
wb13798 is offline   Reply With Quote