Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-31-2011, 06:45 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
silverton , Oregon
Help!!! Fresh water tank/ black tank

So our first tirp is this weekend and we will be boondocking.
When we purchased the AS the sellers had everything hooked up and the fresh water tank had some water in it. We were able to check turn on sinks ect to see that the water worked. They had a blue grey water tank hook up outside near the back of the AS. I have no idea how it was hooked up or to what. It's my understanding that there is NO gray water tank in a 64 tradewind. I thought the blue portable tank was it....does that mean the sinks have their own lines and drain into it? If so...where is the valve and how do I hook up that blue tank.

I finally figured out how to put water into the fresh water tank and very quickly over filled it and had water shooting out the front of the AS and then found small leak at the point of where the over flow tubes hook on the top of the tank. Looks like an easy fix...but water is slowly coming out.
I don't want to drain that much water out and then have to drain the black water tank before our trip.
If any one reading this is in Oregon and is close to Silverton...I would love to bake you a batch of cookies while you show my husband what to do.

We don't even know how to turn on the refridgetor or stove. That's how pathitic we are.

I'm feeling a little helpless
Meredith
meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 07:00 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Oh, Boy.

Boondocking for your first camping trip...
First, the fridge should have a knob (if it's original) with "GAS" and "ELEC" printed on it. Turn it to "ELEC" to turn on the electric element. Turn it to "GAS" for LP. The LP tank needs to be turned on for that to work. On the back of the fridge is a valve to hold for the pilot to light, you'll need to hold the valve up to start the gas flow. I'm assuming the little flint wheel doesn't work (they seldom do). Hold the valve up for at least a minute after ther pilot lights, then release it.
The grey and black water should be easier (just messier). Hook the blue tote to the spot the black tank dumps into with the sewer slinky, using the fittings that should be on the hose. Make sure the black tank dump valve is closed. That will be the only valve, and should be in the rear compartment.
I'll stop here so you can find what I posted about.
You'll also need to know about hot water, water pump, vent fans, lights, not using much water or battery power, but I don't want to overwhelm you.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:46 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
silverton , Oregon
Thanks Terry,
I got the grey water done and found the black tank valve!
We got the batteries charged and the gas to the stove lit. We were able to get the refridgerator going with gas but not electic. We have the book and read it. I guess it just might take a while to get cold. I'll check it in the morning.
Feeling much better now.
Thanks for the help
Meredith
Old 08-31-2011, 11:07 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Meredith,

Your trailer needs to be level for the refrigerator to work properly and it will take several hours, best overnight, to get cool. You will damage the unit if it is run for off level.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by meredith View Post
Thanks Terry,
I got the grey water done and found the black tank valve!
We got the batteries charged and the gas to the stove lit. We were able to get the refridgerator going with gas but not electic. We have the book and read it. I guess it just might take a while to get cold. I'll check it in the morning.
Feeling much better now.
Thanks for the help
Meredith
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 05:09 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Lots to learn, all part of the adventure, take your time and enjoy the AS journey. jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 07:37 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
West Linn , Oregon
Hi, Meridith, congratulations on your new trailer! It sounds like you've gotten the answers to your questions already; the Airforums community is so wonderful! Your refrigerator should be cold this morning, if you've had it running on propane overnight. Good luck on your maiden voyage! We're only about an hour away from you, so if you still want some help we'll be home next weekend.
Something you might consider in the future is sanitizing your fresh water tank. There are several threads on this site that explain the process, and it should also be covered in your manual. Don't worry about it too much, though - we had our trailer for 3 years (and used the water often) before we realized we could/should actually sanitize it! Water from city sources is usually chlorinated, so that can help keep the tank clean.
I hope you have a great trip! If you'd like to share some boondocking locations, we'd love to hear them. We've camped in a few different places on Mt. Hood, but haven't really found many others. Happy Camping!

Sharon
sharbours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 11:51 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
silverton , Oregon
Thanks Sharon,
We called the prior owners and asked a bunch of questions and he talked about sanitizing the water. So we did. We added stuff to the water and then drained the tank and filled it again ( but not overfilled like the day before !!! LOL) The water company loved us last night.
I put water in the ice tray's last night and this morning....I have ICE!!!! So I think we are on the right track.
thanks for the advice. I hope to be able to meet all of you other locals soon, I need to get my dues paid and join the Oregon Club.
We are hoping to go to Fisherman's bend in a few weeks (maybe about 6). I'm hoping the fall colors will be happening and to enjoy some crisp fall weather.
Meredith