Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-13-2016, 02:24 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB International
1975 Argosy 30
Santa Barbara , California
Fresh water tank w/out straps???

The fresh water tank on our 2011 23FB started leaking as we pulled into a remote spot in death valley about 50mi from the nearest water source. Awesome timing!

Now that we're back home I unmounted the tank and was surprised that it just sits in the sheet metal pan without straps! Is this normal or did airstream forget the straps on our trailer?

The leak is at the bulkhead fittings for the drain and the pump suction. The fittings break right off. I gather a combination of bottoming out and torque applied by a moving tank. The tank has 1/2" of play front-to-back and I'm sure also some sideways.

Morale: shitty airstream engineering & construction. What's new under the sun...

BTW, the tank came out pretty easily. The two tricky pieces are that the propane line is riveted to the flange of the pan and that the pan needs to be worked sideways to clear the flange of the axle support beam.

Now I get to wait 'til tuesday to figure out how to get a new tank... Can anyone confirm that there's not supposed to be any support straps?
tvoneicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 04:14 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1998 30' Excella 1000
Livingston , Texas
Don't know about the freshwater tank, but both my gray and black tanks had no straps. Just hung by drains/vents when I dropped the pan. Would have been a real problem if the dump valve had broken in the closed position and a tank was still filled. With that weight, something would probably have snapped. They should have strapped them, in my opinion. Mine are strapped now.
Siegmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 08:05 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 30
Step 1 of the repair seems completed: I welded the fittings that were half broken off back on using plastic from an old rubbermaid food storage container. It's the only LDPE I could find at home (the tank appears to be LLDPE) and no-one in town seems to carry plastic welding rods, sigh. Welds seem good, I need to test them some more tomorrow. The heat came from an electronics hot air rework station, which I could dial in to 280 degrees. Works amazingly well!

Now time to curse Airstream again...
Old 02-15-2016, 07:06 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 30
I tested the welds by filling the tank about half way and standing it on its end, that puts more than double the water column above the welds. The welds also feel good when yanking at the fittings by hand.

Then the tank went back under the AS. It's not all that bad but still takes time. I changed the drain valves so they're all inside the box instead of below so nothing has a chance to get yanked off by a rock.

Overall it took the better part of 2 days to find the problem, figure out a solution, unmount, weld, test, and remount. I'm sure someone who has done it before can do it in a day, but that's what it took me.

Oh well, at least now I know more about how the fresh water tank is mounted and I learned to weld LDPE :-).
Old 02-16-2016, 12:07 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
I believe the tanks are set into the pan and cushioned by Styrofoam sheeting all round. I have never seen straps on my AS's.
JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 07:05 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1967 20' Globetrotter
Englewood , Colorado
Overall build quality of the new Airstreams is suffering from demand realities. they can't make enough of them and are cutting corners.
Old 02-16-2016, 07:48 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by enived2 View Post
Overall build quality of the new Airstreams is suffering from demand realities. they can't make enough of them and are cutting corners.
That; and questionable design features that are not in line with Industry Standards, leave me to question whether or not I made the right decision to go with a larger Airstream. It is now in winter storage at the dealers'
Time will tell, this year when I pick it up from storage this Spring, on how it will perform in 'the field'..
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 05:36 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Woodstock , Georgia
Same issue on my 2014 23d ,threaded bung for pump broke due to over tightened at factory. Lot of them have had this issue for years but no one seems to address this. I choose to repair, proper insulate and reinstall myself ( even though it's under warranty)because to many I've talked to say they reinstall them same way only to have happen again. I know I am better and have seen many of you that are more careful than a dealer. It was about a day to do the job and used information I read here.
All my repairs in two years have been due to sloppy workmanship. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1459467293.375586.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	259727Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1459467306.415173.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	259728

The Streaming Gantt's
Keith Gantt is offline   Reply With Quote