Old 09-12-2018, 09:49 AM   #41
International Grey Nomad

1999 35' Cutter Bus Diesel Pusher
Bulahdelah , NSW Australia
Yet another brand new water heater with a faulty board. Just discussed this issue here a couple if weeks ago didn't we. When will it end?

We have used our water tanks for our drinking water- filled from all sorts if local supplies in over 30 countries with no health problems attributable to the water.
Trip map at Spotwalla
Tony Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 09:54 AM   #42
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Howell , Michigan
standing time for cleaning fresh water tank

we start our season out with a 1/2 cup of bleach then let it sit 3 hours,run it out through the system and fill the fresh tank again then run it through the water system and finally top off and were ready.
LakeState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 10:42 AM   #43
4 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
Charlotte , Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by slgriffith View Post
Wow, thanks for the quick replies! And thanks for reassuring me that it will be OK. I'm glad I haven't ruined my trailer yet!
Not yet haha! I keep trying to ruin mine but it's sturdier that you think! (so far...)

Kim
Charlotte, VT
2010 F-150, 5.4l, V8, 3.55; Bramble: 2018 Bambi Sport 16
farafield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 03:38 PM   #44
3 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB Classic
Austin , Texas
It wonít be near as bad as you are picturing. Growing a garden in your tank wonít happen as itís dark in there and green things need sunlight. A little bleach will clean it all out.
Bbelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 05:27 PM   #45
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
For those of you might have hard water sources- to prevent the buildup of calcium and other trace minerals use vinegar. Add 1/4 to 1/2 cup of vinegar per 15 gallons of water and let the mixture stand in the pipes, hot water tank, and the water tank for 24 hours. The vinegar will resolve the deposits and you can then thoroughly flush your system. I do this every couple of years and the fine screens on the taps stay functional without blockage. It will also break down the deposits collecting on the anode in the hot water tank.

Sir Tristan
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 08:35 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Jacksonville , Florida
Sludge.........I have seen sludge in plumbing lines. It comes in two types basically. A. Dirt and pipe debris and B. Bio Mass. ...... Type A is a water pipe thing in buildings. Typical of large diameter pipe. Not a trailer thing. ....the bio mas is growth. ..algae or other yuck...it will show up in the strainers but I've always been able to taste or smell it. It comes from outside contamination. Keep the water used, replaced often, not stagnet and it will take care of itself. Drain before storage. Keep dirt out of the vents.

I've had it in SOBs and boats. A sanitize, flush and fill usually takes care of it.
Overstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 10:03 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2007 27' Safari FB SE
NW Oregon in a nice spot , Oregon
I do drink from my water tank....so maybe I am already dead and a zombie?.... I use a bit of bleach in the tank when I fill it, and use a double water filter on the campground water into the the trailer when connected. The amount of stuff caught by the water sediment filter is noticeable, and adding the 5 micron carbon filter after the sediment filter I feel comfortable I have covered my bases. Maybe I am not right, but it is right for me.
bweybright is offline   Reply With Quote