Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-10-2006, 05:37 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Fresh Water Tank Repair

The fresh water tank in our '67 Safari has a very small hole about the size of a pin head. Unfortunately, it is on the bottom of the tank. Any suggestions as to how to plug this? The previous owner smeared a bunch of fiberglass all over it, but that failed. Is there an epoxy I can use? Thanks.
Keyholeren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 06:07 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I have had limited success with a soldering iron and an empty plastic milk jug. The caveat is that I was repairing a black water tank. It is made of the same material, so my plastic welding method should work on yours too. When you are done, there are stick-on patches that will help reinforce your repair, available at Camping World, and other RV supply stores.
Old 08-10-2006, 08:33 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
If you are nervous about making a larger hole through the welding process, a common occurence unfortunately, you could also take the tank to an RV repair shop where they have the right equipment and experience welding polyethelene. If you do decide to do this on your own I strongly encourage you to practice on something else first and more than once. I was in the RV tank manufacturing business for many years and I know how easy and at the same time hard it is to do the welding. If done right you get a very strong repair. Some folks come by it naturally, but we sold a LOT of replacement tanks to the many who turned out making a much larger hole than what they started with.
Barry
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 08:35 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
I love the West System Epoxy, it has worked well for me in conjuction with epoxy glass. Just because I am familar with it that is what I would use. Stainless steel sheetmetal screw and epoxy would work too.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 05:10 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Thanks to all who have offered suggestions. I rarely even use the fresh water tank. Perhaps even once or twice a year. I would even consider getting a new one if I could match the dimensions. Thanks again.

Terry
Old 08-11-2006, 05:55 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
Riverside , California
Tank repair

Epoxy will not adhere to polyethylene or polypropelyene, if it's just a small hole, either weld it as mentioned or put a wellnut in the hole.

ZoomZoom
ZoomZoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 06:16 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

I also thought about taking it to a place that sprays on bedliners and having them coat the entire thing. Anyone have any thoughts on that?

Terry
Old 08-11-2006, 08:14 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
Mancos , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to AirstreamGypsy
Tank

It seems as though we are all assuming this fresh water tank is metal? or is it poly or is it fiberglass. You have not said.

I am going to assume it is either stainless steel or the big heavy galvanized steel.

see this post
Replacing Galvanized Steel Tank - '61 Bambi

I just used JB Weld. workded like a charm. 6 years and counting.
My Earthship
AirstreamGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 08:27 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

It is plastic. I would be happy to replace it if I could. It's an odd size though. 12X12X48. Thanks.
Old 08-11-2006, 09:29 AM   #10
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
If the hole is indeed 'pin hole' size, then a stainless sheet metal screw and a good gob of Sikaflex should do the trick. Be sure to rough up the surrounding area with a 100 grit sand paper.

If you want a totally permanent repair, then it should be plastic welded wth a welding stick of the same type plastic. There are 2 types of plastic welding systems: one uses a heated element with special tips and compressed air and the other uses a flat tip on a heated pencil that resembles a soldering iron.

Either way takes a little practice to get it right, and for the investment required, I would call around to your local RY repair shops to see if any of them provide this service. I have both systems, and it's usually an access issue that determines which one I use.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 10:12 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Thanks Lew. I have called around to the local RV shops and you would have thought I was asking them to repair the space shuttle! Apparently no one around here has that skill set! Maybe I need to learn.

Terry
Old 08-11-2006, 10:13 AM   #12
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
They don't have your size listed, but I'm considering one of these for my trailer.

http://www.valterra.com/RV/fresh_wat...accessorie.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyholeren
It is plastic. I would be happy to replace it if I could. It's an odd size though. 12X12X48. Thanks.
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 10:47 AM   #13
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Most RV repair places don't want to fool with somethng that they are not making a pile of money on, hence their response. This is one reason why most of us have learned to do things like this ourselves.
Old 08-11-2006, 11:13 AM   #14
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
All-Rite.com can make you a plastic fresh water tank to your exact dimensions for around $200. They will even put in the needed inflow and outflow ports exactly as you specify and where you specify. I had one made by them in 2002 and haven't had any issues. I paid $205 for it back then. You will need to go through an RV service shop though.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 11:14 AM   #15
Frank S

1973 27' Overlander
peoria , Illinois
Hi Keyholeren--lewster has the fix I would use, with the sheet metal screw, however I would add a washer to allow more surface area for the Sikaflex to stick to. Roughing up the tank surface around the hole, and keeping it clean and dry is very important if you want a good stick.--Frank S
Frank S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 06:34 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Excella 500
Edmond , Oklahoma
I have a freshwater tank with cracks in it. After a considerable amount of research I decided that the best thing for me was to send it to Inca Plastics which is the original manufacture of the tank. They gave me an estimate of 40 dollars to repair and check the tank. To date I have $35 in shipping which includes the return trip and 10 dollars in cardboard to build a custom box to ship it in. If all goes as planned I'll have less than a hundred bucks in a factory reman tank.

Dan
Dano57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 07:07 PM   #17
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyholeren
Thanks Lew. I have called around to the local RV shops and you would have thought I was asking them to repair the space shuttle! Apparently no one around here has that skill set! Maybe I need to learn.

Terry
Terry,

If you want to experiment yourself, Harbor Freight has a plastic welder (air operated) that is an EXACT copy of a $600 model made and sold in the US. IIRC, they get about $40 for it, complete with air regulator. It might be worth it just to have one around. I think the welding rods are $4.95 for a pack of assorted types.

The operation is not hard to do, but you should definitely practice a bit joining some scrap pieces of PVC or ABS pipe before you hit the big time!!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 05:44 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Thanks Lew.

We do have a Harbor Freight here. I might have to check that out today. The worst that can happen is it doesn't work.

Terry
Old 08-13-2006, 02:08 PM   #19
Frank S

1973 27' Overlander
peoria , Illinois
Hi Keyholeren--The Sept 2006 issue of "Trailer Life" has an article on page 94, "The Tank Amendments"--Restoring your leaky holding tanks to tip-top shape. It details repair methods with photos, and lists sources for materials.--Frank S
Frank S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 04:37 PM   #20
Remember Burma Shave!

2006 19' Safari
2000 25' Safari
1985 25' Sovereign
Fort Myers , SW.Florida
Exclamation Buy a new tank ...

Don't screw around with it, if you value your time.

When I get to my other computer (and remember) I will post or PM you with a vendor that will ship your size for about $80.00.

Email me a reminder.
NORM #3305

"... there is nothing you can't fix yourself ...
... if you're handy ...
... with a check book! ..."
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote