Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2014, 05:16 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1962 22' Safari
Corpus Christi , Texas
Fresh water tank removal

New to this so bear with me. We have just acquired a 63 safari. We have it gutted down to the floor, which is next. The thing standing in our way is the fresh water tank. I have the pump, not planning n using it again. The tank holds water for sure. As soon as I disconnected the lines it started draining, no clue how long that water was in there. Problem is the inlet that runs out of the trailer into the tank won't turn. On the outside it has a 90 degree which is stopping me from just pulling it in. Any ideas/ tricks. Been thinking about just cutting it off, problem is then it's still in the tank. It's holding up getting the shell off, so any ideas are really appreciated.
RevandDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 05:27 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevandDoc View Post
New to this so bear with me. We have just acquired a 63 safari. We have it gutted down to the floor, which is next. The thing standing in our way is the fresh water tank. I have the pump, not planning n using it again. The tank holds water for sure. As soon as I disconnected the lines it started draining, no clue how long that water was in there. Problem is the inlet that runs out of the trailer into the tank won't turn. On the outside it has a 90 degree which is stopping me from just pulling it in. Any ideas/ tricks. Been thinking about just cutting it off, problem is then it's still in the tank. It's holding up getting the shell off, so any ideas are really appreciated.
Some pictures would help maybe.
Old 07-12-2014, 07:21 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
My 66 is a plastic tank with a water pump. I think the 62s have a steel tank that uses air pressure to deliver the water. Maybe the water inlet pipe is welded to the tank. Mine just uses a flex hose with hose clamps, but there is no pressure in the tank.

Hang tight for a few days. Some vintage Airstreamer will answer your question soon. And yes, a picture would be very helpful.

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 09:29 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1962 22' Safari
Corpus Christi , Texas
I'll try and get some pics tomorrow. This is a metal (steel) tank. I just have to get it out of thee to get all the flooring and shell off. I can cut through the 90 but that doesn't leave me much to work with to get out of the tank.
RevandDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 10:37 PM   #5
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Those tanks are typically rotted at the bottom, usually replaced with a plastic tank ...m
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 07:15 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1960 22' Safari
Johnson City , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevandDoc View Post

Did you succeed in removing the tank? I aim to remove mine tomorrow.
teilhet is offline   Reply With Quote