Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2023, 12:35 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
There are many water tests that can cost in excess of a thousand dollars. If you want an edge have your ‘Well’ water tested for ‘Total Coliforms’ and ‘Ecoli’ at the beginning of the camping season, about $30. Most county health departments can guide you with this. If your source is from a municipality, they do testing.
Silvr_Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2023, 03:16 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvr_Bullet View Post
There are many water tests that can cost in excess of a thousand dollars. If you want an edge have your ‘Well’ water tested for ‘Total Coliforms’ and ‘Ecoli’ at the beginning of the camping season, about $30. Most county health departments can guide you with this. If your source is from a municipality, they do testing.
Also, some universities (no clue how many) perform these tests for free. Or used to. When my parents had a personal water system, they sent samples to university of Illinois every year.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2023, 03:17 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Same experience as Richard above…. our water at home is from an un-treated acquifer-well. We drink it, cook with it, fill our fresh tank with it, carry extra gallon bottles of it with us for coffee…because we HATE chlorine smell, taste, and what it does to your gut (and septic systems.)

34 years on that well and never a problem … undetectable taste and clarity from bottled water.

I store the Fresh Water tank with a pint of bleach in it…then drain-and-flush the tank before traveling with another “fresh” fill of our well-water. While on the road, if we refill the tank we ONLY use municipal water and do not drink it…. we drink and make our coffee with our bottled water….or with purchased bottled water.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2023, 04:56 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2021 25' Flying Cloud
Fredericktown , Ohio
Just Us

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisH View Post
Thanks all,

I have the drinking water all figured out.

I'm wondering how to keep the tank healthy without cycling through the water.

I guess the question is

"how long can we store a full tank, 38 gallons, of water for?"

Thanks,

Trav
I have been adding the same chlorine that we use in our hot tub. Works great and keeps the bugs out of the water tank.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Leisure-T...Pack/749145939

Hope this helps.
WBCCI #6826
We have Year-Round Courtesy Parking.
MMCMRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2023, 06:35 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
After preparing my on board water tank and distribution system, we wash with it, wash dishes, toilet ( showering we use campground facilities ). We carry bottled water for cooking, drinking, dental care, coffee & tea. I usually bring 6 gallons and then buy locally from then on. We can and do boon-dock for several days to two weeks, but in areas where shopping is available. If after a week of trailer non use I empty the tank and refill with water from my home. I sanitize at least twice during our personal camping season about about 7 months. Can’t answer your question other than what I do, I am sure you’ll read about many ways people handle this. We don’t do remote out of the way camping.
Silvr_Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2023, 06:46 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
1987 29' Sovereign
1978 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFP View Post
If a person is going to shower with water from the fresh water tank, that person may as well drink it too. Showering produces aerosols (think mist, steam, drioplets, etc.) which can very effectively carry bacteria, etc. into lungs, eyes, and mucous membranes.
To clarify…If you read my original post I said that we keep our fw tank clean and sanitize it with bleach. Therefore we don’t feel like it isn’t safe for a shower, hand washing or doing dishes. We simply choose not to cook with or drink from that tank because we carry separate drinking water for just that option. Doing it this way allows us to have more water for both showering, etc and drinking/cooking which allows us to stay out that much longer too.

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
369goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2023, 06:51 AM   #27
RFP
Rivet Master

2014 23' International
Hurst , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 369goose View Post
To clarify…If you read my original post I said that we keep our fw tank clean and sanitize it with bleach. Therefore we don’t feel like it isn’t safe for a shower, hand washing or doing dishes. We simply choose not to cook with or drink from that tank because we carry separate drinking water for just that option. Doing it this way allows us to have more water for both showering, etc and drinking/cooking which allows us to stay out that much longer too.
Perfect! I apologize if I came across as critical, that was certainly not my intent. It's just that I run across so many who have no idea of the risks from showering with poorly maintained fresh water systems. Again, please forgive my ineptness (!)

Fortune Cookie: https://www.flickr.com/photos/rfpd30...57663633667345

"The Black Swan": https://www.flickr.com/photos/rfpd30...57648991024725
RFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2023, 07:23 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
1987 29' Sovereign
1978 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFP View Post
Perfect! I apologize if I came across as critical, that was certainly not my intent. It's just that I run across so many who have no idea of the risks from showering with poorly maintained fresh water systems. Again, please forgive my ineptness (!)
Absolutely no worries at all. I feel the majority of us are on here to learn something new, be helpful to someone else or to glean food for thought sans any criticism. Hopefully those who might stop by for other reasons will not stay. Happy Camping!

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
369goose is offline   Reply With Quote