Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2018, 09:09 PM   #1

1967 26' Overlander
Heath , Texas
Cool Fresh Water Tank Low Pressure Problems-Won't allow on demand water heater to turn on

Hi all. A while back I put a fresh water tank pump and system together on my 1967 Overlander. I also put in an on demand water heater.

Everything works great when we are hooked to shore power and water.

Everything works great when we are boon docking until we get down to about a 1/4 tank. Then the on demand heater sputters and then turns off.

It took me a while to figure this out. I thought it was a problem with the heater. Then I trouble shot the gas system and the electrical system and finally my wife says, "Hey I can't take a shower once the fresh water gets below 1/4!" Bingo!

The tank is about 22 gallons and I still have what I think is about 5-6 gallons left in the tank at the 1/4 mark. (When you are boon docking and your wife is trying to take a shower she'd like to be able to use those 6 gallons.) I am using the standard Shurflow pump that everyone seems to reference.

Water will still come out of the tap with a good amount of flow right up until the tank is on registers empty so I think the tank level indicators are pretty accurate despite the fact that I stuck them on the outside of the tank myself.

I am wondering if an accumulator will help me keep the pressure high enough to keep the water pressure/flow high enough to keep the on demand going? Can i adjust the pressure setting on the pump higher?
Does anyone have experience with the same issue?
dieselsnack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 06:36 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
There is only one feed inside the tank for drawing water, which then goes directly to the pump. No difference for shower vs. sink. Tank level is not a relevant factor IMO.

Guessing that using the shower with the valve/valves wide open [do you have separate hot and cold faucets in the shower?] is asking for more water flow than the pump can keep up with, thus the pressure drops. Try showering with lower water flow if possible, or put a flow-restricter in the shower head.

An accumulator will not solve the problem, just delay its onset IMO.

Most pumps have an adjustment screw which will let you change the "on" and "off" water pressures. [link below] If you can get the pump to turn on more quickly, it may have a better chance of staying ahead of the shower water flow IMO. Need cooperation from the bio-mass in the shower also . . .

Good luck, especially with the DH aspect!

Peter

PS -- Domestic Harmony!

PS2 -- If you click on the orange arrow in the following quote, you will go directly to that 2015 post in the 20-footer thread with details, photos and a YouTube video about adjusting the pump's pressure points. Not sure if this applies to your pump of course! FWIW
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
On our 2014 FC20, the pressure switch is on the right end of the pump . . .
. . .
PS3 -- You could try to replicate this on city water, by closing down the hose bib, to get a low water flow when showering. Chances are good that you can. On city water you will have plenty of time to experiment, especially if your grey valve is open and the shower waste water is going down the drain.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 10:02 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselsnack View Post
. . .
I am wondering if an accumulator will help me keep the pressure high enough to keep the water pressure/flow high enough to keep the on demand going? Can i adjust the pressure setting on the pump higher?
Does anyone have experience with the same issue?
PS -- I meant to quote you before. Good luck!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote