Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-09-2015, 03:50 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
fairfax station , va
Fresh water tank fill hose

I did a search and couldn't find this discussed.

Much is made for newbies like me to get a proper fill hose, which i have.
Vinyl garden hoses are verboten.

I haven't seen whether people are using the new "pocket hoses", most of which have latex inner liners.

Any opinions or experiences?

Thanks
VAtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 04:37 PM   #2
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I wouldn't make too much out of filling your fresh H2O tank using a garden hose. Many of us grew up drinking from any old garden hose. Just be careful and keep it away from the black tank & contents. I have a soft hose that rolls up onto a nice plastic carrying case. I do have an "approved" white hose and use it when attaching my AS at campgrounds. I use the roll up hose for washing and filling my tank and have used it a few times if I need extra length. It is very compact and convenient to use.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 05:44 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
There's all kinds of nasty stuff in hoses. Occasionally, I think it would be OK but I bought the approved white hose for filling at home or connecting at the campground. I don't want to take a chance on getting something that's going to give us any problems down the road.

Here's some info from an article I found:
Harmful Chemicals: Is Your Garden Hose Toxic? | TIME.com
Hose fittings contain brass, an alloy that can contain up to 8% lead. One in three hoses tested had levels of lead that exceeded drinking water standards — one as high as 18 times the level. It turns out that hoses aren’t covered by the same lead laws that govern plumbing fixtures — even though those hoses are watering our food. Lead is also used as a stabilizer or pigment in the tube, especially in yellow and green hoses, which are practically ubiquitous. Lead is a potent neurotoxin that especially affects children. Newer hoses, purchased since 2007, when a lawsuit led by California required labeling on hoses, might be lead-free, although Consumer Reports testing in 2011 still found lead in new hoses.

But no one has regulated BPA, an endocrine disruptor, out of garden hoses, although the FDA did recently ban it from sippy cups and baby bottles. The level of BPA in water from hoses can be up to 20 times higher than what the National Science Foundation considers safe. Then there are the endocrine disruptors. PVC (nicknamed “poison plastic”) hoses — most vinyl hoses — contain phthalates, used as plasticizers, which leach into hose water. Pthalates are endocrine disrupters, and some studies link them to liver cancer. Even some hoses made from recycled materials contained flame retardants and heavy metals, cadmium and antimony, leading the researchers to wonder if manufacturers had recycled flame retardant-treated plastics.

2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 11:16 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I find it amazing that most of us over the age of 50 have survived all of these years. Living in homes that were painted inside and out with lead based paint. Asbestos in the floor and ceiling tile and the brake linings on our cars. Drinking from garden hoses and the tin cup at the well.
I'll be 70 next month. Figure that the minute amount of lead in the brass fitting on a hose won't be the reason for my demise.

Sent from my iPod touch using Airstream Forums
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 01:13 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Does it even matter? Who drinks out of a faucet anymore anyway?

#JustSayin'

1/2 Ton 4WD Truck, 72 Sovereign Hensley Arrow

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 03:13 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
I find it amazing that most of us over the age of 50 have survived all of these years. Living in homes that were painted inside and out with lead based paint. Asbestos in the floor and ceiling tile and the brake linings on our cars. Drinking from garden hoses and the tin cup at the well.
I'll be 70 next month. Figure that the minute amount of lead in the brass fitting on a hose won't be the reason for my demise.

Sent from my iPod touch using Airstream Forums
Not to mention the soldered pipe fittings in our homes. Sal
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 05:36 AM   #7
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
I will fill my tank with a green hose if necessary (white not long enough) but I will not leave the hose hooked up to the city supply baking in the sun all day. Figure that's a reasonable compromise.
Old 04-10-2015, 12:41 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
LaVale , Maryland
I agree TG Twinkie, the little one today aren't allowed to get dirty like we did and they seem to suffer more allergies in consequence.
Old 04-10-2015, 01:14 PM   #9
Zil
4 Rivet Member

Curtis Wright
Currently Looking...
Eyren Haven , South Jersey
the contamination is caused by letting water sit in the hose or pipes or fittings. The solution is allow the water to run until the stagnated water is cleared. This is just good practice recommended by water professional.
Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 02:07 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
pickering , Ontario
fresh water hose

Stick to what is tried and true; I am a retired Public Health Inspector; when we were on the road in our 31'AS we used the white hose because they are designed to handle potable water; other hoses would introduce chemical emmisions; odour, taste; and worse bacteria that may be present and multiply when laying in the hot sun;I would always pour a few drops of bleach( sodium hypochlorite) or pool chlorine into the drinking water tank for added safety if you don't trust the water supply; you can check the strength by using a pool test kit that registers less than 0.5ppm; a capful in 20 gallons of fresh water would give added protection from some serious enteric bacteria;salmonella is only a funny word till you get it; salmonella typhi stands for typhoid fever; I could go on with bugs that are present in contaminated drinking water, but better to be safe than sorry; some smaller trailer parks have very poor or very little water treatment systems; always ask if they have had the water tested recently; they should be more than accomodating to show their water system has a great track record;
paulwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 02:52 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I would bet beasties grow just as well in white hoses as green.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 03:20 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
None of the hoses come with anti-microbial additives. Many campgrounds use well water, that is not chlorinated. Hopefully, they have their wells tested once a year to make sure they are safe. If you doubt it, chlorinate the water yourself with a little bleach. Green vinyl garden hoses are stabilized with non-fda stabilizers not qualified for drinking water. Leaving water in these hoses for a long time will extract some of the stabilizer, The white hoses do not cost that much more to avoid the potential problem and people looking at you strangely at the campgrounds. The small amount of lead in the fittings is not the major cause of problems in the hoses. They really do not have a very large metal surface area to be extracted.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote