Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-22-2020, 05:36 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Lewisville , Texas
Fresh Water Tank Fill

Smart people learn from everything and everyone, average people from their experiences, stupid people already have all the answers.” – Socrates

I'm tired of being average...

We are headed out in a few days on a short trip. I decided to fill the fresh water tank a couple days early since the weather was nice. I always start by plugging in to the city water connection and pressurizing the lines and filling the hot water tank.

After I did that, I unscrewed the hose and stuck it in the fresh water tank fill hole. A few seconds later, I was walking around the back I heard lots of water hitting the pavement. After returning to the scene of the crime I see lots of water coming out of the belly pan below the fresh water fill. I pulled out the hose and got on my hands and knees to see the water pouring out. It was just coming out of the cracks and joints. First thing I think is there must be a BIG leak in the fresh water tank.

After rethinking I went in the trailer (2018 25 FB) and opened up the little door below the wardrobe where the water pump lives. That area was very wet. Time to call the wife over. "Honey, Stick the hose in the fresh water fill for 5 seconds so I can see if it's dripping." STOP STOP STOP NOW!!! The Fresh water fill inlet had become completely disconnected from the hose (white with a green stripe) that heads aft to the fresh water tank and was gushing into the compartment.

I believe there are about a thousand screws that hold the bottom of the wardrobe in place so I didn't access it that way. There is a vertical panel/board at the back of the wardrobe that shields the Water pressure regulator and it only had two screws. (wish I had taken pictures) After removing that I, being not too fat, could get one arm down to the connection, a simple hose clamp. Got the hose back in place and tightened the clamp down. (It's hot in the wardrobe, BTW)

Filled the fresh water tank with no further issues.

While down there I noticed some of the wood flooring in the water pump compartment was blackish (although still felt solid).

Those of you with a similar trailer, do me a favor and look in that little access door with a light and tell me if the flooring in there is painted black or do I have some mold.

Thanks and here's to learning from other's mistakes and not being average, anymore,
@tflyingsquirrel
mattRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 06:06 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Erie , Pennsylvania
Interesting, you helped me learn something new

2018 FC 27 FB here, I just looked and my floor is black, solid black which on my 27 is just in front of the wheel well. BUT only for about ?8-12 inches? forward as where the shower begins I can see plain ol' plywood. My floor covering goes up to the wheel well and stops there, none under the shower.
I have noticed some small leak I need to track down, I think its at the black tank flush port. I was wondering if I could get to it from the wardrobe. Hope this helps.

I wonder if that black ?paint/sealant? is because of the wheel well area or the water fills? I'm curious now and will have to see what I can see on the curb side where my water heater is mounted. Hmmmm.
Rick & Becky #28279
2018 FC27FBQ
2021 RAM 2500 Hemi 6.4
KD3OBX 146.520
cptdzl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 06:48 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
I have a 2013 25FB Flying Cloud. The vinyl flooring extends a several inches into the area under the closet, then from the edge of the vinyl to the outside wall, bare floor is exposed, and it is black.

BTW, my city water inlet has leaked, and I was not able to track down the leak at first. I eventually removed the back panel at the rear of the closet (the vertical one), which was installed with seven screws (accessed from the back side of the panel) and some glued-in wooden pegs. I Also chopped a big hole in the floor of the closet, and made that piece easily removable for future service needs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	UnderCloset-1.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	155.2 KB
ID:	381533   Click image for larger version

Name:	closet-1.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	381534  

Click image for larger version

Name:	closet-2.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	381535  
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 07:46 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
Matt; I have the same problem, except the fitting where the fill tube (green and white) attaches broke. Due to type of plastic, unable to weld back together.
Because it is an Air$$$; big bucks to replace. Custom made.
This is just an FYI, you may want to check the fitting also. While fixing this; the flush valve to the black tank was also broke.
Mike
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 09:57 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2012 30' International
Livingston , Texas
It's sealant. After removing the front furniture, I pulled the vinyl back to look for damaged floor and the plywood is sealed (black) 8-12" all around the edge. I guess leaks are expected and that is supposed to prevent damage.
glenrms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 10:57 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Lewisville , Texas
Well, I'm glad it isn't mold. Thanks for the replies. Airtandem, I couldn't even find that part! Good luck to you!!! SSquared, I like your modification! Will do the same. Did you use a router to cut?

Thanks again folks,
@tflyingsquirrel
mattRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 09:19 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattRox View Post
Well, I'm glad it isn't mold. Thanks for the replies. Airtandem, I couldn't even find that part! Good luck to you!!! SSquared, I like your modification! Will do the same. Did you use a router to cut?

Thanks again folks,

I used two tools: A small circular saw and a vibrating saw. If you look closely, you'll see that I did not do a neat job. I have never used a router and did not think of that.
Old 10-27-2020, 03:19 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2020 16' Nest
Currently Looking...
Saint Augustine , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSquared View Post
I have a 2013 25FB Flying Cloud. The vinyl flooring extends a several inches into the area under the closet, then from the edge of the vinyl to the outside wall, bare floor is exposed, and it is black.

BTW, my city water inlet has leaked, and I was not able to track down the leak at first. I eventually removed the back panel at the rear of the closet (the vertical one), which was installed with seven screws (accessed from the back side of the panel) and some glued-in wooden pegs. I Also chopped a big hole in the floor of the closet, and made that piece easily removable for future service needs.

I had to replace our water pump and also found that the fresh water hose also leaked. I ended up taking a hacksaw blade and cutting the Dow plugs and screws. I was then able to preform the the repairs. I put some 1” boards to screw the back and shelf and the vertical back. I also installed another shelf above it as there was some wasted space.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3912.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	431.2 KB
ID:	382040Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3909.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	253.1 KB
ID:	382042Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3911.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	395.7 KB
ID:	382043Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3910.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	309.8 KB
ID:	382044
Coaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 10:31 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Coaster,

You are a genius. You have given yourself great access to that space under your closet. I never even thought about making my closet floor removable.