Old 02-13-2020, 09:55 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Toronto , Ontario
Fresh water tank emptying too fast

We would so appreciate insights from those of you who are far more experienced and understand the big picture layout of the land.

We're in a 1975 rebuilt 31 foot Land Yacht. Original tanks. We have a mystery with the fresh water tank emptying far too fast. Filled it completely yesterday. Based on our approximate time to fill (28-30 minutes) we estimate about a 50 gallon tank. That's a lot of water. Fill was completed early afternoon. To stimulate what we would do while boondocking, we used only the water from the fresh tank for prepping dinner, washing hands, etc. We are cautious with our water use - not running it ongoing but only sporadically. No showers. Only a few toilets flushes. By this morning, the tank was empty. We absolutely did not use 50 gallons of water in one afternoon. We have noticed quick emptying over the last few weeks but yesterday was a clear test. There are no leaks that we can see under the trailer.
As a separate (but possibly related) issue, our grey tank is filling up extraordinarily fast. We have to keep it open all the time if we don't want water in the shower pan and oozing up the floor. This could be related, however the first time this happened (first night we were clear of freezing and therefore turned on the water), we were hooked up to shore water and it flooded within an hour, after only a little bit of hand washing, and dinner prep. We have been doing endless tests to try to isolate the problem as we're yearning to dry camp and boondock. We can't however until we figure out how to maintain our fresh water and not fill the grey so fast.

Any words of widsom??

TzNan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 10:02 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
1967 26' Overlander
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Clear Lake Shores , Texas
Do the tanks share a common vent? Any chance water is draining from one tank to the other via the vent?

BambiTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 01:24 PM   #3
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
When your fresh water tank ran out of water, did you open the drain to see if there was any left in the tank? We had a 75 that always had about 8 gallons in the tank that could not be pumped out. My theory was that the output line in the tank was damaged. Since the tank was 45 gallons and 37 or so was available, I did not pursue the issue.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 02:08 PM   #4
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
FWIW

I found that when I jacked up the street side while winterizing. The drain was open and continued for a good 2hrs.
Bad design.🥴
Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_1e2b.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	267.0 KB
ID:	361058  

"Instead of going to ’Starbucks…I make my own Coffee at home, yell out my name rong, then light a five dollar bill on fire"
Amanamus

Tahawus....🌥
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 02:42 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by TzNan View Post
Any words of widsom??

The fresh water plumbing and tank are not connected directly to either the gray or black waste water systems.
If you are not using the water, there must be a leak in a fixture that is letting water pass through it.

ps:
Some 1975 models had a Mandaville (?spelling?) Dish Washer. It was not a real automatic dish washer. It was a hose that attached to a soap reservoir then to a wand, which was an attachment used while soaping or rinsing dishes. If you have/had one of those, look under the kitchen sink to see if there is a water line that is not connected as it should be.
Old 02-13-2020, 09:04 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Warn View Post
The fresh water plumbing and tank are not connected directly to either the gray or black waste water systems.
If you are not using the water, there must be a leak in a fixture that is letting water pass through it.

ps:
Some 1975 models had a Mandaville (?spelling?) Dish Washer. It was not a real automatic dish washer. It was a hose that attached to a soap reservoir then to a wand, which was an attachment used while soaping or rinsing dishes. If you have/had one of those, look under the kitchen sink to see if there is a water line that is not connected as it should be.
Hi Alan - thanks for your thoughts. We had a complete rebuild of the trailer down to the frame so we don't have one of those hoses and no water line seems to be out of place or disconnected. It is our thought as well however that the fresh water has to be going somewhere. Is it possible that it is sitting somewhere in the belly? (BTW - The tanks are one of the few original parts). Our builder is also perplexed.
Old 02-13-2020, 09:07 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
FWIW

I found that when I jacked up the street side while winterizing. The drain was open and continued for a good 2hrs.
Bad design.🥴
Bob
🇺🇸
Bob - does this mean that water was sitting in the belly somewhere?
Old 02-13-2020, 09:08 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
When your fresh water tank ran out of water, did you open the drain to see if there was any left in the tank? We had a 75 that always had about 8 gallons in the tank that could not be pumped out. My theory was that the output line in the tank was damaged. Since the tank was 45 gallons and 37 or so was available, I did not pursue the issue.
Thanks for the mention of this Richard. Yes we did check the drain - there was nothing substantial left in the tank.
Old 02-13-2020, 09:11 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by BambiTex View Post
Do the tanks share a common vent? Any chance water is draining from one tank to the other via the vent?
Hey BT - this is a good question and an unknown right now. We'll talk to our builder to see what the layout of the venting is or we'll try to trace it ourselves. Still there is the issue of where did all the extra fresh water go? The grey tank can't hold it all and wasn't overflowing when we woke up in the morning and 50 gallons were gone. Remains a mystery??
Old 02-13-2020, 10:14 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
Do you leave the water pump switch "on" all the time, or switch on when needed and then off when finished using water? Can you hear the pump running? It the grey tank filled up that quickly while on city water, I suspect that there is a plumbing problem, or you have a massive leak in one of your taps or shower that is dumping water into the grey tank. If this is a "rebuilt" rig, it is quite possible that the plumbing has been incorrectly replaced. Only option is to follow every line to see where it goes. Start by looking below the sinks and see if there are any strange looking lines going into the drains. Is the trailer centre bath or rear bath?
ACI #7394
2012 GMC 2500 HD Duramax Denali
1976 31' Gone but fondly remembered
CBWELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 04:06 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Recheck the volume of the tank
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 06:16 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdonahoe View Post
Recheck the volume of the tank
I don't think the tank could hold anything near 50 gallons. Fill it and empty into a bucket to see what is in there.
1950 Spartan
1966 Globetrotter
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 06:43 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Liberty , North Carolina
We have a 1970 Overlander with the 50 gallon fresh water tank.
Try this, empty the grey tank. Fill the fresh water tank, turn on the pump and pressurize the system . Stop, do not turn on any water at all. Wait, if the pump starts cycling you probably have a leak. If the grey tank fills, and the fresh tank empties you definately have a leak.
Suspect the vent system as well on the grey tank.
B Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 07:31 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
You should be able to go 5 days to a week with the water use you describe. I can not imagine a belly pan that would hold water and not drip. One place that water could go is through the check valve and out the inlet hose. But it looks like you would notice that. My logic says that you are pumping water through a fixture and into the gray tank. I do not see how tank vents would affect this problem at all. Either a leaky fixture you have not found or a mis plumb by the builder? Do you have a tankless WH? Or any special equipment that might have a line directly to the gray tank that does not go through a visible faucet?
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 07:44 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Providence , Rhode Island
Stop guessing on the input side and buy this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
kittmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 09:23 AM   #16
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

If you dumped 40 or so gallons of water, it didn't just vanish. It very much went somewhere and left traces of where it went. If it leaked, it's dripping out of the trailer somewhere. It's not just sitting in limbo.

Gray tank volume is just as "suspect" as any other tank. Use a hose and flow meter (like the Amazon one above ...) or a bucket to see how much it holds.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 09:39 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1976 31' Excella 500
Chappell Hill , Texas
Fill the fresh tank. Then open the drain and drain 5 gallons at a time until empty to see how much you really have.
tbashin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 11:19 AM   #18
"Space A" S/O Registry 11

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
I have seen black tanks fill because the toilet flush valve seal was leaking. But, no grey tanks mysteriously filling. There must be a faucet leaking into a drain to the grey tank. Did the '75s have a grey tank?
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 12:12 PM   #19
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
75s had grey tanks, but th hey were very small. My TradeWind had 12 gallons.

The fresh water tank had vents on the top to allow air to escape when filling. There were two. One on each side of the cross member that ran across the tank.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 12:15 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
You should be able to go 5 days to a week with the water use you describe. I can not imagine a belly pan that would hold water and not drip. One place that water could go is through the check valve and out the inlet hose. But it looks like you would notice that. My logic says that you are pumping water through a fixture and into the gray tank. I do not see how tank vents would affect this problem at all. Either a leaky fixture you have not found or a mis plumb by the builder? Do you have a tankless WH? Or any special equipment that might have a line directly to the gray tank that does not go through a visible faucet?
I concur with this assessment as the most likely. Further supporting this idea is that siphoning can occur in the fresh water system so it is not required to have positive pressure to have it drain into the grey if there is a pathway.

Is there an internal tank flush feature on that model? What about a water pipe winterizing drain that flows to the grey tank?