Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-01-2021, 11:33 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2021 22' Caravel
Bozeman , Montana
Fresh Water Tank Empties When on City Water

Hi,

To my surprise I've discovered that when I'm hooked up to city water that if I have water in my fresh water tank then that's what used first. In other words, the fresh water tank empties when hooked up to city water. Is this typical? I would have thought that when hooked up to city water that no water from the fresh water tank would be used. Once the fresh water tank is empty I'm getting city water at the faucets just fine.

Yes, I am running the pump when on city water. I need to do that to get hot water at the galley sink--otherwise I don't have enough pressure.
Brian R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 11:44 AM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
The water pump only pulls water from the fresh water tank. If you hear the pump, your tank is getting emptied. The pump will operate (when turned on) when the pressure in the system is below limit of the pump pressure switch.

You should not have to turn the pump on when connected to city water. Either your city water pressure is low or something is restricting the flow.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 12:15 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian R. View Post
Hi,

To my surprise I've discovered that when I'm hooked up to city water that if I have water in my fresh water tank then that's what used first. In other words, the fresh water tank empties when hooked up to city water. Is this typical? I would have thought that when hooked up to city water that no water from the fresh water tank would be used. Once the fresh water tank is empty I'm getting city water at the faucets just fine.

Yes, I am running the pump when on city water. I need to do that to get hot water at the galley sink--otherwise I don't have enough pressure.
Following up on the last post . . . yes, something is probably amiss with your hot water supply line to the kitchen faucet.
Aerator filter at faucet clogged? Is hot water OK to bath sink, shower, and exterior shower?

If all your faucets/showers have hot water problems, then maybe the mixing/tempering valve at the water heater is clogged with debris, or failing? "Mixing valve debris clogged site:airforums.com" search results may lead the way to a solution IMO:

https://www.google.com/search?q=mixi...=airforums.com

Good luck,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 12:22 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2021 22' Caravel
Bozeman , Montana
This is a brand new trailer, so I wouldn't expect any debris clogging in the system.

Water pressure and hot water are fine at the shower head and bathroom sink. I have an on-demand water heater--no hot water tank. Without the pump on there is inadequate water flow at the galley sink to activate the hot water heater. When the pump is on it's fine, even when the fresh water tank is empty.
Old 06-01-2021, 12:31 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks, I would try messing around with the mixing valve as much as is possible in your model. Is there an "on" and "off" and middle range? Do you also have a separate tempering valve which prevents scalding hot water from reaching a faucet? Not sure about your setup, but suggest messing around with any adjustable valves.

Have you removed the aerator on the kitchen faucet to check for debris in there, per the earlier post?
Old 06-01-2021, 12:43 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
When the pump is on it's fine, even when the fresh water tank is empty.
This sounds a bit strange that it's still fine when tank is empty.
The water pump can only get water to pump from the fresh water tank.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 12:55 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2021 22' Caravel
Bozeman , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Thanks, I would try messing around with the mixing valve as much as is possible in your model.

Does a tankless on-demand water heater even have a mixing valve?
Old 06-01-2021, 01:48 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
. .
Not sure about your setup, but suggest messing around with any adjustable valves.

Have you removed the aerator on the kitchen faucet to check for debris in there, per the earlier post?
Old 06-02-2021, 03:10 PM   #9
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
Tankless water heaters require a minimum water flow through them to light the burner. Measure your faucet's flow by timing the volume of output for a minute to check GPM flow rate. Then, if low check your system for restrictions in the hot water pex from the kitchen feed "T" through to the aerator. I had similar troubles and it was a clogged aerator, but it could be a clogged line or fitting. If that is the case, use at a blue filter (Camco) when on city water and/or filling the fresh water tank. That will prevent the problem. If your heater works at the other faucets, it is OK.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 05:14 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Great advice . . .

Brian, did you have a chance to check the aerator on your kitchen faucet?

Cheers,

Peter
Old 06-03-2021, 08:05 AM   #11

2015 19' Flying Cloud
Lewisburg , Pennsylvania
Valves

Check that all your Valves are wide open. Low point valves should be completely closed.
PatsBambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 04:26 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Does a tankless on-demand water heater even have a mixing valve?
How about that aerator?

Old 01-25-2024, 07:41 PM   #13
Tif
2022 Caravel 20FB

2022 20' Caravel
Palm Beach , Florida
Same exact issue with low pressure in the kitchen

Quote:
This is a brand new trailer, so I wouldn't expect any debris clogging in the system.

Water pressure and hot water are fine at the shower head and bathroom sink. I have an on-demand water heater--no hot water tank. Without the pump on there is inadequate water flow at the galley sink to activate the hot water heater. When the pump is on it's fine, even when the fresh water tank is empty.
It's a mystery for me too with it only having inadequate pressure with my kitchen sink causing the water not to heat with my on call hot water... my resolve is turning on tbe hot water in the kitchen & leaving it on while I turn on tbe hot water in the kitchen because it triggers the heating element to come on & VOILA! I turn tbe water off in tbe bathroom once it's hot in tbe kitchen & also wait for it to be hot in the bathroom before turning it on in tbe kitchen- that way I know it already turned on my on demand water heating element
Tif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 12:48 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
I wonder if your outside shower hot/cold faucets are fully closed?
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 07:04 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Do you have a puddle on the ground? I'd start there.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 07:29 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

2023 27' Flying Cloud
Buford , GA
Welcome to the new world of a Girard Tankless water heater. Do a search on "tankless" and lots of threads pop up.
You need good flow to trip the flow control sensor in the Girard. My observation is this equates to about 40 psi water pressure or better in our 2023 FC27 with a single spigot turned on. Most campgrounds seem to run about 20-30ish psi pressure. Our pump is adjusted to run at its max of 50ish psi. Its an easy adjustment to make yourself. We run with the pump on always so as to get pressure/flow=hot water. The pump will pull water from the tank to "make up" for low flow from the city supply side.
Try adjusting your pump.
JBamadon is offline   Reply With Quote