Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2021, 11:51 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Sheridan , Wyoming
Fresh Water Tank Blindside

Last week while camping, the RV resort advised us that they would be working on the water system for an unknown time and to fill our fresh water tank. While filling it I got distracted for about a minute and over filled the tank. Later while inside the Sport we noticed water on the floor. The tank had bulged so much that a screw to the alum. hold-down strap was pulled from the floor and the tank drain line was leaking. Anyone else have an experience like this? I was dumfounded.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210722_071540.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	141.6 KB
ID:	400180  
Airabel-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 12:49 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
Sebastian , Florida
That is not supposed to happen, because there is an air vent that will send out a geyser of water when there is no more air in the headspace. Usually right next to the hose connection.
Do you notice a gentle hiss when filling?
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 12:57 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Hopefully the tank is okay? The hydraulic pressure is tremendous because the water is coming in faster than the overflow can drain it . Check the tank for leaks. Tighten the overflow hose. Do not stick the hose into the fill opening.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 02:10 PM   #4
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

If you have the fill hose tightly fit into the "fill" opening and have the faucet on the hose wide open and have significant campground pressure ... yup. You can force enough fast moving / high pressure water down the intake to do some damage. That's one reason there is normally not a threaded fitting on the fresh water fill. The hose is supposed to easily push back out of the fill port.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 09:52 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Sheridan , Wyoming
If someone had told me 10 years ago that owning a trailer was a full time job, I probably would have stuck with the tent. But now I'm hooked with loving the travel and constant maintenance and repair. The more I learn about trailer life the more I know I didn't know.
Old 07-23-2021, 11:42 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1996 25' Excella
Tillsonburg , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

If you have the fill hose tightly fit into the "fill" opening and have the faucet on the hose wide open and have significant campground pressure ... yup. You can force enough fast moving / high pressure water down the intake to do some damage. That's one reason there is normally not a threaded fitting on the fresh water fill. The hose is supposed to easily push back out of the fill port.
Bob
Yep
Did that on my 89
Forgot to pull the cork on the breather
Newer fill caps donít have that plug! Still, you donít want to fast fill the tank if you canít stay with it full time
Nearly did it on a 16 ft Bambi a few weeks ago. The breather canít relieve water effectively. It is designed for air
JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 10:50 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Sheridan , Wyoming
I have isolated a water leak in my fresh water tank, to the threaded-joint between the tank outlet and the drain line. See attached photo. Looks like the threads were wrapped in teflon tape. I can watch a single drop of water come out from the joint very slowly. Would it be possible to tighten the plug a little, without removing the entire line, to see if that would stop the leak?
Old 07-29-2021, 10:54 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Sheridan , Wyoming
here's the photo
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Inked20210722_071602-1_LI.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	663.0 KB
ID:	400624  
Old 07-29-2021, 12:32 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2009 34' Panamerica
2005 28' Classic
Still , in the thick of it
A good rule of thumb is to fill the fresh tank slowly. Anytime you fill it faster, more air is pushed and the vent can take it and expanding tank is the end result.
panamerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 12:47 PM   #10
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Airabel2,

The challenge looks like the PEX clamp situation will not allow rotation to tighten the fitting.

If you could free up the PEX lines by removing some of the pipe positioning clamps (not the actual PEX clamps yet) then remove the two PEX clamps that hold that short section of PEX going into the tank. If the clamp is steel and looks like it is do you see that small bump on the clamp? Cut it, and remove it at both ends, now remove the section of PEX. Remove tank adaptor, clean threads and reseal, install and tighten. Then go to hardware or home center and get a short piece of PEX and get Flare It clamps, the black ones for 1/2" PEX.

https://www.flairit.com/pexlock.php

The advantage to this type of fitting is no special tools to set the clamp, only a decent sized Channel Lock type pliers. Optional you can use a Shark Byte fitting but they are more expensive.

These can also be released with a twist of a screwdriver.

Good luck.

Gary
S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 12:54 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airabel-2 View Post
Would it be possible to tighten the plug a little, without removing the entire line, to see if that would stop the leak?
I suggest draining the tank, loosen the clamps on the water line, and see if the plug can be tightened slightly. If the clamps on the water line are not conventional hose clamps, cut one off and replace it with a sturdy hose clamp so that you can seal it up again. If the plug cannot be slightly tightened, remove it, rewrap it with teflon tape, and screw it back into the tank. Before doing so, check that the tank outlet is not cracked. If it has a small crack, I would try using a hose clamp to squeeze it down enough that the teflon tape can seal past the crack.

Tim
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 08:31 AM   #12
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

With PEX and similar fittings, I would very much go with the "official" clamp. There's more than a little voodoo involved in how the various bits and pieces all work together.

The "correct" approach on the tank side is to pull the offending fitting and take a look at it. There may be non-obvious issues (like a crack). Then put a nice new batch of tape on it ( or on a replacement fitting) and tighten it down. Of course if the crack you find is on the tank side, that would need to be addressed.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 08:56 AM   #13
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Folks this might offer some insight these are my pics of a Flair It clamp, PEX fitting and tube. And a pic of Flair It fittings I installed when I replaced my water pump between the strainer and the nut attaching to the pump. The clamp on the pipe is just showing it in place but its not in the clamped condition. You can see the hook in the uninstalled clamp.

The big advantage to this type fitting is for limited access repairs and no special tools required. The Channel Lock type pliers can approach the pipe from nearly any angle. and a screwdriver to open and remove and reuse the clamp.

Gary
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FLAIR IT FITTING.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	162.1 KB
ID:	400673   Click image for larger version

Name:	FLAIR IT INSTALLED.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	508.6 KB
ID:	400674  

S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 10:22 AM   #14
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Hinckley , Arizona
FYI the male adapter will spin in the PEX clamp. Just snug it up a little and check it.

I chose America
Bigventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 06:47 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Sheridan , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigventure View Post
FYI the male adapter will spin in the PEX clamp. Just snug it up a little and check it.
I've been thinking about trying this suggestion but wanted to talk an Airstream tech. first. The water line will in deed rotate on the fittings.
Before I try it myself though, I have an appointment at a dealer in Wentzville, Missouri in September. I'll have them look at it first.
Thanks
Old 08-05-2021, 07:23 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

Chelsea , Maine
Quote:
I've been thinking about trying this suggestion but wanted to talk an Airstream tech. first. The water line will in deed rotate on the fittings.
Before I try it myself though, I have an appointment at a dealer in Wentzville, Missouri in September. I'll have them look at it first.
Thanks
30 seconds with a wrench and youíre done. Or you can drive to the appointment and pay $150 for them to use their wrench.
JMynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 07:22 AM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Hinckley , Arizona
Funny…

Just FYI if the leak increases after tightening, there is a crack. Back it off and use a little silicone on it. You could even back it all the way out, providing you have no water in the tank. There is no real pressure on the joint. Just head pressure from the water in the tank.
Be aware of cross threading. The plastic is easy to cross thread.

I chose America
Bigventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 09:43 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Sheridan , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMynes View Post
30 seconds with a wrench and youíre done. Or you can drive to the appointment and pay $150 for them to use their wrench.
So I took your suggestion and tightening the drain plug while rotating the shut-off valve back in to position ; and it appears to have worked! So far no leak. It was surprising how loose the drain plug initially was.
Thanks for your help.

Now I can shower while up in the Big Horn Mtns. for a week.
Old 08-09-2021, 10:49 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
redondo beach , California
Quote:
Last week while camping, the RV resort advised us that they would be working on the water system for an unknown time and to fill our fresh water tank. While filling it I got distracted for about a minute and over filled the tank. Later while inside the Sport we noticed water on the floor. The tank had bulged so much that a screw to the alum. hold-down strap was pulled from the floor and the tank drain line was leaking. Anyone else have an experience like this? I was dumfounded.

This happened to us twice.

Now I always use one of these things.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Shutoff...32597529&psc=1
Randy and Beth 15 F250, 16 30' International, ProPride, Dexter 3" lift, Michelin 16, Dill TPMS, Centramatics, Battleborn x4, Victron BMV and 1.2KW inverter, Orion DC/DC, BlueSolar MPPT, 300W solar, Alpine iLX, Polk MM1, Samsung smart 42"
mythbuster88 is offline   Reply With Quote