Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-16-2008, 07:46 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Columbus , Indiana
Fresh water level while travelling

We are planning a trip soon (a few hundred miles a day) and intend to use the fresh water tank for flushing the toilet only. (We could still have freezing temps here and I REALLY don't want to de-winterize all the pipes, go south, then make DH re-winterize when we return. Which is better...travelling with a half- full tank to cut down on weight while towing or do we fill it to the top to minimize sloshing and weight shifting while traveling?

Seems like this has been discussed but darned if I can find it. Sorry.
Old 03-16-2008, 08:01 PM   #2
_

. , .
hi mrs'

how are u going to route water to the john but not ALL of the pipes?

and you've gotta send water through the water PUMP to use the john.

which means dewinterizing most of the lines...

IF you really only plan 2 use water for flushing,

carry 1 or 2, 6-7 gallon jugs in in the shower stall or tow vehicle...

and use a small bucket for flushing as needed...

the jug can be refilled in route IF necessary.

just an idea.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 08:04 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
High River , Alberta
If you are not worried about increase in tongue weight, and have a tow vehicle with reasonable power, fill it and don't worry about it. Towing with the tank full will lower the centre and gravity should actually improve towability.

Having said that, we typically travel with about 10 gallons in the tank - enough for stops while on the road. I've never detected the water surging in there. Perhaps 80 to 100 lbs is not enough to matter, or maybe the tank design keeps the water from moving around too quickly. I do know what surging water feels like, having experienced it with a water tanker with a 2000 gallon tank half full.
AlbertF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 08:10 PM   #4
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
If the TV and axles will handle it.. Run Full. Water is life.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 08:11 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Columbus , Indiana
Here's my theory...

We will only flush the toilet. Yes, the water from the tank will go through the pump and associated pipes on the way to the toilet. Then, when we get home we can drain any extra fresh water from the fresh water tank, pour more antifreeze into that tank then run the toilet 'til we see antifreeze. I suppose there may be a chance for some "bleedover" of water into the early sections of pipe heading to other lines than the toilet but how much really? And would it really be enough to dilute the antifreeze to the point of allowing some freezing? My guess is that it would not.
Old 03-16-2008, 08:28 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
I bet you'll have to essentially re winterize if you run the water pump with straight water. I suspect there will be enough diluting in spots of the other lines to have a worry. Those lines will pump up with fresh water, maybe you have a faucet driping, and bang there is a diluted spot. I'd look at 2air's idea to carry water to manually flush.
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 08:29 PM   #7
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
water is life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_RedSHED
Here's my theory...

We will only flush the toilet. Yes, the water from the tank will go through the pump and associated pipes on the way to the toilet. Then, when we get home we can drain any extra fresh water from the fresh water tank, pour more antifreeze into that tank then run the toilet 'til we see antifreeze. I suppose there may be a chance for some "bleedover" of water into the early sections of pipe heading to other lines than the toilet but how much really? And would it really be enough to dilute the antifreeze to the point of allowing some freezing? My guess is that it would not.
You will get water in all your pipes. The air will comress and the antifreeze will dilute. You will have to re-winterize the entire trailer to be safe.

If you get stranded somewhere you can live without food and heat for short periods but water is necessary regularly. This is the reason I travel with the tank full.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 08:33 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_RedSHED
Here's my theory...

If you put "any" water in the tank and run the pump, you MUST completely winterize the system.

If not, and the temperature goes below freezing for more than a couple of hours, extensive damage to the plumbing system will occur.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 08:53 PM   #9
_

. , .
like cats...

i always travel with a full fresh tank.

it's why i have a trailer. water, food, bed and so on...

IF you try to just use the toilet, how are you gonna flush/rinse the lines later?

do you have a bypass kit at the pump?

if so, it only takes 5 minutes to replace the antifreeze in the lines...

and you could leave the water heater shut off and empty...

rewinterize the lines quickly as u leave the southern location and before returning to hoosier country...

or how about a campers porta potty? or a bucket with bag liners?

so many options for poo!

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 11:02 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Columbus , Indiana
Thanks for the advice, all!