Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-11-2012, 11:49 AM   #1
banjobill

2000 30' Limited
battle ground, , Washington
fresh water fill hose/adapter

I am sure you all know what the photo shows. My questions are: 1) how do you store this thing to eliminate a)corruption from attaching itself to a wet hose b) mold from developing 2) my pea brain says the thing ought to slide into the fresh water fill "hatch" and store neatly inside the AS filler tube, ready for the next usage. anybody seen such a fill hatch? speaking of fill hatch, anyone seen one made of stainless steel? 3) why does the fill hatch have such strange threads? why cannot you just attach a garden type hose directly and why doesn't the hatch have a built in shut off?

Is this just over the top convenience? Am I asking for too much? Of course, you all know about the fresh water drain valve...it is a real beauty.
ol' bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fresh water fill hose.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	124.3 KB
ID:	165438  
wmarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 02:00 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
You could put a T inline on each side of the pump to connect with a valve then hook to city water open the valve and fill the tank.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 02:09 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmarsha View Post
I...>snip<..... why cannot you just attach a garden type hose directly...>snip<...
ol' bill
The problem with attaching a hose directly is that if you attach it and walk away ... then get involved in something else and forget you're filling the tank ... you run the risk of overfilling the tank and potentially damaging it...if the water is entering faster than the overfill water can exit through the overflow vent.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 03:47 PM   #4
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmarsha View Post
I am sure you all know what the photo shows. My questions are: 1) how do you store this thing to eliminate a)corruption from attaching itself to a wet hose b) mold from developing…
First hang the hose up to dry. Easy to do; rubber-band it to a wire coathanger. Then, when it's dry, coil it up in a gallon-sized Ziploc bag and seal it.
Old 08-11-2012, 05:42 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
wmarsha,
This is what I use.
Secure-Fill - Snl Products SNL1SF - Faucets & Inlets - Camping World
Old 08-11-2012, 06:19 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
We have one of those, too...note that there are overflow holes in the part the screws onto the fill port to prevent overfilling/over pressuring of the fresh water tank...AND it has a turn-off valve so you don't have to run back to the spigot to stop the flow. Very handy.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 07:30 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazbro View Post
You could put a T inline on each side of the pump to connect with a valve then hook to city water open the valve and fill the tank.
I install this in all of the trailers I have owned. On either side of the water pump you put a T and connect the two T's together with a shut off valve in the middle. To fill the fresh water tank you just connect your water hose to the city street connection, open the valve and also open the outside water fill to let the air out. Stand by the outside fill and listen to the tank filling. When you here that the tank is almost full turn off the water. Close the bypass valve and close the outside water fill and your done. By opening the outside water fill you have provided a path for the water to go if you over fill the tank by getting distracted. That way no damage can happen to your water tank by over filling.
ventport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 12:34 PM   #8
banjobill

2000 30' Limited
battle ground, , Washington
woohoo!

thanks to all, now all I gotta do is find a stainless steel filler hatch. Cool, actually, If I cannot find SS, then I will make one out of aluminum, I think.
be cool
wmarsha is offline   Reply With Quote