Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-18-2018, 05:20 PM   #1
wmb
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Fresh water dripping from front of driver-side wheel well

Today when packing up to leave we noticed a damp patch in front of the wheels on the driver side. I didn't see any drip occur, but there were a few beads of water clearly visible - one on the outside corner of the wheel well, on the inside corner hanging off a screw/bolt, and a third on the short length of PVC tube that I think is the propane supply to the fridge. At first I thought it may be the A/C condensation tube, which exits into the wheel well right at that point, but the tube was bone dry (which makes sense because we haven't run the A/C for months). The wet patch is also directly beneath the black tank flush and city water inlets, though, so I got access to the inlets inside through the bathroom cabinet and noticed nothing was wet or dripping. However, when I poked a piece of kitchen towel into the gap around the bottom of the city water inlet (into the insulation), it came back soaked.

So it looks like water is dripping down from the city inlet inside the wall, between the inner and outer skins.

I've disconnected the city supply and we're living off of refilling the fresh water tank for now, but I'm going to take off the inlet tomorrow and see if there's anything to tighten up.

Is there anything else I can inspect to asses the damage this might have caused? Could water leaking down the inside of the wall have made its way to the sub-floor (I'm not sure how far the plywood extends out)? I haven't noticed any moisture inside the trailer in that area, but I'd need to remove the fridge in order see what's going on under there (not looking forward to that)...
wmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 05:32 PM   #2
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
You should be able to get at the fresh water inlet valve from the interior - typically behind cabinet / etc. you can normally reach it with your hand - and could feel if it is wet / damp when your city water is connected and under pressure.
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 07:17 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
The fridge has a condensation drain that is typically a piece of PEX tubing. If water is coming out of that, it is normal. Propane supply line should be copper.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 07:38 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Edisto Island , South Carolina
I had a similar drip that took two trips to JC and a trip to the dealer to solve. This was over a period of two seasons and the leak was intermittent. Turned out to be caused by a cracked fresh water inlet body that leaked only under certain conditions. Very strange indeed. The second trip to JC for it was successful and the problem was cured by replacing the inlet. They had great difficulty getting it to leak in a bench test. The body had a hairline crack that leaked only when they twisted the body in a certain way.
Edistobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 10:05 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
On my 2013 25FB Flying Cloud, I had the city water inlet fixture leak. I replaced it. Later I found out that sometimes the leak can be stopped by tightening the four screws on the back of the fixture.

At first the leak only happened when there was extra-high water pressure. Later it happened with normal water pressure. And the leak even happened when the city water hose was disconnected, and we were using the pump.

On my trailer, the inlet fixture is behind the bottom of the closet. The water from the leak did reach the floor, but we caught it soon enough there was no damage to the wood. To get better access to the area, I removed the two wooden panels at the back of the closet, and hacked a big hole in the closet floor. I installed a very cool water/leak detector in the area for when the new inlet fixture (or something else) leaks: Honywell RWD41.
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 09:20 AM   #6

2004 28' Safari S/O
Santa Barbara , California
Air Conditioner drain.
Follown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 09:25 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Murfreesboro , Tennessee
If it dripping out of a short black rubber hose it your AC condensation drain.
dnsapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 09:36 AM   #8
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
The fridge has a condensation drain that is typically a piece of PEX tubing. If water is coming out of that, it is normal. Propane supply line should be copper.

Al
I concur.
*Virtual campfire at https://www.facebook.com/groups/Airs...dictsforAdults
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 09:56 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Waxahachie , Texas
As others have said, sounds like the city water inlet. I have the same issue and am about to change the inlet out. Inside access on my FC28 is a little challenging so hopefully enough slack to get it changed from outside. The regulator is attached at this inlet and is what is likely the cause of leak. Good luck.

Chuck
silverlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 10:24 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Orange , California
I had the same problem several months ago. I had a white hose that I used for my fresh water here at home and found it was the water pressure causing the problem. When it started filling the holding tank when not connected to it was a bigger concern.
I put a pressure valve on the hose at the house and even when camping now. The problem went away.
Hope you can find your cause...
Lucy Goosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 10:31 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2010 19' International
Bellevue , Washington
I had this problem when going from sea level to high elevation. Air in the water system expanded and forced water out at the city water inlet connection. Problem went away after opening faucet to let off pressure.
cwm49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 10:34 AM   #12
wmb
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Thanks everyone. I'm 99% sure it's the city water inlet. I poked some more paper towel into the gap below the inlet, into the insulation and it's still coming out wet. Doing the same thing above the inlet it comes out bone dry, so there doesn't appear to be any water getting in from above.

I've tightened the four screws (each took about a quarter turn) and will see if it dries out before replacing it. Looks like those inlets are pretty inexpensive, though.
Old 12-19-2018, 10:46 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

2018 23' International
Gulf Breeze , Florida
Leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmb View Post
Today when packing up to leave we noticed a damp patch in front of the wheels on the driver side. I didn't see any drip occur, but there were a few beads of water clearly visible - one on the outside corner of the wheel well, on the inside corner hanging off a screw/bolt, and a third on the short length of PVC tube that I think is the propane supply to the fridge. At first I thought it may be the A/C condensation tube, which exits into the wheel well right at that point, but the tube was bone dry (which makes sense because we haven't run the A/C for months). The wet patch is also directly beneath the black tank flush and city water inlets, though, so I got access to the inlets inside through the bathroom cabinet and noticed nothing was wet or dripping. However, when I poked a piece of kitchen towel into the gap around the bottom of the city water inlet (into the insulation), it came back soaked.

So it looks like water is dripping down from the city inlet inside the wall, between the inner and outer skins.

I've disconnected the city supply and we're living off of refilling the fresh water tank for now, but I'm going to take off the inlet tomorrow and see if there's anything to tighten up.

Is there anything else I can inspect to asses the damage this might have caused? Could water leaking down the inside of the wall have made its way to the sub-floor (I'm not sure how far the plywood extends out)? I haven't noticed any moisture inside the trailer in that area, but I'd need to remove the fridge in order see what's going on under there (not looking forward to that)...
When I found a leak after delivery and I could not access due to the set up where the refrigerator is in that same location I defaulted to mother station because I had no idea and under warranty, I did not want to void anything. It turned out to be a bad connection at the pump which is also located in that same area. I had another big leak under the shower but that was another problem I found on my first trip out. Seems quality control is not what I expected from Airstream especially at the price these units sell for.
Dawny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 10:48 AM   #14
wmb
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post

Al
Yes, there's a plastic tube that exits out in the lower outside fridge compartment, and I've seen a little puddle there a few times. I figured it was a condensation drain.

The main propane line runs across the width of the trailer and is indeed copper. On mine there's also a length of white PVC pipe that splits off that and disappears up in front of the wheel well. Is that supposed to be copper too?
Old 12-19-2018, 12:30 PM   #15
wmb
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
I'll start another thread for the PVC pipe running off the propane line.
Old 12-19-2018, 05:41 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
I had a recent challenge of the same nature.

The FW connection being cracked or 1/ALL of the 4 screws loose were the obvious fixes. However in the 20' the FW inlet backes up to the bathroom and I have a small alu plate by the toilet (whose main intent is to cover the abs vent) to peek in to see/touch the backs of the FW and BW connections, not to mention a lot of other plumbing. Moisture present. Since I was there I as noted on the link, I used my fingers to tighten the thump tab connectors...which were a lot looser that I expected. I also tightened the ext plate. I pressured up and al was groovy. I tried to pull the exterior plate but with no play would have had to disc the FW connection that I just tightened. Since all was good, I left the FW plate and the 4 screws alone.

The loose thump screw connection was the 1st pass and eventual solution...plus no need to disconnect to pull off the fw plate back to tighten the 4 screws.

Posts 2392 & 2396
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f542...27845-171.html

Now it is a regular check.

bob

p.s. My refer (on the other side of the trailer) drip leads to the edge of the lower door opening and drips down the side of the trailer...if it ever drips Never noticed any moisture there.
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 06:40 PM   #17
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Inside the water inlet itself, accessible by removing those 4 screws, is a rubber O ring, prone to going bad. First check to make sure the water line fitting is tight to the inlet, bouncing down the road can cause it to loosen.

If it has not been dripping and leaking very long, everything will dry out and be fine. John
WBCCI #268 Palmetto State Airstream Club 22
Region 3 Past President....come with us, you will like it.

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Are you kind?..... Uncle John's Band
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 09:29 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
At least you can get to the back of it. Mine is blocked by the shower stall wall. Ditto the electrical port. Have to work from outside on mine...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 09:39 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
BTW, on many trailers you can remove the inlet fixture from the outside. It depends on how much slack there is in the plumbing.
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 10:23 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
North/East , New Jersey
WMB....I had a similar leak from the black tank flush check valve. When you have completed fixing it you may want to take a shop vac and run the hose down that compartment and run it for a few hours to dry out the area. I did that with mine and have not had any problems from the water.