Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-24-2021, 09:26 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
North Lauderdale , Florida
Fresh Water Drain Valve - GONE

I left home with a full tank of fresh water and after 3 hours stopped for fuel and bathroom break. To my dismay, no fresh water. Tank read 0%. No water in the trailer so I figured leak was outside.

I found this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Broken Valve 1.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	222.2 KB
ID:	391540

Name:	Broken Valve2 .jpg
Views:	36
Size:	288.2 KB
ID:	391541

I obviously ran something over and sheered the valve off.

My question, is this a standard valve (NPT size?) and is the replacement straight forward (remove screws, twist off and replace) or do I need to take the whole tank off to access the tank and associated water lines. I just need to know is this a two beer job or a 12 pack.
Lag323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 09:36 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
I had the same crummy plastic valve on my 94 trailer. My trailer had an inspection plate on the bottom of the tank pan just under the valve. The valve connected into a vinyl hose with a worm clamp.
To get the trailer up high enough to work under it I used a pair of Rhino car ramps which are rated for 10k lbs. You will need to source a piece of metal to cover the hole after you create the access hole. Be careful, start small and only cut enough to make the repair.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 09:47 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Get a threaded flange and a separate valve

This link will take you to one option and show you some more.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AIRSTREAM-R...-/182211502860

I got one of the white powder coated aluminum ones years ago and haven't installed it yet. Last year the hose between the tank drain fitting and the OEM valve failed and I lost all my fresh water. I noticed water pouring out of the belly pan access at the drain valve (apparently it had been repaired before). The valve location was not aligned with the tank drain. The hose had an offset of about 3/8" in less than an inch of length and the hose failed where it was crimped.

So getting this fixed has now moved up the priority list.
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 07:08 AM   #4
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
This link will take you to one option and show you some more.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AIRSTREAM-R...-/182211502860

I got one of the white powder coated aluminum ones years ago and haven't installed it yet. Last year the hose between the tank drain fitting and the OEM valve failed and I lost all my fresh water. I noticed water pouring out of the belly pan access at the drain valve (apparently it had been repaired before). The valve location was not aligned with the tank drain. The hose had an offset of about 3/8" in less than an inch of length and the hose failed where it was crimped.

So getting this fixed has now moved up the priority list.
^
X2
Support a DAV, made in the USA.
I used a 1/4" ball valve.

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	740C0EA2-918C-4308-865C-D5D1EB1582A0_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	255.2 KB
ID:	391555  
Old 03-25-2021, 09:49 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2019 30' Flying Cloud
Grass Lake , Michigan
If you open the inspection plate on the bottom, you should be able to see the hose between the tank & valve that is attached with a hose clamp to the valve and to the plastic hose bib that is screwed into the side of the tank.

I removed the whole assembly and replaced it with a 1/4 turn boiler valve, similar to this one:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt...C3EB/205811822

Now I have a sturdier valve that gives better flow to drain the tank faster and has threads for a hose to drain the water where I want it.

It's a tight spot to work in... best of luck getting it fixed.

If you're in a pinch and on the road, you can always do a temporary fix by driving a wooden plug into the hole, carefully. That should hold until you get home & can make a permanent repair.
oldenavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 10:13 AM   #6
Opinionated newb...

2018 25' Flying Cloud
League City , TX
This was so needed, mine recently broke off in my hand as I opened the drain...
Thanks to all the helpful replies and solutions as always..
Best wishes to all

What a man does for pay is of little significance. What he is, as a sensitive instrument responsive to the world's beauty, is everything! H. P. Lovecraft
wave man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 10:29 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Queen Creek , Arizona
Quick Fix

If you don't need to drain the tank often, you can use a rubber expansion plug or rubber well nut. They are still removable, but no valve. Mine broke off on the road, probably debris, and I installed a rubber well nut of the appropriate size. All good.
QC TORPEDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 10:36 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Temple , Texas
I think you will find the barb of the original drain valve inside the tube, after removing the clamps you can use an electric drill to very careful remove the barb, also you will probably have to carefully cut the original drain behind hind the metal plate to start the process. Finally after cutting off the drain if you are careful and do not remove too much plastic from the cover you can re-use the original metal cover, I also used the original clamps to secure my new metal drain faucet, before re-attaching the metal cover I cut a groove in the top so I could take it off if additional work has to be done many years in the future.
You will need some small wrenches to remove and re-attach the clamps.
Save the 12 pack for when you are sharing the experience with your friends later.
RamRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 11:14 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by QC TORPEDO View Post
If you don't need to drain the tank often, you can use a rubber expansion plug or rubber well nut. They are still removable, but no valve. Mine broke off on the road, probably debris, and I installed a rubber well nut of the appropriate size. All good.
A Well Nut, available at Ace Hardware stores and the like are a brilliant idea as a temporary fix. They come in various sizes and will expand about 25% when tightened.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CB6D026F-5A92-4B1C-A1B8-F0D802420B15.jpeg
Views:	36
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	391563  
daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote