Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-28-2003, 11:35 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Fresh H20 mystery fill

Hi all. We went out to the trailer this weekend. I hooked up to park water and flushed the water we had in the pipes out, and proceeded to play with the kids. I knew I still had antifreeze in the fresh water tank which was nearly EMPTY when I winterized, and decided I'd dump the tank just before we left.

However, when I went to empty the tank using the dump valve, it took FOREVER to empty! I'm pretty sure the tank was nearly full! Now how can that be? I thought there was a checkvalve between the pressurized supply water system and the tank. There shouldn't be a tank fill occurring when I'm hooked to the outside water supply, right?

But, thinking back on it, it would be pretty cool if I could fill my tank this way.....I wouldn't have to bother with a hose to the fill port outside.

Any problems if my check valve is NOT working.......do I have a check valve?......Where is it if I need to check it out......HOW would I check it out...
Thanks!
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 03:41 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
There should be a check valve on the inlet side of your demand pump. I have never checked myself but it sounds extremely logical to me. It will hold the pressure created by the pump in the system as well as keep the city water from going back into the tank.

I would like to have the fresh water fill valve and piping on my A/S, maybe the new ones do, I know my last "white box" had it and it was very convenient. Probably not hard to add it to yours or mine.

Chas
Chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 03:48 PM   #3
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
optional fresh water fill

chas and marc

my manual sez it was an option in '92, i don't have it.

perhaps someone who does could post a pic.

sounds like it filled the fresh water tank 3/4 of the way then stopped automaticly.

john
john hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 05:21 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
sounds cool

Automatically stopped?

Pretty slick! Must be some sort of pressure sensing valve or maybe a simple float valve? The one I had on my "white box" just had an overflow pipe, when you saw it running over you stopped filling it!

Chas
Chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 06:00 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
No overfill

As I was typing up the post, it did occur to me that it was strange that if the tank did fill by itself, why it didn't overfill out the fill spout in front. I'll have to look more closely when I get back to the trailer. It was hooked up to water for a good 5 hours or so. Pretty neat option, for a 1975, if it really is hooked up this way. thanks,
Marc
Old 07-02-2007, 09:34 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2007 20' Safari SE
Fairview , North Carolina
We have the same problem with our 2007 20' Safari. The Fresh tank fills when connected to city water. Our dealer states that a faulty AquJet pump allows the back filling. They repalaced the pump, but the condition remains with the new pump installed.
Over time the rising water in the fresh tank will actually run out the overflow.
I do not see any check vales in the system, which would certainly make sense to me! Any ideas on what is causing this or how to correct the problem would be appreciated. Thanks.
schwabsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 09:42 PM   #7
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
The output check valve in the pump has failed. I had this problem with my 06. The pump failed. I was in Missoula. Bretz was no help. Two hour drive to AS of Spokane took my old one and gave me new one. I also got a check valve to put in the line after the pump. This way the pump will never see city pressure. You need a new pump and I recommend installing a check valve in the pump output line.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 09:43 PM   #8
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Check your pump screen. You may have "crud" that is getting into the pump and keep the valves from closing.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 09:50 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Hernando , Mississippi
Schawbters is right. Had the same problem with a 2006 safari.. it would auto fill when attached to 'commercial' water and bleed out the overflow. Never did figure out the problem before i traded it in. Must be in the pump...that is the only common 'valve' between the two systems.
The manual states that if the local pressure is low, you can use the pump and the fresh water on board will augment the local pressure. There has to be a problem with the valve since the two systems are connected.

Fully retired now!
Remember:
Never start anything before noon and always plan on being finished by 5.
I will never HAVE to be anywhere ever again!
ScottW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 10:29 PM   #10
_

. , .
hi schwabsters...

welcome to the forums.

great job finding this zombie thread on your problem...

'bandit had this problem last year too and here is his thread/solution...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f443...h20-21678.html

sematics clouds the issue of what valve is inside the pump but regardless,

you need a replacement.

btw i had this problem last year too with my 2nd water pump...

now on #3...

i suggest turning OFF the shore water and just using the tank/pump until fixed.

constant backflow isn't a good thing.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 12:04 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Wow - a blast from my posting past! Yes, it was a bad PAR (original to the trailer) pump. A new one "deleted" this cool "feature." Luck was the only thing that kept the tank from overfilling!
Marc
Old 07-03-2007, 06:43 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2007 20' Safari SE
Fairview , North Carolina
Thanks to everyone for your quick replies and the welcome--glad to be here.
I guess it's off to the dealer for pump #3, and the additional check valve
certainly makes sense.
John and Anne
schwabsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 07:21 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Excella 500
Coal Center , Pennsylvania
I have a 76' Excella 500. I have never run the water pump, because I am at a camping site with city water. I assume that since the pump is a compressor type that the inlet for fresh water should have a plug to build up pressure. Is this true or not? Also can the pump run from electric instead of or with the battery?
ubuckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 07:28 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Hi ubuckster -- Welcome to the Forums!

The pump pulls from the freshwater tank. It does not pressurize the freshwater tank to do this, so you don't have to block the water hookup. Any fans, the overhead lights, the fridge furnace & HW heater controls, and the water pump all run off 12 volts. Unless it was replaced with something newer, the hum you hear is the univolt converting 120V AC to 12V DC. So the pump does not run off the battery when you are plugged in -- but it still runs on 12 V DC.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote