Old 01-08-2020, 04:54 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Pawleys Island , South Carolina
Filled with questionable fresh water - now what?

FNG here. I picked up my new AI today went ahead and did something questionable so I could start the process of that.. while getting diesel in the RV lane at the Flying J in Brunswick, GA I filled my freshwater tank up with the water that was there from the spigot.

I used my hose.. but as I pulled off thought twice. Called the store and they said the source is city water.. however the city won't allow them to call it potable because it's outside in the same general area as fuel lines.

SO.. here I am dry camping tonight at a Cracker Barrel. 1/3 of my fresh tank was potable.. and the other 2/3's of it is.. "questionable".

In the process of learning a lesson here.. I'm only wanting to use it for showering in the AM. Wouldn't drink it.

What do I do?

justinshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 05:24 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Empty it when you first get a chance, fill half full with potable water, and add a cup or two of bleach.

Drive around a bit, run the bleach water thru all your pipes til everything is in your grey and black tanks, dump.

Sanitize your hose, too.

Refill with fresh water, by the time you’ve run that thru and used it for non drinking purposes you should be good to go.

I doubt that showering with your mixed water will harm you in any way.

Maggie

Old 01-08-2020, 05:39 PM   #3
dropped rivet in grass

2019 23' Flying Cloud
Tarzan , Texas
It's going to happen more than once, filling that fresh water tank from iffy sources.

Using an inline filter on the hose will catch a lot of whatever is in the water source, and if you really gotta drink it, use a Brita filter or similar.

If you didn't use a hose filter, and you're really concerned, empty the tank through normal usage, refill with water trusted source and a small amount of bleach, let it sit a couple hours, then drain and flush, rinse and repeat til the bleach smell is gone. Lesson of the day: Always use both a city water faucet screen (to catch the big stuff, sand, grit, rust) and an inline filter on your hose when filling your freshwater tank.
Tall Grass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 05:39 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Westerly , Rhode Island
You're really only going to get two answers here. People like me that wouldn't sweat it as long as Flying-J said it was city water, and those who would sweat it. It's your RV, your call.
smithcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 06:24 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithcreek View Post
You're really only going to get two answers here. People like me that wouldn't sweat it as long as Flying-J said it was city water, and those who would sweat it. It's your RV, your call.
I agree..if city water..use it...no way for fuel to get into the water...no way for water to get into the fuel....you are fine
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 06:27 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2018 28' International
Fayetteville , Georgia
Have a shower, drink a beer...
brick1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 08:33 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Fairfield , California
Get a Brita filter or something and use the water
Mattirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 09:02 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Drain a gallon of diesel from your TV tank. Get in the shower and dump the diesel over your head. Use all the questionable water to wash off the diesel. You will still live.

I know someone who swears by drinking a tablespoon of turpentine per day.

Me, I'd dump the water and refill with new water and a small amount of Clorox and drive to the next campground stop and dump again. The truck drivers have probably drunk that water for years.
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 09:20 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Grass View Post
Using an inline filter on the hose will catch a lot of whatever is in the water source, and if you really gotta drink it, use a Brita filter or similar.

If you didn't use a hose filter, and you're really concerned, empty the tank through normal usage, refill with water trusted source and a small amount of bleach, let it sit a couple hours, then drain and flush, rinse and repeat til the bleach smell is gone. Lesson of the day: Always use both a city water faucet screen (to catch the big stuff, sand, grit, rust) and an inline filter on your hose when filling your freshwater tank.
^^this^^
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 09:53 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
palm beach gardens , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by brick1 View Post
have a shower, drink a beer...
yea!!
m rafferty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 10:45 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I keep a case of bottled water on hand for drinking, but use the tank for showers, and dishes.
Chances are high the water is fine, it's not "Potable" because it's near a fuel line, so maybe last year the hoses touched. Big deal.

Use it, don't drink it.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 11:40 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1973 21' Globetrotter
1975 26' Argosy 26
Vista , California
Don’t put a cup of bleach in your tank! It will linger for weeks. Relax it’s city water. Not muddy puddle water. Use bottle water �� to drink if you are concerned.
bibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 11:49 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Bleach is a pretty standard means of sanitizing ones fresh water tank and the lines the fresh water uses.

And, of re sanitizing if you fear you’ve gotten some bad water.

Driving a bit with bleach in your tank water allows sloshing around, and the sanitization to reach all inner surfaces of your fresh water tank.

It takes a couple of tanks of fresh water to flush all the bleach out, but is inexpensive, works very well and makes your tank water safe as long as you always fill with potable water.

Some never drink or brush their teeth with the water in their tanks, but most of us do.

Which is why we sanitize our tanks at least once a season.

Maggie
Old 01-09-2020, 11:49 AM   #14
Married with Airstream

2004 25' International CCD
Vancouver Island , British Columbia
How much bleach does it take to purify 50 gallons of water?

According To Google.........

How much bleach does it take to purify 50 gallons of water?
Using bleach to to disinfect water in tanks
Gallons (liters) of water to be disinfected Amount of Household bleach (5%) to add*
50 gal (230 L) 1-3/4 tsp (9 mL)
100 gal (450 L) 3-1/2 tsp (18 mL)
220 gal (1000 L) 8 tsp (40 mL)
500 gal (2200 L) 6 tbsp (90 mL)

Let stand for 30 Min before use

I would do this if in doubt and can't drain the tank and need to use what I have. However, I would (in your case) just use it as is and/or run the drinking water through a brita type filter.
2013 F-150HD FX4 SuperCrew Lariart (MaxTow) "Red Dragon"
drbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 12:59 PM   #15
Toaster Life

2010 23' International
Tucson , Arizona
Water is probably fine, the gas station is just being extra cautious, I would add a little bleach to your tank, and boil the water you plan to drink in the short term. don't worry about the chlorine it will boil off before the water boils. Or take the good advice of a shower and a beer.... I would use boiled water for coffee in the short term, beer for coffee is not good.
Toasterlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 03:12 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2008 19' Bambi
2012 23' Flying Cloud
Bandera , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
Empty it when you first get a chance, fill half full with potable water, and add a cup or two of bleach.

Drive around a bit, run the bleach water thru all your pipes til everything is in your grey and black tanks, dump.

Sanitize your hose, too.

Refill with fresh water, by the time youíve run that thru and used it for non drinking purposes you should be good to go.

Maggie
I probably wouldnít worry about it if it was a city water supply. If youíre concerned enough, follow the above. However, I wouldnít use more than an 1/8 cup of bleach, fill and drain tank twice, then fill a third time for your use. I think this is closer to manual recommendations for sanitizing a fresh water tank.
banderabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 03:43 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Half a tank of fresh water would be 20-30 gallons for most of us.

Not to quibble tooooo seriously, I don’t know that 1/8 cup of bleach (which amounts to a couple of tablespoons) would be enough to sanitize a possibly contaminated tank with that much water in it.

Maybe the possibly questionable water is actually fine, but sounds like the OP is concerned it is not.

If you’re going to sanitize, do it properly.

Why chance it, really. If something began actively growing in your fresh water system, that would be a helluva mess to deal with.

And, if you don’t like messing with liquid bleach, you can buy bleach tablets, which you just drop thru the fresh water intake.

That’s what I do...two in the tank.

Maggie
Old 01-09-2020, 03:56 PM   #18
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Port Dover , ON Canada
Quote:
Half a tank of fresh water would be 20-30 gallons for most of us.

Not to quibble tooooo seriously, I donít know that 1/8 cup of bleach (which amounts to a couple of tablespoons) would be enough to sanitize a possibly contaminated tank with that much water in it.

Maybe the possibly questionable water is actually fine, but sounds like the OP is concerned it is not.

If youíre going to sanitize, do it properly.

Why chance it, really. If something began actively growing in your fresh water system, that would be a helluva mess to deal with.

And, if you donít like messing with liquid bleach, you can buy bleach tablets, which you just drop thru the fresh water intake.

Thatís what I do...two in the tank.

Maggie
See post #14 above:

Old 01-09-2020, 03:58 PM   #19
RFP
Rivet Master

2014 23' International
Hurst , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinshort View Post
< snip > I'm only wanting to use it for showering in the AM. Wouldn't drink it.

What do I do?
Quote:
< snip >

Maggie
Quote:
Originally Posted by brick1 View Post
Have a shower, drink a beer...
Although it seems to be the conventional "wisdom," showering with contaminated water is just as bad as drinking it. When showering, "aerosols" result and put whatever nasties are in the water right into the air you are breathing. Also, the shower water easily carries bacteria to mucus membranes and any "open" wounds or sores. The best practice is if you won't drink the water, don't shower in it either.

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerosol

Fortune Cookie: https://www.flickr.com/photos/rfpd30...57663633667345

"The Black Swan": https://www.flickr.com/photos/rfpd30...57648991024725
RFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 04:28 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure.AS View Post
See post #14 above:

I think we’re talking about different processes, but this is the last I’ll say.

Those of us who use bleach to sanitize our tanks at least at the beginning of every season use a cup or more of liquid bleach.

This is not into water intended for any purpose but flushing thru the system, to sanitize, and then dumping.

This is what I would do if I thought I’d put bad water in my tank.

Maggie