Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-11-2017, 09:17 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Hm. Never considered using the tank filler and the elbow together. Thanks for a great idea...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 11:49 AM   #42
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Hm. Never considered using the tank filler and the elbow together. Thanks for a great idea...
Without the elbow, the filler tends to want to fall out of the inlet. The elbow eliminates that since the hose hangs straight down. And especially helpful if you put a filter in the chain when filling, as I do. The filter adds a lot of horizontal weight that makes the filler *really* want to bend and fall out. So I do: Hose>>Filter>>elbow>>filler. Walk away and do other things rather than wait for 39 gallons of water to fill, until I hear it overflowing. I also don't have the valve on the filler on full-blast. Slower fill but who cares I have plenty of other things to do while the tank fills.

I also have on of these water bandits in my kit. Using the filler, elbow and water bandit, makes it easy to add water to the tank while dry camping using a 6 or 7 gallon water container that has the spigot valve on it, the kind you'd use on the picnic table. Has saved the day several times allowing me to add water to the tank when no water hookup. Of course if you have a water container with a long pour tube instead of the spigot, this isn't necessary. I just happen to use the kind with a spigot that I put on the picnic table as my outside water source.

Put the water bandit rubber bit over the water container spigot, then the elbow, then the filler. If you have a ladder as many people do, can sit the container on it while filling. Or in my case...get a workout holding the container while it drains.

http://a.co/59wfh9m
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 02:04 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
Remember, a shop vac can lift a semi truck. A little pressure spread over a big surface area is a very powerful force.
So let me get this straight.
You hook up a water hose, lets assume to a threaded connection on the fresh water tank, no leaks. You open up the valve fill the tank leaving the air vent open and close it after you see water coming out and the city water pressure of 50 PSI in that tank will multiply by a factor of thousands and blow the tank apart.
Got it.

I never seen a shop vac lift a semi ether.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 02:19 PM   #44
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
Got it.

It will if driven upon a big enough inflatable pillow.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 02:50 PM   #45
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
So let me get this straight.

You hook up a water hose, lets assume to a threaded connection on the fresh water tank, no leaks. You open up the valve fill the tank leaving the air vent open and close it after you see water coming out and the city water pressure of 50 PSI in that tank will multiply by a factor of thousands and blow the tank apart.

Got it.

If 50 pounds pressure, or even a fractional part of 50 pounds of psi is contained in any RV freshwater tank it will blow up like a balloon and do damage to the hard items that surround it. It just will. Pounds per square inch multiplied by square inches of tank surface area can be very powerful.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 03:02 PM   #46
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Fallen fresh water tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
If 50 pounds pressure, or even a fractional part of 50 pounds of psi is contained in any RV freshwater tank it will blow up like a balloon and do damage to the hard items that surround it. It just will. Pounds per square inch multiplied by square inches of tank surface area can be very powerful.

The key phrase here is “POUNDS PER SQUARE INCH”. Each square foot of tank surface are is equal to 144 square inches, which at 50 pounds per square inch is equivalent to an outward force of 7,200 per square foot multiplied again by the surface square footage of the tank.

The PSI thing is why 50 psi in a tire can support thousands of pounds, even though the surface area of a tire is small when compared to a freshwater tank.

Chances are, a freshwater tank pressurized even to only one PSI would do damage to its surrounding parts, there would no doubt be catastrophic failure of the surrounding items by 5 PSI, tank failure at this point would be a blessing.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote