Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-02-2022, 07:31 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2008 532 International
Peoria , Arizona
External water Leak at wheelwell

Hello All-

We got our first airstream this year and have found a minor water leak when using city water and also water from tank. The leak appears to be completely outside, and it is not big. However, we want to make sure that it is not causing a bigger problem.

I have attached a picture and am just trying to understand where it could be coming from. AC was not running when we noticed the leaks. Water pump wasn't cycling when we were not using water either. I suspect a leak at the city water connection, but that doesn't explain why it was leaking when using our fresh tank only. We are in AZ, so we can use recommendations for a repair facility as well if it is a more involved repair.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Leak.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	410006  
twointwoout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 08:03 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Southwestern Ontario , Ontario Canada
Send a message via MSN to TRIPPPIN Send a message via Yahoo to TRIPPPIN
I would think that is just the AC drain but you specified the AC is not running. The AC drains into that area on my model so before you do anything look for that drain tube and confirm that is not where the water is coming from.
TRIPPPIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 08:10 AM   #3
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
External water Leak at wheelwell

It still can be a leak at the city water connection / regulator because when the pump is on or system has pressure water is being “pushed” into the regulator connection and be the source of the leak. Remember the regulator has a check valve in it to keep from pumping the tank back out thru it.

Where is the water connection related to your pic?
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 08:18 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2008 532 International
Peoria , Arizona
The city water connection is just above the wheels on this same side. It is not directly in the middle of the wheels, but pretty close more towards the back. I was wondering about the plumbing schematics to see how the system operates when on tank water vs city connection. So much to learn, so little time!
Old 01-02-2022, 08:19 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2008 532 International
Peoria , Arizona
Thanks for the reply. The first suspicion I had was the AC condensation, which I have noticed in that area before. But I have ruled that out completely since both times we have noticed the water leak AC was not in play.
Old 01-02-2022, 08:53 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I see the center of the tire wet. That makes me suspect that the water is pooling on top of the wheel well, dripping from the center, as well as running to the end where there is an additional wet ground spot. Where to you see drips hanging. I don't know your floor plan, nor plumbing routing, but look inside at the top of the well (removing drawers, etc??) and see if there is plumbing and pooling.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 09:18 AM   #7
The Silver TARDIS

2018 30' Classic
Hillsboro , TX
We had a leak when city water pressure was too high - 70 psi. Now we use an adjustable pressure and flow gauge to help keep the pressure under 55 psi.
BlueOx SwayPro 1506
Kevinshortnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 09:22 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Twointwoout,

I have a 2006 25FB and last summer I had to replace the city inlet connection. I am confused as to your "532" in your signature. On my trailer it was pretty easy to gain access to the back side of the inlet. It was also easy to disconnect and replace the city water inlet. I would have a look at this. My access was in the closet. I noticed water when connected to city water in the same place you are noticing. I did get some when running on the pump only but it was much smaller by comparison.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 09:26 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
The city inlet has a built in pressure reducer. My new one seems to restrict the pressure more than the original. The shower is not nearly as forceful as before. I will open the wall and connect a pressure gauge to check. Might have to get a new valve? Or a new pump? Or a new trailer?
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 09:44 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2008 532 International
Peoria , Arizona
Don't be confused by my lack of knowledge! Our trailer is a 28' International, I just didn't know which one of those numbers was the correct one to select for the trailer. I will look into this city inlet connection for sure, sounds like an easy fix if that's the problem. It does align with what you said, the leak was greater when connected to city water and slower when running off the tank
Old 01-02-2022, 09:50 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2008 532 International
Peoria , Arizona
I agree. The three locations I have found drips have been in front, back, and center of wheelwell. I just assumed the front and back spots were the low points from the main drip located in center of wheelwell. Interestingly, the refrigerator is above the wheelwell, and I did find out that I need to replace the condensation drain tube for the fridge. (it was completely crumbled and dry rotted). However, in the compartment with the refrigerator guts there was not any water at all. I looked underneath the refrigerator access panel, and it was not wet.
Old 01-02-2022, 10:02 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2008 532 International
Peoria , Arizona
Hey Aftermath, correct me if I am wrong but if it is the city water connection leaking, the leak would be completely outside of the trailer correct? I am worried about getting water leaking inside the trailer, but when I was checking inside I could not find any water anywhere
Old 01-02-2022, 11:49 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
I've had the city water inlet leak in my 2013 25FB.

Like GCinSC2 says, the inlet can leak when you are only using water from the onboard fresh tank.

In my case, the water leaked down inside the wall and then landed on the plywood floor, and spread from there (My inlet fixture is just forward of the wheel well). I have since added a water detection alarm to this area. I selected a Honeywell/Residio model that has a sensing cable that I snaked all around the floor under my closet, where there is a lot of plumbing.
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 12:21 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
Laurel , Maryland
New water search

I believe this has not been covered so far.
On my 1996 25’ , I have a fresh water tank low point drain between the wheels….. could it be?
My air conditioner drain and refrigerator drain are street side middle. Low point city water drain, just before rear bumper street side, and again fresh water tank drain curb side between wheels….. it is a simple white (on mine) plastic half turn tap to drain the tank….. good luck. Rick
Rick n Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 12:32 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Lewisville , Texas
This thread has some good info and pics that may help.

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f44...ge-208266.html
NO NOIZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 03:45 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by twointwoout View Post
Don't be confused by my lack of knowledge! Our trailer is a 28' International, I just didn't know which one of those numbers was the correct one to select for the trailer. I will look into this city inlet connection for sure, sounds like an easy fix if that's the problem. It does align with what you said, the leak was greater when connected to city water and slower when running off the tank
If your 28 is a rear bedroom, your bathroom sink and vanity are probably right there at the inlet for fresh water and the black tank flush. On my 2012 30 foot FC rear bedroom, I was able to remove the back panel of the lower storage shelf under the sink to access the rear of the water inlet and pressure reducer valve. Tightened slightly the 4 screws of the valve and the pex line female nut that hand tightens the pex to that valve. Leak stopped.
Howard L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 03:51 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Penn Yan , New York
City inlet regulator

I have responded to this same problem to at least 6 different posts.
First, it’s an easy repair from the outside. There is enough play in the line to allow you to pull the regulator from the wall cavity.
If you see water leaking outside like yours is, water is leaking in your wall. The insulation in Airstreams is of the type to dry and not get mold. (As I’m told)
I would pull out your regulator so the leak will be on the outside.
Take a plastic bag, like a sandwich bag, and run a piece of masking tape along the top edge and fasten it above the hole leaving the bottom of the hole open to dry out the wall cavity.
I would order the gasket kit, around $7+ because it will be tough to get the old one off.
Out of Doors Mart stocks both the kit and the regulator. Their regulator price is around $34+.
I feel the main cause of this problem is the lack of an expansion tank.
I have the same model Airstream (28’) and I easily installed an accumulator from Shurflo.
When you heat the water it expands and ruins your regulator. The accumulator will give the relief the system needs.
If you need more help I can be reached at (delrossa@hotmail.com)).
Sorry the picture is upside down.
Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	26CF4CF3-F9A3-440D-B11E-70CF7DE4BACA.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	273.4 KB
ID:	410037  
delrossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 04:27 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2019 30' International
Pennsylvania , Pennsylvania
I'll cast my vote for a city water inlet leak, water leaking down between the skins, and finding it's way out at the location shown.

2017 Ford CCSB F250 XLT 6.2L Gas 4x4 4:30 rear Leer Topper Ruby Red
2019 International Serenity 30 Rear Twin
majorairhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 04:37 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2008 19' Bambi
2012 23' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Bandera , Texas
We acquired a 2016 model from AZ earlier this year. It had been stored outdoors for the past couple of years. On the way back to TX we noticed a similar leak. The shore water inlet valve had cracked internally, and pushed water out whenever under pressure. Water leaked down the inside of the aluminum skin. Inexpensive repair to replace. My vote is the water inlet.
banderabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 05:51 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

2008 532 International
Peoria , Arizona
My 28 is a rear bedroom, but the water inlet side of the trailer has the fridge, closet, and shower on that side. I am guessing that the water inlet is accessed through the closet somehow from inside the trailer, I will have to go check it out. Does anybody know for sure? This looks like a straightforward fix, so I will be ordering the part and completing this weekend. I will be sure to update you guys when I have hopefully fixed it!